Jump to content
Tradewinds

Bailey 2020 Caravans

Recommended Posts

Today we went for a look at the new Bailey's.

In particular the Alicanto  Sintra and Unicorn Cadiz.

Big disappointment, bathrooms very small, no heated towel rails and in fact no towel rails at all, apart from the one in the shower and insufficient cupboards for storage, and no window in the bathroom. Also no shelf in the shower to place shampoo etc.

The Cadiz beds are only 26inches wide.

TV in the Sintra very awkward and bathroom about the same as the Cadiz.

Still waiting for the Swift Elegance to appear, should be soon my Dealer says. However the Coachman Acadia isn't here until middle of October/November, so the Dealer says.

Edited by Tradewinds

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tradewinds said:

Today we went for a look at the new Bailey's.

In particular the Alicanto  Sintra and Unicorn Cadiz.

Big disappointment, bathrooms very small, no heated towel rails and in fact no towel rails at all, apart from the one in the shower and insufficient cupboards for storage, and no window in the bathroom. Also no shelf in the shower to place shampoo etc.

The Cadiz beds are only 26inches wide.

TV in the Sintra very awkward and bathroom about the same as the Cadiz.

Still waiting for the Swift Elegance to appear, should be soon my Dealer says. However the Coachman Acadia isn't here until middle of October/November, so the Dealer says.

 

We all like/look for different things in a caravan, that’s why there are so many different models to choose from. There are many design features on other caravans that I don’t like, but I don’t feel the need to start a thread on the matter.

 

If you don’t like a particular model simply cross it off your list and move on to another. Others may well feel differently about the things that YOU don’t like. 

 

What is so wrong about there being no window in the bathroom? what exactly do you want one for, to gaze out whilst “enthroned”? Personally when I am about my ablutions the last thing in the world I want is to be visible to someone else. I have seen many complaints voiced about there not being some form of obscured glass in caravan bathroom windows, just proves you can’t please all the people all the time. My opinion is that Skylights provide plenty of light and a window is undesirable in a caravan, so is a large bathroom. I much prefer to have more “living space” as that’s where I spend the majority of my time. 

 

Each to his/her own of course! 

 

Andy

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Because you don't want to start a thread on 2020 caravans does not mean I can't, does it?.

I am aware that there are many different designs to suit all tastes I always look at all models/manufacturers before deciding on a purchase.

It is nice to get natural light in through a window in the shower room instead of two very small skylights not even a Heki.

I presume you have sighted these two caravans, you opinion of the caravans might be of some worth.

  • Like 1
  • +1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I live with a Cadiz and find the bathroom quite adiquate for its use. The beds suit me and my better half just right. We spend the most of our time, in the caravan, in the bed, the lounge or the awning. We are well pleased with the 24 grand we spent on it.

Your choice is your opinion, but it is YOUR choice, the Cadiz is ours. Horses for courses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I noticed on the video some of the bed lengths are 6' 12" surely this is 7' lol 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

 

What is so wrong about there being no window in the bathroom? what exactly do you want one for,

 

 

Additional fresh air for a start. Having an opening window at each end of the van gives a welcome breeze through the van  on a hot day, in addition to any skylights.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, LeadFarmer said:

Additional fresh air for a start. Having an opening window at each end of the van gives a welcome breeze through the van  on a hot day, in addition to any skylights.

 

Central bathroom, bedroom windows open, lounge windows open, through draught, sorted.

 

1 hour ago, Tradewinds said:

 

I presume you have sighted these two caravans, you opinion of the caravans might be of some worth.

 

I have a 2019 Bailey, more than happy with it, but I don’t feel the need to start a thread on the whys and wherefore of what I like and dislike. It suits ME and that’s all I care about. 

 

Andy

Edited by Mr Plodd
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's an old adage; "one man's meat is another man's poison".

 

I'm with  Mr Plodd here, the two rooflights in the central bathroom of our 2019 Cabrera are more than adequate, and the end bed/centre bathroom suits us to the ground.  There are cosmetic changes to the 2020 range which I don't like (curved overhead locker doors for example).  However somebody must have liked it, since there was an Alicanto on site where we were over the last few days (Black Knowl)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn’t really like the Alicanto for a number of reasons, lack of window in the loo wasn’t one of them mind!

