Sign in to follow this  
chapmag

D-Day Beaches.... we've been planning to do them for 30 years!!!

Hi all,

It's been a while since I've been on here.. but much has happened in our lives!!!

We moved house and built a 60 sq Mtr extension.

After many years of saying we will.. we are finally in 2020 (April/early May) going to do the D-Day Beaches.

As some of you may recall my wife suffered a brain injury  a while ago (20 years ago actually) and as a consequence has difficulty with elevations (stairs, steps and even steep slopes in the countryside).

It's a along shot... but is anyone aware of a campsite around Arromanches or the D-Day beaches that has a heated swimming pool that has walk in steps (rather than ladder access)?

Thanks in anticipation.

Chapmag.

Edited by chapmag
Smelling Pistakes!!

The,town of Bayeux has just opened a new and expensive aquatic centre and my guess is that they will have made provision for disabilities. Perhaps you can make enquiries to the tourist office.   If you stay at the very decent municipal campsite in the town you will have access to it free of charge - and of course the town is close to the Arromanches beaches, museums, and sadly to cemeteries too. 

Try camping port’land in Port en Bessin - wonderful location and the indoor pool certainly has steps into it, can’t remember for the outdoor pool though.

The site can be booked through the CMC too.

We were there in 2018 and going back next year

On 18/09/2019 at 12:39, FrankBullet said:

Try camping port’land in Port en Bessin - wonderful location and the indoor pool certainly has steps into it, can’t remember for the outdoor pool though.

The site can be booked through the CMC too.

We were there in 2018 and going back next year

Many thanks for your two responses.. we'll probably go with camping port’land in Port en Bessin as that's a confirmed walk in pool rather than the probable Municipal one. But will check out both. Thanks again. G.

It’s a superb site, I’m sure you won’t be disappointed and it’s a great location to get to all the landing beaches.  Make sure you book one of the full pitches rather than touring pitches as they are quite small