The road toad

Just use your mobile as a hotspot

There seems to be loads of discussion about MiFi, wi-fi boosters etc but why not just use your mobile’s hotspot. 

If your phone has a weak internet signal then surely nothing is going to improve it, or am I wrong?

At the moment we can roam throughout Europe and use our data allowance without penalty and with so many good SIM only deals I can’t see the point in spending on additional gadgets. 

Hopefully the twits that voted leave will see sense and we will be able to continue to enjoy the benefits of being part of Europe as before. 

• +1 1

9 minutes ago, The road toad said:

If your phone has a weak internet signal then surely nothing is going to improve it, or am I wrong?

Wrong in so far as some devices offer the ability to add or feature an external aerial.

I though struggle on using our mobiles, if needed placing it outside the metal skinned box that is our van.

Some packages have different data limits in the EU to within the UK.

Edited by JTQ

I have 10GB of data per month and I never use it so when on site my wife and daughter just tether to my phone and use my data, I don’t trust public WiFi.

I don’t agree that leavers are ‘twits’ though, I’ve been an ex-pat for years and live in Germany, I think leave was the right decision, the UK is only leaving the EU Empire, not Europe.

Edited by Borussia 1900
  • Like 3

Using a mobile phone is a valid option, but not always the best one.

MiFi units with an external aerial can often work with a weaker signal.

MiFi units do not consume your phone's battery.

MiFi units can continue to be used by other family members if you go out.

I tend to use the 4G signal on my phone to tether to my laptop, I only use WiFi now as a last resort.  It is surprising how good the 4G signal is now and I have only been defeated in a couple of places.

Not wishing to ignite another Brexit debate but it must be a worry that the current generous roaming rules are cut back it will make a big difference to lots of travellers in Europe. With proper security on your device WiFi should be reasonable safe to use however using phone  data is a lot safer.  Although its been a couple of years since we have holidayed in Europe the quality of WiFi, particularly in Germany has been pretty poor and expensive so being able to use your own data is certainly a boon. How difficult it would be for Networks to go back to the bad old days I don't know but the EU changes to data roaming was one of the major achievments that wouldn;t have happened had it not been for the EU.

David

I only ever had 500mb of data on my phone, so a MiFi with a pre-loaded card was my choice and it’s worked really well for me. The MiFi unit often picks up a signal in areas where a standard phone won’t because it’s not trying to run apps etc as well. However, I now have a 4Gb monthly data allowance on my phone, so I tend to use both. One is on Tesco Mobile (O2) and the other on “3”. 

23 minutes ago, klyne said:

Not wishing to ignite another Brexit debate but it must be a worry that the current generous roaming rules are cut back it will make a big difference to lots of travellers in Europe. With proper security on your device WiFi should be reasonable safe to use however using phone  data is a lot safer.  Although its been a couple of years since we have holidayed in Europe the quality of WiFi, particularly in Germany has been pretty poor and expensive so being able to use your own data is certainly a boon. How difficult it would be for Networks to go back to the bad old days I don't know but the EU changes to data roaming was one of the major achievments that wouldn;t have happened had it not been for the EU.

David

Public WiFi is at best poor and at worst non-existent in Germany, I believe they blame it on data protection and/or liability laws but Germany is generally miles behind the digital curve compared to the UK (try renewing official things on-line in Germany, you can’t, they need to keep their massive public sector employees in employment).

I’m sure I read somewhere that the various EU mobile networks have no plans to change the current free roaming charges whether or not the UK  leaves the EU with or without a deal.

Edited by Borussia 1900

40 minutes ago, Borussia 1900 said:

Public WiFi is at best poor and at worst non-existent in Germany, I believe they blame it on data protection and/or liability laws but Germany is generally miles behind the digital curve compared to the UK (try renewing official things on-line in Germany, you can’t, they need to keep their massive public sector employees in employment).

I’m sure I read somewhere that the various EU mobile networks have no plans to change the current free roaming charges whether or not the UK  leaves the EU with or without a deal

Don't agree regards German networking. Their DSL speeds and capabilities put Blighty to shame. Even Spain has huge FTTP capability compared to us.

