djadria

Is the Unicorn now Bailey”s Mid Range Tourer?

Looking to change my S3 Valencia - website range looks quite confused.

is unicorn now mid range?

not everyone wants a chubby eight footer?

will there be a standard width Alicanto?

:(

Looks very much as though Bailey's offer has been split in two distinct size ranges with Unicorn at the top of the sub 8ft wide range and Alicanto Grande at the top of the 8ft range.  

Sub 8ft - 

Discovery = Entry level  :  Phoenix = Mid Range  :  Unicorn = Premium

8ft

Pegasus Grande = Entry level  :  Alicanto Grande = Premium.

Pegasus used to be the mid range sub 8ft before being moved up into the Grande line up.  Could there be a gap for a new entry level Grande product with Pegasus moving to the mid range slot again?

I would suggest (opinion only) that there won't be a sub 8ft Alicanto as the three marque sub 8ft line up is full.   

The Alicanto is a mythological bird of the desert of Atacama.  Legend says that the alicanto's wings shine at night with beautiful, metallic colors, and their eyes emit strange lights.

• Confused 1

Agree with ReggiePerrin, Bailey have chosen to differentiate the 8’ and sub 8’ models.

Had a look at an Alicanto the other week, it didn’t do anything for me at all, you don’t really see the benefit of the extra width except simply more floor, and I thought it was pushing a price that the materials didn’t match.

The headrests on the sofa looked awful, like somebody had nicked them from a scrapped Rover P6.

I like the Unicorn 4, a bit much for me to justify but as a van they do come across well.

yes, we came to the same conclusion ourselves, especially when we bought the Phoenix dealer special, and apart from a few bits including the heating system, there wasn't a lot to choose between that and the Unicorn.

How do people feel about the 8ft wide 'vans that are coming out now, they don't impress me much .  Our last caravan was 7.6 or 7.8 incl side light markers so the 8ft are only 6in. wider  for a load more money. 

I’m not that enamoured with them - I can’t see that many change the layouts much, perhaps some of the Pegasus Grande models do with their u-shaped lounge, transverse beds are still the same length and so-on.

Agree on the Phoenix dealer specials too, apart from Alde heating and some niceties they are very close; the niceties are...erm...nice but £4-5k?

• Like 1

Thanks everyone - valuable comments 👍

what made  me see Alicanto as more premium was the higher spec Digital Bi door fridge - something I wished was on Unicorn - so that when parked for an hour in motorway station etc the fridge could switch automatically to gas ? Of course a crash sensing regulator would be needed - but these sort of things are the premium things u should get on a £30+ k van? 

I think top of range needs to be a bit more than a few inches wider for me.

Also at weekend - leaving a cc&M site in Dorset - I was glad mine wasn’t 8ft wide - as I struggled to get round a tight corner with my Vencia 😬😬👍

On 16/09/2019 at 23:16, djadria said:

Looking to change my S3 Valencia - website range looks quite confused.

is unicorn now mid range?

not everyone wants a chubby eight footer?

will there be a standard width Alicanto?

:(

Reading Baileys literature it would appear the Alicanto will at present indeed only be 8ft in width.

With 5 model programmes in production let's hope quality doesn't suffer....

30 minutes ago, charlieboy2608 said:

Reading Baileys literature it would appear the Alicanto will at present indeed only be 8ft in width.

With 5 model programmes in production let's hope quality doesn't suffer....

The internal fittings are all pretty much the same across the range with various door finishes, and upholstery styles, being used to differentiate between the ranges.

It’s the actual body panels (and floor) that are slightly larger, but they are made in exactly the same way. Baileys, like all the other makes, are realistically hand made, rather than using robots, when it comes to bolting all the bits together so there will, inevitably, be the odd one that has some form of “issue”  (Hopefully not mine though!) 

Andy

9 hours ago, djadria said:

... so that when parked for an hour in motorway station etc the fridge could switch automatically to gas ? ...

A naked flame is prohibited at petrol stations, motorway service areas and in most tunnels.

We freeze a couple of cartons of milk, which keep the fridge temperature down nicely.

Edited by Tigger

21 hours ago, joanie said:

yes, we came to the same conclusion ourselves, especially when we bought the Phoenix dealer special, and apart from a few bits including the heating system, there wasn't a lot to choose between that and the Unicorn.

How do people feel about the 8ft wide 'vans that are coming out now, they don't impress me much .  Our last caravan was 7.6 or 7.8 incl side light markers so the 8ft are only 6in. wider  for a load more money. 

I have to laugh at the marketing hype form the reviewers of the 8ft vans, gushing about how much extra space there is in the lounge area etc.

I can see the extra 6" helping a bit it you have a transverse island bed, so you can squeeze past a little easier, although still a struggle. 

4 minutes ago, Benny65 said:

I have to laugh at the marketing hype form the reviewers of the 8ft vans, gushing about how much extra space there is in the lounge area etc.

I can see the extra 6" helping a bit it you have a transverse island bed, so you can squeeze past a little easier, although still a struggle. 