 

It came across as a whole hill of money for something that’s not especially special but then I can’t really see what the vans around £30k give more than those £5-6k cheaper - much prefer the Unicorn - I feel the same about the more expensive Swift models and the Buccaneer models (that are heading towards £35k for reasons I cannot imagine). But if people want to spend their money then that’s fine.

 

We have a loo window in the Pursuit, it’s good for ventilation (we use the shower so it works with the roof light to get flow through) but I don’t suppose it’s the end of the world not having one as the shower is never left on for long or that hot!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m with Tradewinds, I wouldn’t want a van without a window in the bathroom.

As for criticising him/her for starting a thread on the subject, isn’t that what forums are for? 

Edited by LeadFarmer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LeadFarmer said:

I’m with Tradewinds, I wouldn’t want a van without a window in the bathroom.

As for criticising him/her for starting a thread on the subject, isn’t that what forums are for? 

 

It was so much as criticising as asking what the point of his original post was.   

 

We all have differing opinions of what we want in relation to caravan layout and equipment.

Surely  I am just as entitled to question the “benefit” of a particular thread as the originator is entitled to post it? And to ask the reason they don’t like a particular “feature” such as no bathroom window/the way the roof lights are configured/where the gas bottles are stored, along with all the other “variables” that are inherent with caravan design.  

 

If everyone started a post saying “I don’t like............” in the latest caravans being offered by xxxxxxxx” the forum would soon become clogged with them.

 

I’m really not trying to start any argument, I was just trying to ascertain why the OP thought it necessary to start a new thread to air their highly  personal views on a particular make.  

 

Andy

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Tradewinds said:

 

It is nice to get natural light in through a window in the shower room........

 

Well my Bailey does have a window in the shower room but we hate it because it is a clear one, how stupid is that !

  • Haha 1
  • +1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I was a Caravan newbie, I went to many sources for info including forums.  Finding out what other people don’t like is as helpful as finding out what they do like. Would never have thought about the smaller stuff like bathroom windows, ventilation, where we would hang a towel, etc.  Not necessarily deal breakers but can make a difference when considering close run options.  The OP may find a trip to theNEC in October a good place to compare the pros and cons of the 2020 models.

nanamel

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My present caravan has a frosted window in the shower room and a Heki. Nice to get morning light and sunshine in the room. I don't think a clear window would suit us at all. ( Coachman 565)

There were positives about the Cadiz, the toilet cassette locker and TV station were two.

The Sintra had a very nice kitchen.

However I still think the shower room was small and dingy, in fact even a bit claustrophobic.

Bidiway Tradewinds is a retired male with 30+ years of caravanning experience, with nine new caravan being bought over the years. We usually change the van every three years, so we are now looking for delivery 02-03/2020.

I note Mr Plodd's comments, surely I am entitled to post my opinions on a new caravan that I have checked out? and welcome other CT members comments about their vans and why they like or dislike the van.

Could be a job for eleven judges when they finish their other job next week.:D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ask yourself do caravan designers actually caravan?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our new will not have a window in the bathroom and I will miss it!

Our current van has a clear window. I love it! If I don't want be seen I pull down the blind a bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, AndersG said:

Our new will not have a window in the bathroom and I will miss it!

Our current van has a clear window. I love it! If I don't want be seen I pull down the blind a bit.

All about saving money I guess.

Clear window cheaper than a frosted one.

No window cheaper than a clear window.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Tradewinds said:

 

I note Mr Plodd's comments, surely I am entitled to post my opinions on a new caravan that I have checked out? and welcome other CT members comments about their vans and why they like or dislike the van.

Could be a job for eleven judges when they finish their other job next week.:D 

 

 

:D:) Nice one!! 

 

OK I think we now both understand each other’s points of view, but I certainly don’t want to fall out with anyone over them? 

 

Andy

 

  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mr Plodd said:

 

It was so much as criticising as asking what the point of his original post was.   

 

We all have differing opinions of what we want in relation to caravan layout and equipment.

Surely  I am just as entitled to question the “benefit” of a particular thread as the originator is entitled to post it? And to ask the reason they don’t like a particular “feature” such as no bathroom window/the way the roof lights are configured/where the gas bottles are stored, along with all the other “variables” that are inherent with caravan design.  