You can be absolutely sure that as soon as the networks are unbound from EU law they will jack their prices.

When the roaming agreements came in, networks hiked their prices for Roaming around the rest of the world. EE is 1.50 a minute for calls in the US and 50p per text.

It's a right faff trying to get a sensible plan for roaming outside of Europe. But I'm sure someone will manage to make a ton of money out of it...

If I go down the road into the Netherlands (20 minutes away) Free Public WiFi is everywhere, it isn’t here.

If I want to renew a UK passport (even here outside the UK) it’s a simple 5 minute online procedure and in just 1 week I have it, if I want to do the same here I have to physically go to an official office, queue up for ages,  wait for at least 3 weeks etc

The process of applying for citizenship was an absolute admin nightmare, from one office to the next, this test, that test, took me exactly 1 year, cost a small fortune and I’ve been living and paying tax here for years.

If I’m sat in Borussia Park with 54,000 others the network can’t cope and my phone won’t work.

Drive outside of the major urban areas and your phone won’t work.

Its like the UK 20 years ago

24 minutes ago, PandR said:

Don't agree regards German networking. Their DSL speeds and capabilities put Blighty to shame. 

I’ve lived in Germany for 31 years so I think I’m reasonably qualified to pass judgment 

• Like 3

We have 10GB of data per month each on our phones with EE and use our hotspots with our tablets.

Generally EE gives good coverage in the areas we visit and our allowances are more than adequate for our needs via our hotspots.

Our new caravan came with an inbuilt MiFi with a roof aerial and has a different provider's SIM with it so might fill in any gaps in any poor EE signal areas.

Not sure about the signal from the roof aerial yet.

20190918_215008.jpg.d4f83643bdceb2f465faea16b672a823.jpg

6 minutes ago, Borussia 1900 said:

If I go down the road into the Netherlands (20 minutes away) Free Public WiFi is everywhere, it isn’t here.

If I want to renew a UK passport (even here outside the UK) it’s a simple 5 minute online procedure and in just 1 week I have it, if I want to do the same here I have to physically go to an official office, queue up for ages,  wait for at least 3 weeks etc

The process of applying for citizenship was an absolute admin nightmare, from one office to the next, this test, that test, took me exactly 1 year, cost a small fortune and I’ve been living and paying tax here for years.

If I’m sat in Borussia Park with 54,000 others the network can’t cope and my phone won’t work.

I’ve lived in Germany for 31 years so I think I’m reasonably qualified to pass judgment 

Indeed. Other views might exist.

There is very little free public WiFi in Blighty. The Netherlands being a very small country allows for such infrastructure. Germany ditto Blighty, large country.

And agree, anyone can get a UK passport without lots of bureaucracy - NI number for free healthcare - how many would you like sir? Personally, I wish they weren't handed out like confetti. 

My best mate and his family also just gained citizenship (living in Munich) and the process took just a few months with no substantial coats. Yes some form filling, citizen and language tests but they've been there for decades too and didn't find it at all troublesome.

45 minutes ago, Borussia 1900 said:

Remember that you are using one SP, but we tourists can and do roam so never loose signal.

It is often a point missed here in the UK. "Phone coverage on xxx site is rubbish" which it may be on that SP but another SP could be rock solid at the same place. in my experience O2 is by far the best for rural coverage, and EE is generally the best in urban areas (largely because they are providing the 4G infrastructure for the replacement for the emergency services Airwave system so they need to have significantly more masts as geographical coverage, not population, is what is required.)

8 hours ago, PandR said:

My best mate and his family also just gained citizenship (living in Munich) and the process took just a few months with no substantial coats. Yes some form filling, citizen and language tests but they've been there for decades too and didn't find it at all troublesome.

It varies from Stadt to Stadt, I have friends who live in different areas to me and it was a much quicker process for them, I think the quickest was 3 months, Monchengladbach are slow and bureaucratic in everything they do and it took just short of a year (11 months and 3 weeks from initial enquiry until getting issued my leather trousers).