I was very much of the same opinion until I stepped inside one.  It is really amazing just how much more spacious they are. 

Andy

They have made - for me - a disastrous mistake with the position of the radio speakers. They point directly into an earole when sitting on the bench seats. That would put me off buying one.

1 hour ago, Mr Plodd said:

I was very much of the same opinion until I stepped inside one.  It is really amazing just how much more spacious they are. 

Andy

I am still of the same opinion unless it creates a game-changing layout (such as those that have a central U-shape dinette/ double bed) or a transverse bed that you can get around easily

52 minutes ago, Artleknock said:

They have made - for me - a disastrous mistake with the position of the radio speakers. They point directly into an earole when sitting on the bench seats. That would put me off buying one.

We never use ours, they could not bother fitting them to be honest!

Edited by FrankBullet

Not seen the wide Bailey's but was inside some vide vans at the Dusseldorf show but don't see the point with wide vans. Did not like the €90000 Tabbert with a slide out either. There was only one layout that we sort of liked out of what must have been a few hundred vans!

7 hours ago, Benny65 said:

even a few inches does make a difference, but they are asking alot of extra cash for it. 

On ‎18‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 07:53, Mr Plodd said:

The internal fittings are all pretty much the same across the range with various door finishes, and upholstery styles, being used to differentiate between the ranges.

It’s the actual body panels (and floor) that are slightly larger, but they are made in exactly the same way. Baileys, like all the other makes, are realistically hand made, rather than using robots, when it comes to bolting all the bits together so there will, inevitably, be the odd one that has some form of “issue”  (Hopefully not mine though!) 

Andy

Hi Andy.

I appreciate how Bailey make their caravans-I was actually referring to the increased production numbers which may/may not upset Baileys quality control......;-)

On 18/09/2019 at 08:23, Mr Plodd said:

Andy

Popping down to Robinson's toda... if the have a 'Grande' I'll take a look. 

I seem to remember similar comments regarding the difference between 7' 3" and 7' 6" vans with the extra 3" providing a seemingly disproportionate amount of extra space.

If my sums are correct though, using Bailey's published Internal Length x Overall Width for both caravans, A Grande Porto (20' 9" x 8' 0" / 166 ft²  only provides 22.2ft² / 15.4% more area than the equivalent Unicorn Cadiz (19' 2" x 7' 6" / 143.8 ft²).   Given the price difference of £5800, each extra square foot equates to £261.26.  

Bailey did something with big wide caravans early on in the Alutech story but I can't remember what they were called.  Meant to be semi static and not very popular sales wise as I recall.

Bailey Retreat

• +1 1

12 minutes ago, FrankBullet said:

Bailey Retreat

That's the badger...  

Been to Robinson's (Brimington).  They have a single Pegasus Grande - sold so we didn't go inside but from outside, it seemed massive.

Robinson's have not a great deal of stock other than many Lunar and Ultima branded Lunar caravans.  Very few Bailey and a small handful of Coachman vans.    The shop has changed almost beyond recognition too.

13 hours ago, ReggiePerrin said:

That's the badger...  

Been to Robinson's (Brimington).  They have a single Pegasus Grande - sold so we didn't go inside but from outside, it seemed massive.

Robinson's have not a great deal of stock other than many Lunar and Ultima branded Lunar caravans.  Very few Bailey and a small handful of Coachman vans.    The shop has changed almost beyond recognition too.

Hasn't Robinsons business also been taken over from the family owner?

We have an 8ft Grande Messina on a seasonal pitch. The ‘G’ ( effectively ‘L’) shaped lounge feels really spacious.  End bedroom with in line island bed is great and you can just about get around the end of the bed when it is pulled out.  It has lots of bells and whistles such as an external BBQ point, socket and solar panels.  Irritatingly doesn’t come with a crockery rack.  Why!?  Truma heating though.  Not a problem for us.  Worth a look if you want an 8 footer.  Alicanto is another £10k.

nanamel

Theres maybe more floor space but you are not gaining locker/storage space.  

Spoke to our friendly salesman last night.  His take being he has sold 9 Alicanto v 2 unicorn since the range became available.  Given the new, novelty, must have the latest mentality of some, that’s still an impressive ratio.  Especially so given the limited layouts available in the Alicanto. 

The unicorn range has has been by far the biggest seller to press, but it may be about to loose that crown.  

It’s a shame that the unicorn is closer in spec to the Phoenix now.  If they would have put the new 10 series electronic fridge in the unicorn that would have been a more premium touch.  Even a digital version of the Series 9 fridge would have been nice. This puts me off unfortunately.

swift use the new fridge style in their mid range now.

shame 😒

23 hours ago, djadria said:

It’s a shame that the unicorn is closer in spec to the Phoenix now.  If they would have put the new 10 series electronic fridge in the unicorn that would have been a more premium touch.  Even a digital version of the Series 9 fridge would have been nice. This puts me off unfortunately.

swift use the new fridge style in their mid range now.

The lack of digital fridge and Star Trek control panels is one of the things that we appreciate.  

23 hours ago, djadria said:

shame 😒