Good petrol tow car?

Think I need to change my tow car. Any recommendations for a petrol model?  Needs to tow up to 1350 kg.

Thanks

Paul

Edited by Paul90125

We have a petrol tow car, it is OK but it doesn't have the power of a diesel and uses a hell of a lot of fuel when towing. But the car is not towing for most of the time and unless a diesel car is new it will not comply with emissions regulations. Our daughter has a year to change her diesel car or pay a huge tax to take it home. Because of the regulations her car will not be worth much when she sells it.  

The Honda Accord 2.4 petrol model is a great tow car, especially the automatic version.  Plenty of power, good stability and very comfortable.  Would be a good weight match for your van.

23 hours ago, Ex-Gasman said:

We have a petrol tow car, it is OK but it doesn't have the power of a diesel and uses a hell of a lot of fuel when towing. But the car is not towing for most of the time and unless a diesel car is new it will not comply with emissions regulations. Our daughter has a year to change her diesel car or pay a huge tax to take it home. Because of the regulations her car will not be worth much when she sells it.  

Whist it’s true diesels generally have more low down torque, traditionally considered more desirable for towing, all modern cars with 2L engines have power enough for towing a 1350kg caravan. There is no doubt petrol cars drink a lot more fuel than diesels and there is insufficient price difference in fuels to compensate.  I’ve just gone back to a petrol car because my mileage has dropped considerably since retiring ...and I just like driving petrol.  I have to say I am anticipating a big loss in its resale value when I decide to change .....so not just a diesel issue.

On 19/09/2019 at 22:25, Ex-Gasman said:

We have a petrol tow car, it is OK but it doesn't have the power of a diesel and uses a hell of a lot of fuel when towing. 

Whether a car has a petrol or diesel engine has little to do with power output. The biggest difference is in how that power is delivered. Many drivers are reluctant to allow a petrol engine to run at the higher revs needed to release the power.

2 hours ago, FrankBullet said:

Agreed - there is a perception that low revs = better but it’s all about using what you’ve got to the best of its abilities, ask any 2CV6 owner!

Exactly- Remember the Honda N360 and N400 of the sixties which developed maximum power at 8000rpm?

BMW X3  3.0L or better still the 3.5i . I had one tows 2000kg or maybe brilliant tow car. All the power you need and heaps of tourque, good brakes and a bit more ground clearance and AWD. NOT 4 cyl model though. I now have a new X4 M40i  well that's something else !!! Enough power to pull the chassis from under the body ! ( joke) but a brilliant car. Just as good as an earlier X4 4.4 V8 which could tow 2700kg but a bit hungry. The six es are quite good on fuel.

Wait for the howls now !  I've been a mechanic since 1961 retired in 2015 like think can choose a good car.

1 hour ago, James Donald said:

BMW X3  3.0L or better still the 3.5i . I had one tows 2000kg or maybe brilliant tow car. All the power you need and heaps of tourque, good brakes and a bit more ground clearance and AWD. NOT 4 cyl model though. I now have a new X4 M40i  well that's something else !!! Enough power to pull the chassis from under the body ! ( joke) but a brilliant car. Just as good as an earlier X4 4.4 V8 which could tow 2700kg but a bit hungry. The six es are quite good on fuel.

Wait for the howls now !  I've been a mechanic since 1961 retired in 2015 like think can choose a good car.

Some parts of the used car trade won't deal with them as their long term reliability is suspect - no doubt though that they're a cracking drive new or nearly new.

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

9 hours ago, FrankBullet said:

Agreed - there is a perception that low revs = better but it’s all about using what you’ve got to the best of its abilities, ask any 2CV6 owner!

IMG_0097.jpg

Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he'll tell you. If he doesn't, why humiliate him?

2 hours ago, James Donald said:

I agree with you. It all depends on your attitude to fuel consumption and costs. We have a BMW X5 4.4S which is not as thirsty as I was led to believe. It is a fantastic towcar and whilst it isn't cheap to run, my wife and I are at the age now where we believe we are entitled to some luxury and hang the expense!

Gordon

• Like 1

For 1350kg many options are available, it just depends on your budget and preference.

A mid sized saloon or hatch with a modern turbo petrol engine will typically give you plenty of low down torque, more power than the same size diesel and decent economy solo.

A bit more info from the OP would be good.  Something like a Passat, Mondeo, 3 Series, XE with 2.0 turbo petrol would eat 1350kg.

Yeti 2.0TDi DSG 4X4 L&K, Octavia TSi Manual, Citigo ASG, Swift Challenger.

13 hours ago, ericfield said:

all modern cars with 2L engines have power enough for towing a 1350kg caravan. There is no doubt petrol cars drink a lot more fuel than diesels and there is insufficient price difference in fuels to compensate. 

Fuel cost was the main reason why I have had several petrol towcars converted to run on LPG. There is naturally a cost in converting but I have recovered that outlay quite quickly due to the fuel costing approximately half that of petrol. Admittedly the government has changed its support from LPG to electric power and consequently there are no longer grants available for an LPG conversion, and LPG outlets are reducing in number but I am fortunate in still having a choice of seven LPG outlets within ten miles of home with a further two just under 15 miles away, and of course I know of others in areas I frequently visit, hence my continued use for as long as I can.

image.png

These three 4x4s were all LPG powered as is our present Volvo V70

image.png

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk.

Hi , typo error , I had a 2005 X5. BMW 4.4 V8 great car 232,000 kilometers when I sold it 2 Alternators that's the only thing outside normal servicing. Obviously the newer and lowest mileage the better. With the new one 5 yrs warranty and 3 yrs free service. With the X4 3.5i 1 Water pump up to 80,000 then traded on new X4 M40i. Cost is ridiculous but as Gordon said  its time to enjoy , and I say the rainy day is here !

Edited by James Donald
3 hours ago, James Donald said:

Obviously the newer and lowest mileage the better.

Ours is the same age but only had 64K on the clock and looked as though it had just come off the production line. Best car we've ever had.

Gordon

Only towing 1350kg you have lots of options any modern turbo petrol over about 140bhp will be more than up to the job.

Edited by tom_1989