Hitching & Unhitching

Have you tried to stand on the hitch to add some nose weight ?

If this sorts the problem then you need to do something to increase the nose weight before towing since the caravan will be trying to lift the back of the car and it will not be stable.

Edited by Paul1957

Try lowering the rear steadies 

So what happens if you get in the van and walk towards the front? I would lower the stedies slightly to stop it tipping too far.

It appears your nose weight is nowhere big enough will also cause big problems towing.

it seems to me that you are on a bit of a slope and that is why things are not engaging properly for you, if you have a mover then move the van and car to a flat bit.   However , the video on adjusting the jockey wheel should also be the answer that you're looking for. If all else fails go and ask for help, people are usually okay with that. 

18 hours ago, dobbo said:

Try lowering the rear steadies 

Yes lowered all steadies spoke to site manager he is going pull it down with his landrover to flat area if we can’t.

thanks

The idea of lowering only the rear steadies was to push the back end of the caravan up and the front down. If the front steadies are also lowered this would not help.

Let us know how you get on.

I thought Tony meant that all the steadies were raised not lowered. Perhaps he can confirm. You wouldn't hitch up with lowered steadies. 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

1 hour ago, WispMan said:

I thought Tony meant that all the steadies were raised not lowered. Perhaps he can confirm. You wouldn't hitch up with lowered steadies. 

No they are all raised

1 hour ago, Paul1957 said:

The idea of lowering only the rear steadies was to push the back end of the caravan up and the front down. If the front steadies are also lowered this would not help.

Let us know how you get on.

We are not due to leave till tomorrow will take all the weight out the car and but the awning in the front and raise the front stables.

will let you know how we get on other wise will get the site manager in his landrover to take it to level area where caravan and car is level.

just thought I might have bent the front towing area on caravan when I raise the front end of caravan to level it.

You are unlikely to have bent the caravan towbar area or the chassis. The jockey wheel is designed to take the weight of the front of the caravan and a little bit of that will be taken by the front steadies when they are lowered but the jockey wheel will still be on the ground taking most of the weight. It is when people lift the jockey wheel off the ground and just use the steadies that problems can occur.

Once on level ground check the caravan nose weight before hitching it on the car to make sure it is not too light - anything around 75 to 100 kg ought to be enough provided the car is rated for this weight (our car limit is 75 kg).

As Eric says the hitch is at an industry recognised height on any van AlKo and BPW build their chassis that way and you'd have to have really caused some damage to bend anything on the chassis to change that. The problem sounds that like most twin axles it can't dip much around a centre axis like a single axle can and the land around the pitch is lower, thereby introducing a difference in height that cannot be remedied.  With a motor mover it would be a simple matter to move the van to a spot where car and van are on the same level. It may well be that no vehicle has a towball that's at the sort of level needed and the van will require manhandling to a point that's level. I don't think messing about with weight in the nose etc will make any difference, if a twin can't curtsey, it can't curtsey, no amount of weight will make it bob.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

8 hours ago, Paul1957 said:

You are unlikely to have bent the caravan towbar area or the chassis. The jockey wheel is designed to take the weight of the front of the caravan and a little bit of that will be taken by the front steadies when they are lowered but the jockey wheel will still be on the ground taking most of the weight. It is when people lift the jockey wheel off the ground and just use the steadies that problems can occur.

Once on level ground check the caravan nose weight before hitching it on the car to make sure it is not too light - anything around 75 to 100 kg ought to be enough provided the car is rated for this weight (our car limit is 75 kg).

Thanks Paul will let you know how we get on this morning when we try to leave to go home.

All sorted once we let all the water out and put the awning in the front the caravan hitched up . I did reverse on to the pitch so it should come off which it did. I should have not panicked first time caravanning learning.

thanks for everyone’s help 😃

On 18/09/2019 at 16:24, Lost in the wilderness said:

When hitching up, after hooking on, it’s a good idea to wind the jockey wheel down, to raise the rear of the car slightly, then give the hitch a good wriggle, to ensure it’s properly connected 

At last!!