Sign in to follow this  
Charliefarlie

Tv Aerial stopped working.

Our TV signal is dead.

i have signal from the aerial no problem. But when the plug is into the Vision Plus Digital  amplifier VP1 I’m getting no signal at either of the two aerial outlets in the van. 

It was working fine but now it’s stopped.

So in short I have signal going into the Amp but none at the outlets.

Suspect the Amp has failed. Do they do this ?? Is it possible that they just fail ?? 

Many thanks.

Oh and we are away right now So replies doubly appreciated. 👍👍👍

How do you know the aerial is giving a signal?

Is the amplifier switched on?

• Like 1

Any part of the system can fail. The aerial, the cables, the amplifier or the TV itself.

If you have been able to establish that signal is getting to the amplifier but not being output from it then you have diagnosed your problem, or at least established that for some reason it is not working.

Edited by Stevan

Now I apologise if this isn’t the case but....

You say it was “alright before” So have you moved location since the last time you used your TV?  (You day your away so that could well be true) 

If you have then you need to retune your TV as the frequencies of tv transmission alter around the country. 

If you connect your TV directly to the lead from the aerial do you get a picture? If not then see above!  I have found that since Freeview has become widely available around the UK I have not needed to switch the amplifier on the signal passes through without needing a boost!

Andy

Sorted now....

Definitely the Amp. 

I managed to scrounge a male into female co ax cable connector which allowed me to bypass the Amp. Normal service resumed. 

I was able to check I had signal at the aerial as there is a connector that goes into said Amp. So I plugged that into my signal detector. 

So the Amp has failed as it has signal going in but none whatsoever coming out.

Yes it was switched on.

And no we hadn’t moved location.

Thanks 👍👍👍👍👍

Is it receiving the supply of 12 volt?

Have you checked the fuse supplying the amp?

Yes the Status amplifier boxes can and do fail.  (I have the T-shirt).  Mine (pre the VP series) had the led lit but very slightly dimmer than normal!  It is worth checking the 12V power source  with a meter, though.

You will find the 530-style of direction log will work adequately direct-connected to the receiver in many locations;  so the amp-attenuator-splitter box can probably be replaced at your leisure.  The one site my 530 didn't work on had a booster system to connect to with a long coaxial cable.

Fringe make an alternative https://www.fringeelectronics.co.uk/12vleisure.html with and without a signal meter.  They work well (I used one for a time before getting a new caravan).

Many caravan dealers will likely stock the Status amps, if desperate, as well as all the usual mail order culprits.

Just for information... 

With the Amp fitted and working I get 9 bars out of ten on my Fringe Electronics signal detector.

With NO Amp I get 8.......... 

Picture quality absolutely unaffected . Zero difference. And this site is has a notoriously poor reception. 

I think Mr Plods comments above  are correct with digital an Amp is not really needed. 

It is something that really bugs me. The CMC persistently show the TV signal what I believe to be from analogue days - they haven't caught up with the digital revolution yet!

We've just come back from River Breamish NW of Alnwick in Northumberland. The handbook says TV reception poor and that a pillar cable system is available. I checked the site before we went and found Chatton Tx (20KW on the PSB muxes and 10KW on the Coms) is only 6.5 miles away and has a very minor grazing signal path at the site end. In practice I have never seen such a good signal. 100% quality and 98% signal on every mux. Turn the (VP3) amp down to minimum gain and the quality stayed at 100% but the signal went down to 56% but ne'er the slightest problem with the picture/sound on any station. We were pitched closest to the rising ground giving the grazing path, but even those at the far end of the site were getting good signals as well. Many of course just accepted what the handbook says and used the pillar feed: the guy next to us in a Coachman with one of those useless Avtex bee-sting things had no option but the use the pillar!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Ours failed but was less than 2 years old.  I used a meter to test it and found the signal was better without the amp, so I sent it back to the makers and they replaced it under warranty.  No problems since.

