Mattew

Swift dealers specials caravans

Hi been looking at swift dealers special caravans there hi spec with extras looks great just wondering as i have heard that othere dealers are not too keen to take them in as part exchange when changing for new caravan has anyone had any experience with this 

Edited by Mattew

Never heard this, why would they. Its usually a base model van, with some extras thrown in, depending on what the dealer thought would appeal to their customers. You will probably find that the trade in value is based on the base model in my personal experience when I traded my last dealer special

Good morning, 

We've also been looking at dealer specials.  We visited a used caravan forecourt at the weekend and the owner there seemed quite "anti dealer special" he advised we looked at a base model and used someone like their workshop to fit only the extras we required as it would be much cheaper.  We looked online later that day and by the time you take a base model and add even just a couple of extras included in the dealer special the price was already at the dealer special.  

We're not sure now if the used dealer was just trying to put us off something he was unable to supply. 

• Like 1

We have a dealer special and as Louiser said above to get what we have as extras would have blown the budget sky high. That said it’s only relevant if you want what’s on the specials otherwise your paying for something you don’t want . As for trading them in we went to the NEC last year and were blown away by the offers from both our original dealer and another in the south west . We had to go for a coffee and a think !!!! Had we not done that (because we’d only gone for a look 🤔) we would have had a new caravan and one dealer offered us any extra we wanted on top  ! This included any awning ,paint  seal ,blah blah blah. . . . . . We’re keeping away this year !!!

We had our first dealer special 36 years ago and are still buying dealer specials to the present day. Admittedly you can have all the extras fitted but you will not get the uprated seats and upholstery which we get with our dealers specials, and comfort is a number one with us.

I reckon the dealer had a base model in stock, that it had been there for too long, and he was desperate to shift it in preference to selling you the special. 

As others have said, dealer specials usually offer really exceptionally good value when compared to the model they are based on. 

I bought one at last October’s NEC. Never intended to buy, but the deal was simply SO good we would have been mad to turn it down. So we didn’t. 

Just do your research to make sure you are not being asked to pay over the odds, remember that when new the dealer special was probably only fractionally more than the base one, so there should only be a slight price differential second hand. There again, if you consider it a good deal for what you are getting then my advice is go for it. As I say to everyone

“The ONLY  purpose that money serves is to make your stay on this planet as comfortable, and enjoyable, as possible. There are NO prizes for being the richest man in the graveyard” 

Andy

• Like 1

There are some dealers who sell special editions at fancy money and some that sell them at excellent prices bearing in mind the extras added. You have to be careful which type you're patronising. Generally the former type will try and spin a line that 'their' vans will be worth more when the time comes to change. In my experience that's bunkum.

• +1 1

Thanks guys caravan I am looking at has 100wat solar panel, barbeque point extra external locker, upgraded upholstery,blinds,window in door its a swift aventura from torksey caravans it don't make sense as to why dealers wouldn't be intrested in taking them as part exchange as if i was looking for used caravan the extras would surely interest me Does anyone know if dealers special get better part exchange value on base model when trading 

Has anyone very  had any dealings with torksey caravans 

Thanks guys feedback really appreciated 

2 hours ago, Mattew said:

Thanks guys caravan I am looking at has 100wat solar panel, barbeque point extra external locker, upgraded upholstery,blinds,window in door its a swift aventura from torksey caravans it don't make sense as to why dealers wouldn't be intrested in taking them as part exchange as if i was looking for used caravan the extras would surely interest me Does anyone know if dealers special get better part exchange value on base model when trading 

Has anyone very  had any dealings with torksey caravans 

Thanks guys feedback really appreciated 

I've just purchased that same caravan from Torksey, an outgoing 2019 model. Its actually an upgraded Spite Major. We went for the M4SB (side bed) model.

id would say that the dealer is just trying to put you off, we take any caravan, good bad or ugly, if its something we wont want to retail we trade it on.

The issue sometimes does arise that a dealer special can be valued less than the standard model its based on (despite it being more expensive to start with) which of course can make it more difficult to value when taking it part exchange.

• Confused 1

48 minutes ago, Caravantech said:

The issue sometimes does arise that a dealer special can be valued less than the standard model its based on (despite it being more expensive to start with)

Genuine question - why would that be? As they are enhanced spec surely at the least they should trade at the same price or is it affected if the interior finishes are a bit...erm...odd?

we have had a dealer special in the past and they are only a good deal if you want the majority of the extra's on offer. The last one was just a saving of a few hundred, however with the dealer special we now have it's about £2000 worth for £300 extra and considering the solar panel is about £600  it was a very good deal.

Not all dealers are given the option of the dealer special, when we were looking only the dealer 10 miles and 50 miles from me had the dealer specials, the other 2 dealers in the area only had the base models.

When we trade any caravan in we are looking for the best price for exchange. We never had any trouble selling any of our 'vans. 

1 hour ago, Caravantech said:

The issue sometimes does arise that a dealer special can be valued less than the standard model its based on (despite it being more expensive to start with) which of course can make it more difficult to value when taking it part exchange.

I can't see where you're coming from on this, with any exchange it's the final price that matters, so whether or not the dealer doesn't give a such a good price on your'van or  if he's taken a bit off his caravan price( like in an end of season sale )  is neither here nor there, it's the final price that matters. 

Edited by joanie

23 hours ago, FrankBullet said:

Genuine question - why would that be? As they are enhanced spec surely at the least they should trade at the same price or is it affected if the interior finishes are a bit...erm...odd?

Its how glasses guide value it, making assumptions, id say one reason could be due to the dealer specials pricing varying so much between dealers, it makes it hard to give a definitive value for all, so only give value for the most well known ones.

also the standard model is always more instantly recognisable compared to a dealer special, so the name has its own value so to speak.

6 minutes ago, Caravantech said:

also the standard model is always more instantly recognisable compared to a dealer special, so the name has its own value so to speak.

Sounds about right. I was recently looking online for Swift Challenger 580's for sale,  and I kept coming across Swift Fairways & Swift Chatsorths etc which I initially discarded, as I wasn't sure what layout they were etc. But after visiting dealers I ended up buying a brand new Swift Aventura dealer special, which a few weeks ago I would have ignored.

• Like 1

On 21/09/2019 at 14:59, joanie said:

I can't see where you're coming from on this, with any exchange it's the final price that matters, so whether or not the dealer doesn't give a such a good price on your'van or  if he's taken a bit off his caravan price( like in an end of season sale )  is neither here nor there, it's the final price that matters. 

of course the balance to change at the end of the day is what matters to most, but the problem can arise with value, bare in mind dealer specials retails values can be anywhere from £1500 + more expensive than the standard model, so if said dealer special is worth similar or less than the standard model, it means it would have lost a larger value over the same period when it comes to part exchange time, so this is where it becomes tricky

Edited by Caravantech

Thanks guys

caravan tech do you trade in caravans  what would it roughly cost in 2 years time to trade a 2020 aventura FB similar to sprite Quattro fb for 2022 same model caravan it would be at present trading 2018 van for 2020 what's cost range to change