Sign in to follow this  
sarmieke

Charging

Hi can  anyone please help just been  to my caravan this weekend and on Saturday the battery didn't seem to be charging does any body know where

the Battery Charger is in the caravan (Bailey Unicorn Series 3 Cadiz 2015) I  had to put my battery pack on to get the voltage up soon I  took it off the battery volts went down,

Can someone please help me.

Regards

Mark

Are you sure that the battery is flat rather than dead?

Yes the battery is showing 7.3 volts so can only assume its the charger also when I put my battery pack

on the voltage go up and the solar panel is flashing green as before. 

Battery that discharged may never recover.

Charger-psu is built in to the Consumer units on Bailey caravans.  {Isolate mains - remove hookup cable - before opening.}

Check the main battery fuse in the loom close to the battery compartment hasn't ruptured, as well as the one on the consumer unit DC fuse panel.  A fully depleted battery can draw a high current from a charger and rupture the fuses (to protect psu-charger and, as importantly, the cables from overload).

You may find a mobile caravan technician can diagnose and sort out on site if it's beyond your comfort/ability? (Check / get the OK from the site for one to attend, of course.)

Thank you I will have a look my battery is in the floor and can't see any fuses near it could it be behind the main

consumer unit.

When you take the cover off the consumer unit, you will see the charger just sits on a ledge at the top.

The mains connection to it is simply a kettle type plug in the end of it.

It's not unusual for this to work loose and become partly unplugged .

• +1 1

On 17/09/2019 at 10:25, Rodders53 said:

Battery that discharged may never recover.

Not necessarily! I have a Ring Smartcharge Pro (pulse charger) which has recovered leisure batteries with lower voltage than that.

4 hours ago, limecc said:

Not necessarily! I have a Ring Smartcharge Pro (pulse charger) which has recovered leisure batteries with lower voltage than that.

I said may so your exceptions prove that rule.  But what capacity have the 'recovered' batteries got cf their original labelled capacity I wonder, after such abuse?