Sign in to follow this  
ascsbe

New FTA box

Hi.

As I do not take Sky away with me anymore I am looking for a new FTA box to use with my Sat dish that has a good EPG.  Purchased a Manhattan but that failed on second trip although the programme guide was very good. Not fussed about recording facility. Any suggestions please.

Thanks

Andrew

Both Visionplus and Avtex have FTA built in to the TV. The EPG on both is quite usable

Hi. Got a new TV so just need box. Thanks

You could use a second hand Sky box, EPG as you are used only you might find all the ones of subscription channels a little annoying.

12 minutes ago, ascsbe said:

Hi. Got a new TV so just need box. Thanks

Aren't the Freeview channels sufficient through caravan aerial?

Any Free sat (trade mark)box gets a 7 day EPG.

Humanx direct sell refurbish units, they have a non recording HD unit. These are also sold via Ebay.

I have two refurbished recording unit fro Human direct and apart from plain box they came in could not be told from new.

32 minutes ago, David 38 said:

You could use a second hand Sky box, EPG as you are used only you might find all the ones of subscription channels a little annoying.

Aren't the Freeview channels sufficient through caravan aerial?

Not in France David.

5 minutes ago, JTQ said:

Any Free sat (trade mark)box gets a 7 day EPG.

Humanx direct sell refurbish units, they have a non recording HD unit. These are also sold via Ebay.

I have two refurbished recording unit fro Human direct and apart from plain box they came in could not be told from new.

Thanks. Will have a look.

1 hour ago, ascsbe said:

Hi.

As I do not take Sky away with me anymore I am looking for a new FTA box to use with my Sat dish that has a good EPG.  Purchased a Manhattan but that failed on second trip although the programme guide was very good. Not fussed about recording facility. Any suggestions please.

Thanks

Andrew

Why not take your Sky box? Even if it does not have a subscription it will still work perfectly well on the FTA channels - and there are rather more of them on Sky than on Freesat.

Alternatively, visit your local Cash Converters and you should be able to get a Sky multiroom box with remote, mains lead, and guarantee for well less than £20. It is the same receiver internally but it does not record so is much smaller and lighter. If there is still a viewing card it it then you are laughing, if not a Freesat-from-Sky card will cost you a once off £25.

Been doing it this way for the better part of 20 years. However do note that as the satellite footprint was tightened a few years ago there is now a band diagonally across France from NW to SE - say roughly Brittany to the Jura - where you will get Sky with a 60cm ovoid dish quite easily, but due south from the Vendee, the south coast, and anything other than Belgium, Luxembourg, SW Netherlands, and the SW edge of Germany you will have great difficulty getting a signal - unless you can take and handle a 1m dish that is! For the footprint look on www.lyngsat.com for Astra 2F.

3 hours ago, ascsbe said:

Hi.

Thanks

Andrew

I have two £49 Manhattan Freesat boxes... one in the caravan and on the strength of that one, another in our guest bedroom.  Both have given and continue to give good service.  

Personally I'd buy another - the Freesat EPG is good and it is by far and away better than the standard free to air box that came with my VisionPlus kit - but I'd buy it from Curry's.  If it goes bad there is nearly always going to be a branch nearby (in the UK) for a quick exchange.

For our main TV indoors we have a Humax PVR which has also given and continues to give sterling service over a fair number of years.  It has paid for itself many many times over in terms of the endlessly increasing Sky Subscriptions we haven't paid since binning Sky. 

On the strength of that, I'd certainly look at the Humax Freesat boxes too.  They tend to have a larger footprint than the Manhattan though.

Another option may be a tv with a Freesat tuner...  smaller  Freesat TVs are becoming increasingly rare theses days but LG currently have a 28" Smart TV under £200 or a 32" a little over £200.  No box needed plus Freeview is also built in and the facility to record to a usb stick is there as a bonus.