Think the club work on basis of an omni aerial ;) with their reception suggestions.

But they are certainly digital aware:  the Stover site, outside Newton Abbot, has an active deflector self help transmitter (although I found my pitch had good direct reception of Beacon Hill) and the self-help was faulty anyway when I visited (a good few years back) with the installer-maintainers coming from South Wales to fix.  {The deflector is Vp, the main transmitter Hp.}  CMC had analogue SHs, and still have other digital I believe.

Also remember DVB-T/T2 is pretty much perfect reception or nothing at all - there's a digital cliff edge that is easy to fall over.

My 530  unamplified worked perfectly at most sites on the tour when the amp failed;  but not at Troutbeck Head - so I used their cabled system.  An amplifier may well have worked there? So in my view, occasionally, an amplifier will be required but could be bypassed normally. 

e.g. at the Bourton-on-the-Water CMC site (Notgrove) I swapped out the Status VP amp for a Vision 5V masthead amp (20 dB iirc) powered by my PVR to get better reception from Hannington.

Diffracted signals (e.g. at Breamish) can result in 'standing waves' where precise aerial position (up/down, crab left/right and fore/aft) can reinforce or cancel out some frequencies compared to others;  so it can be 'luck' as to whether reception seems good or bad.  Trees around such sites also have a major influence on reception, with wet or dry making a difference.  Such things will vary pitch by pitch.

I've just returned from Stamford, Top Lodge where aerials were all over the place - some even canted to 45 degrees or vertical.  All transmitters there (Waltham, Belmont and Sandy Heath) were affected by the trees and could break up intermittently.

1 hour ago, Rodders53 said:

I've just returned from Stamford, Top Lodge where aerials were all over the place - some even canted to 45 degrees or vertical.  All transmitters there (Waltham, Belmont and Sandy Heath) were affected by the trees and could break up intermittently.

I've increasing seen aerials at 45 degrees and wondered why?

1 hour ago, Black Grouse said:

I've increasing seen aerials at 45 degrees and wondered why?

Tilting at 45 degrees sometimes seemed to work if picking up a reflected signal from a hillside or building, particularly to prevent ghosting on the old analogue system.

3 minutes ago, Stevan said:

Tilting at 45 degrees sometimes seemed to work if picking up a reflected signal from a hillside or building, particularly to prevent ghosting on the old analogue system.

Thanks - I didn't know that.

I have never understood why sites don’t simply put an arrow with a H or V next to it on the site plan.  This simple suggestion would make life a little easier for initial set up.

John

It baffles me why residents don't just go look where the warden's aerial is pointing and which way up it is and then set their aerial the same way!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Woodentop said:

It baffles me why residents don't just go look where the warden's aerial is pointing and which way up it is and then set their aerial the same way!

That'll work well for those with the round omnidirectional flying saucer type of aerial with nil or very poor reception then ;)

There are still an awful lot of them in service.

22 hours ago, ReggiePerrin said:

That'll work well for those with the round omnidirectional flying saucer type of aerial with nil or very poor reception then ;)

There are still an awful lot of them in service.

If you've got an omni, you don't need to,  it's already set up for all directions at both polarisations

2 hours ago, bspks said:

If you've got an omni, you don't need to,  it's already set up for all directions at both polarisations

...and they work significantly better on DTTV than on analogue.

On 19/09/2019 at 21:22, Woodentop said:

...and they work significantly better on DTTV than on analogue.

Where they work.  

Which isn't everywhere.

The spectrum planners rely on the use of directional aerials by receivers to reject unwanted signals from other sites.  That is becoming even more important with the compression of usable transmit frequencies from 21 to 68 originally, 21 to 60 currently and soon to be 21 to 48 only from the same (slightly more in fact) transmitters.

DVB-T/T2 is more immune to reflected signals that caused (annoying/unacceptable) analogue ghosting which is why the omnis get away with it in many places.  I can only recommend using directional aerials.