 

If everyone started a post saying “I don’t like............” in the latest caravans being offered by xxxxxxxx” the forum would soon become clogged with them.

 

I’m really not trying to start any argument, I was just trying to ascertain why the OP thought it necessary to start a new thread to air their highly  personal views on a particular make.  

 

Andy

 

 

Or are sure your not just annoyed he’s criticising the Bailey brand?:D

 

I formed the opinion he was merely surprised that the latest Bailey models seem to be missing some of the basic features of older models, which is a valid point for anyone looking at buying a 2020 Bailey. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nanamel said:

When I was a Caravan newbie, I went to many sources for info including forums.  Finding out what other people don’t like is as helpful as finding out what they do like. Would never have thought about the smaller stuff like bathroom windows, ventilation, where we would hang a towel, etc.  Not necessarily deal breakers but can make a difference when considering close run options.  The OP may find a trip to theNEC in October a good place to compare the pros and cons of the 2020 models.

nanamel

 

:Plus1: totally agree, exactly what we did.

 

:Plus1: on the side of no bathroom / loo window, roof light lets in more than enough light and fresh air and the only ones that can see me doing my stuff are the seagulls:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, David 38 said:

Ask yourself do caravan designers actually caravan?


I am sure they do, but for reasons of compromise a decision needs to be made about a multitude of things, sometimes it probably doesn’t end too well but that’s life. There are a few things I look at on my caravan that may appear odd but you can kinda work out they are like that for a reason and also ask yourself if it really matters.

 

We have a clear loo window, we just put the flyscreen  down during the day and the black out blind at night, neither of which is a perfect solution - however, I am very grateful for it as I can stand out the back of my van and shave my head looking in it as it doubles up as a wonderful mirror so every cloud and all that...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Tradewinds said:

Today we went for a look at the new Bailey's.

In particular the Alicanto  Sintra and Unicorn Cadiz.

Big disappointment, bathrooms very small, no heated towel rails and in fact no towel rails at all, apart from the one in the shower and insufficient cupboards for storage, and no window in the bathroom. Also no shelf in the shower to place shampoo etc.

The Cadiz beds are only 26inches wide.

TV in the Sintra very awkward and bathroom about the same as the Cadiz.

Still waiting for the Swift Elegance to appear, should be soon my Dealer says. However the Coachman Acadia isn't here until middle of October/November, so the Dealer says.

I needed to read this post again, seeing as the thread is all about toilet windows ;)  BTW , I don't care for a window in the bathroom.  Anyway, to carry on , Tradewinds thread is actually about  the new 2020  Bailey, he also mentions the Swift and Coachman caravans.  Looking for more info on  line , it seems that Bailey are pushing the 8 ft. and the Discovery caravans.  Looking  on line only really gives an overview so it is interesting to hear what someone has to say who have actually seen one.  Like we say . horses for courses. etc. bathrooms are not a great interest of mine as I'd rather use the site toilet block and also single beds are a no no as we like the fixed doubles. From what I've seen Baileys are asking a lot  of money and I dare say the other manufacturers will follow suit.  Perhaps we'll have more input on the 2020'vans after the caravan shows when folk have seen them in the flesh , so to speak . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the subject of caravan bathrooms, our Capiro doesn't have a window but I've no problem with that, in fact prefer it as the skylight lets in enough light and the window would face into the awning.

 

What does irritate me is the ' boutique sink' with tap away from the bowl. When you switch the tap off you get drips over the unit, which I think might be MDF or similar. Over time this would be an issue if spills aren't mopped up. The unit could do with being plastic / UPFC or coated

 

image.png.aace29e9679b20d7dbde4b010fa90044.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep agree with the silly boutique style sinks . The one in our U4 Valencia is a pain to use and about the tap location we have a cloth under ours to soak up the drips ! Once you start using the van you find these things out . Looks like the Alicanto has a more user friendly washroom sink .

Edited by cb300

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, cb300 said:

Yep agree with the silly boutique style sinks . The one in our U4 Valencia is a pain to use and about the tap location we have a cloth under ours to soak up the drips ! Once you start using the van you find these things out . Looks like the Alicanto has a more user friendly washroom sink .

+ 1.  The Cabrera one is even more ridiculous, because the waste sits ABOVE the bottom of the sink, so it always requires a wipe out...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...