We have looked at that option (and may yet go for it) as our geriatric  and fairly heavy 22" Samsung tv in the caravan is more bezel than screen making it about the same overall size as the LG 28" with very thin bezel.   It is also  getting a little long in the tooth and definition is leaning a little towards 'soft focus' these days.

One thing for sure is that the choice of Freesat box brands is dwindling these days.  It seems that Freesat is only endorsing Humax and Manhattan products now.   Smaller Freesat televisions are definitely on the endangered species list too.

Edited by ReggiePerrin

2 hours ago, ascsbe said:

Not in France David.

Thanks. Will have a look.

Sorry not realised for use outside UK.

A s/h Sky box will be ok in Europe further south you go a larger dish will be need but I guess you already have that.  By the way if you buy a s/h c/w with its old card it will get the BBC region of the original subscriber, no card and default will be London.

A lot of advise on Freesat and I guess what you saw on yours was the Freesat EPG. which the Humax will have.

In this country I moved off Freesat and on to Freeview because of more HD on Freeview, EG no Ch4 HD on Freesat.

Hi. Thanks for all the info. Cannot find when looking at the Humix whether I can go in and look for other Satellites in case we go deep into France and lose Astra 28.2.    Been setting these up for about 30 years so got a good handle on how far into France I can pick it up. But would like option of picking up the European satellites.

12 minutes ago, ascsbe said:

Hi. Thanks for all the info. Cannot find when looking at the Humix whether I can go in and look for other Satellites in case we go deep into France and lose Astra 28.2.    Been setting these up for about 30 years so got a good handle on how far into France I can pick it up. But would like option of picking up the European satellites.

French satellite TV requires a  Fransat or TNTsat receiver with card slot.  You can get French terrestrial TV (TNT) on a UK TV set via an aerial though.

3 hours ago, ReggiePerrin said:

I have two £49 Manhattan Freesat boxes... one in the caravan and on the strength of that one, another in our guest bedroom.  Both have given and continue to give good service.  

You must be one of the lucky few, as the Manhattans are notorious for poor components and a high failure rate...

It has paid for itself many many times over in terms of the endlessly increasing Sky Subscriptions we haven't paid since binning Sky. 

Always ask Sky for a discount, the often give 50% off for 12 or 18 months if you ask them.

One thing for sure is that the choice of Freesat box brands is dwindling these days.  It seems that Freesat is only endorsing Humax and Manhattan products now.   Smaller Freesat televisions are definitely on the endangered species list too.

Especially when Freesat are about to launch their next generation (to include 4k support , which seems pointless when no broadcaster on freesat offer such content...ok bbc have done three things in 4k, and only offered it via iPlayer!) model soon, and why Humax, who by the sounds of it dont have the next gen box contract, have stopped making the Freesat boxes , and new stock is almost depleted...

5 hours ago, Woodentop said:

If there is still a viewing card it it then you are laughing, if not a Freesat-from-Sky card will cost you a once off £25.

FSFS card currently unlocks three channels Local TV channels, 4Music and Yesterday +1

Although it will regionalise BBC1,2,itv1, and C4...but as all BBC regions are on the EPG already, and all C4 content is the same bar adverts, then it is only specific ITV1 regions that you may need a card for, if you are unable to add it to your Sky boxes "other channels list".

Although the Sky+HD bxoes do allow you to put channels into a favourites list, so you can eliminate all the channels from the EPG that you dont want, i cannot remember if the Sky HD (multiroom) box has this as well.

2 hours ago, ascsbe said:

Not sure if you can use a Humax box on other satellites...it will obvs have to be in "non freesat mode"...but i am not too sure if there is a "disecq" switch option, or even other satellite listed...so it may be point the dish, and input a frequency and see what you get...

49 minutes ago, satandpcguy said:

Especially when Freesat are about to launch their next generation (to include 4k support , which seems pointless when no broadcaster on freesat offer such content...

Freeview doesn't do 4K either.

Freesat doesn't even do Ch4 in HD !

3 minutes ago, David 38 said:

Freeview doesn't do 4K either.