My point is that many things in Germany (public WiFi, government services etc) are worse than the UK, the grass isn't always greener you know :ph34r:

8 hours ago, Woodentop said:

Remember that you are using one SP, but we tourists can and do roam so never loose signal.

Makes sense, when I'm visiting the UK and 'roaming' I always get a better signal than I do here in Germany. Vodafone are supposed to be the best here.

Edited by Borussia 1900

13 hours ago, The road toad said:

Hopefully the twits that voted leave will see sense and we will be able to continue to enjoy the benefits of being part of Europe as before. 

There's none so blind as those who refuse to see.

Just rebalancing the thread

Edited by Crannoghome
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Borussia 1900 said:

I’m sure I read somewhere that the various EU mobile networks have no plans to change the current free roaming charges whether or not the UK  leaves the EU with or without a deal.

Three are the only UK network that have said they will not re-introduce roaming charges in the EU, it's 'under review' for the others but Three dropped roaming charges years before they were forced to by the EU.

Unfortunately Three don't allow tethering to a mobile phone outside the UK or at least they didn't the last time I tried.

13 hours ago, The road toad said:

Not a chance but as someone said "Brexit is like people who can't read burning down the library"

• Confused 1

50 minutes ago, Lost in France said:

Unfortunately Three don't allow tethering to a mobile phone outside the UK or at least they didn't the last time I tried

What's your experience of mobile networks in France? I've found it to be fine in French towns but out in the sticks and on much of the Autoroute network there is no coverage.

35 minutes ago, Borussia 1900 said:

What's your experience of mobile networks in France? I've found it to be fine in French towns but out in the sticks and on much of the Autoroute network there is no coverage.

That's pretty much my experience although I wouldn't say 'most' of the autoroute network, just bits of it mainly in valleys

I don't think any country has 100% coverage, 3 of my 4 kids live in different areas of the UK where there is either no or only one network signal.

5 minutes ago, Lost in France said:

That's pretty much my experience although I wouldn't say 'most' of the autoroute network, just bits of it mainly in valleys

'Most' of the A31 & A6 between Nancy and Lyon apart from near Dijon, Beaune and Macon and 'much' of the A7 & A9 between Lyon and Spain. 

Spain isn't much better though.

1 hour ago, Lost in France said:

Unfortunately Three don't allow tethering to a mobile phone outside the UK or at least they didn't the last time I tried.

Depends on your contract, a normal monthly has for many years. 

7 minutes ago, Lost in France said:

I don't think any country has 100% coverage, 3 of my 4 kids live in different areas of the UK where there is either no or only one network signal.

The world over, mobile phone masts cost money so they are only erected where someone is willing to invest the money, usually where they expect enough use to make a profit.

When I'm in the UK I like to go cycling in the Peak District, never had any network problems. The only time I've lost coverage in the UK was on a recent visit to the Cairngorms National Park.

2 hours ago, Lost in France said:

Three are the only UK network that have said they will not re-introduce roaming charges in the EU, it's 'under review' for the others but Three dropped roaming charges years before they were forced to by the EU.

Not a chance but as someone said "Brexit is like people who can't read burning down the library"

As someone who can read, I still want to leave and the sooner the better.

52 minutes ago, JTQ said:

Depends on your contract, a normal monthly has for many years. 

Fairy Nuff, I use Three PAYG

49 minutes ago, Borussia 1900 said:

When I'm in the UK I like to go cycling in the Peak District, never had any network problems. The only time I've lost coverage in the UK was on a recent visit to the Cairngorms National Park.

That's possibly because you are not tied to one network when roaming.

36 minutes ago, Lost in France said:

That's possibly because you are not tied to one network when roaming

Very true but I don't get the same excellent coverage in France or Spain and I'm not tied to one network there either.

I'm with 1&1 who use the Vodafone network.

44 minutes ago, Borussia 1900 said:

Very true but I don't get the same excellent coverage in France or Spain and I'm not tied to one network there either.

Yes but France is two and a half times the land area of the UK and Spain twice the land area with similar populations.