Sign in to follow this  
dobo

Ford Kuga 13 Pin Electrics

I have just bought a Ford Kuga (2012) it had a factory fitted tow bar and electrics with a 13 pin socket. The Light on the caravan did not turn to green when i connected the caravan. I bought an alignment tool (£1.99) thinking i had knocked the plug out of position. However just out of curiosity i called in the place where i had a previous tow bar fitted to get the electric thirteen pin plug checked out. When he put his tester on he said it showed no power going to the 13 pin plug. He reckons that Ford don’t wire these plugs up with the live power supply which charges the caravan battery, anyone got any views on this subject please

Lots of factory or dealer fit towbars do not come wired with either the permanent feed for ATC or the switched feed for fridge/battery charging use. Likewise many budget price fitments.

This extra wiring is seen as an optional extra.

Edited by Stevan
  • Thanks 1

2013 Galaxy with factory fitted retractable towbar.  My ATC works 100%, as does the fridge, battery charging etc.,.

Open up the side covers in boot area and look for a rectangular Ford box of tricks that controls everything.  If you find a pile of fuses and relays then it's not OEM but a compatible version not fitted in the factory!

Search for < Ford Kuga trailer module >  and  < wiring kit >  to find pictures of the genuine Ford parts.

EDIT:  It may be a fuse failed/missing or if not OEM install then you'll need the extra wires installed to get a fully functioning system.

Edited by Rodders53
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Rodders53 said:

2013 Galaxy with factory fitted retractable towbar.  My ATC works 100%, as does the fridge, battery charging etc.,.

Open up the side covers in boot area and look for a rectangular Ford box of tricks that controls everything.  If you find a pile of fuses and relays then it's not OEM but a compatible version not fitted in the factory!

Search for < Ford Kuga trailer module >  and  < wiring kit >  to find pictures of the genuine Ford parts.

EDIT:  It may be a fuse failed/missing or if not OEM install then you'll need the extra wires installed to get a fully functioning system.

thanks rodders, what is the OEM?

2 minutes ago, dobo said:

thanks rodders, what is the OEM?

OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer.

Either made by the car maker or made by the people who made the items that the car maker fitted.

• Thanks 1

Original Equipment Manufacturer  -  i.e. a Ford-branded kit of parts made to their specs (albeit maybe not made by Ford themselves).

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, dobo said:

thanks rodders, what is the OEM? it has the rectangular box in the back, its a genuine ford box? will it take much to connect from the box to the plug?

As said you need to make sure when ordering towbar electrics that you specify it is for a caravan and you want it  fully wired as just road lights now are now 13 pin plugs on trailers .

Just asking for a 13 pin socket is no guarantee so you need twin electrics and 13 pin socket .

Dave

• Thanks 1

You may need to question the towbar fitter you spoke to.

You can have a battery connection to the van permanently live. This on its own will not charge your battery, but it will provide power to the ATC. You need a fridge connection fitted to allow the van battery to be charged - irrespective of whether you have the fridge on or not. The fridge connection needs more hardware so is a little more involved to fit (read this as "more expensive") The permanent live is simpler.

My (non Ford) OEM wiring just has the permanent live, so I make do without either fridge or battery charging, but the ATC works.

You need to assess your usage and budget before taking the next step!

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, dobo said:

I have just bought a Ford Kuga (2012) it had a factory fitted tow bar and electrics with a 13 pin socket. The Light on the caravan did not turn to green when i connected the caravan. I bought an alignment tool (£1.99) thinking i had knocked the plug out of position. However just out of curiosity i called in the place where i had a previous tow bar fitted to get the electric thirteen pin plug checked out. When he put his tester on he said it showed no power going to the 13 pin plug. He reckons that Ford don’t wire these plugs up with the live power supply which charges the caravan battery, anyone got any views on this subject please

I had a 2010 Kuga and it cost me an extra £100 for the tow bar fitter to fit wiring from the battery to the socket. (Two wires)

Pin 10 earthing via Pin 11, for the fridge, via a relay.

Pin 9 earthing via Pin 13 for the permanent live.

Normally both wires are now fuses at 15amps, although some say Pin 9 should be 20amps.

• Thanks 1

My 2011 Kuga came with a factory fitted detachable tow bar 13 pin,  minus the wiring as described above.  It cost about £90 to have the extra wiring, it was simply a matter of connecting to the 'black box' on the nearside in the boot.  It took about half an hour at a Ford garage.

• Thanks 1

We had a main dealer tow bar fitted to our Suzuki Vitara, we were offered the splitcharge feed for an extra £100.  I think it is standard practice.  Probably from the days of the white socket for the splitcharge.  It does need a relay and extra wiring so we didn't worry too much about it.  Seems to work with no problems so far.

• Thanks 1

If it's anything like my s-max then it's one wire that plugs into the loom by the control box. Try a d get hold of the fitting instructions as it should be an easy diy job

I've got the s-max info but it's  probably not the same as the kuga. You a welcome to a copy though.

Just pm me with your email address and I can send you a pdf of it

Further to the above, my present S-Max (2018) has all the wiring incorporated into the loom and it just plugs straight in so the wiring info wont be of any use.

My previous S-Max (2009) had the additional wiring which did actually plug into the existing loom however an aftermarket Westfalia wiring loom also required an extra relay as well (IMO a right royal bodge)