Freesat doesn't even do Ch4 in HD !

But you can add C4HD to your box in Non Freesat Mode... it just messes up any planned recording you may have in Freesat mode...

1 minute ago, satandpcguy said:

But you can add C4HD to your box in Non Freesat Mode... it just messes up any planned recording you may have in Freesat mode...

Of course but its messy.

Also add many stations that way and end up with more than a Sky free to view box.

4 hours ago, ascsbe said:

I have a Humax Freesat box which I have used in Non-Freesat mode to pick up signals from Astra 19.2 east when as far away as Croatia. Obviously mostly continental channels, but can get Sky news. German Eurosport is FTA as long as you like hand ball in the evenings. No problem either to pick up normal Freesat in the Netherlands. 
John

4 hours ago, beejay said:

French satellite TV requires a  Fransat or TNTsat receiver with card slot.  You can get French terrestrial TV (TNT) on a UK TV set via an aerial though.

Well you will so long as you don't mind having picture only. A UK TV will have MPEG4 attached to DVB-T2 as used for HD in the UK. French TV uses MPEG4 sound but still only uses DVB for picture so you get one or the other but not both.

Many TVs sold in Europe have selectability in this area.

5 hours ago, David 38 said:

Sorry not realised for use outside UK.

A s/h Sky box will be ok in Europe further south you go a larger dish will be need but I guess you already have that.  By the way if you buy a s/h c/w with its old card it will get the BBC region of the original subscriber, no card and default will be London.

A lot of advise on Freesat and I guess what you saw on yours was the Freesat EPG. which the Humax will have.

In this country I moved off Freesat and on to Freeview because of more HD on Freeview, EG no Ch4 HD on Freesat.

To expand on that, a Sky box without a card gets BBC1 London but ITV1 Central West (i.e. Brum.)

You now get all channels 1-5 in HD (Ch4HD is on 138) on Freesat from Sky. You can also get most of the news channels in HD except Euronews and Sky News - Euronews used to be on Freesat but it was pulled on cost grounds maybe 6-8 years ago.

4 hours ago, satandpcguy said:

Always ask Sky for a discount, the often give 50% off for 12 or 18 months if you ask them.

Why would I want to ask Sky for a discount!  Freesat and £8 per month on demand subscription adequately meet my needs.  I was paying the better part of £60/month to Sky - admittedly, that also adequately met our needs but a 50% discount doesn't quite make it £8/month with no 12 or 18 month contract.

No matter, we are all each to our own.  Freesat, Manhattan & Humax fully meet my requirements. Sky TV subscriptions and generic FTA boxes don't.  The opposite probably holds true for your business (in Spain?).

7 hours ago, ReggiePerrin said:

Freesat and £8 per month on demand subscription

So Freesat not free then!

Freeview plus the on demands are free.

Thanks for all the info. Going to order a Humax box tomorrow. 

Andrew

2 hours ago, David 38 said:

So Freesat not free then!

Freeview plus the on demands are free.

A quick google may have served you well before you posted that.

Freesat is entirely free.  It's on demand service is also free.  

The Amazon Prime on demand tv and movie service that I also use (generally £7.99 per month or £79.00 per year) isn't free however, neither to Freeview nor to Freesat viewers.  Is is entirely optional though and it does provide other unrelated benefits too.

18 minutes ago, ReggiePerrin said:

The Amazon Prime on demand tv and movie service that I also use ...........

No mention on post about Amazon and the like.

On demand to me means I-player for BBC and the various names the other main broadcasters use for their catch up services.

5 minutes ago, David 38 said:

No mention on post about Amazon and the like.

On demand to me means I-player for BBC and the various names the other main broadcasters use for their catch up services.

As I said, a quick google may have served you well but there is a clue is in the names of both Freeview and Freesat.

'On demand' services in the context of tv are available from many providers, some of whom require payment for their services and others not.  You'll have heard of 'Netflix' (as an example) presumably?

"... and the like"

Included Netflix.