Sign in to follow this  
Ellie0529

Can I live in a static caravan on my own land legally?

Hi all, I'm looking for some help and advice please.

My partner and I are looking into buying some land of about 2 - 3 acres. We would like to live on this land permanently in a static caravan for the purpose of 'smallholding' (we will have stables and horses) . Can we does this legally, or do I require planning permission? And how much would it cost to get plumbing etc installed in the caravan?

Also, could someone give me an idea of costs, like council tax and utility bills?

11 minutes ago, Ellie0529 said:

Hi all, I'm looking for some help and advice please.

My partner and I are looking into buying some land of about 2 - 3 acres. We would like to live on this land permanently in a static caravan for the purpose of 'smallholding' (we will have stables and horses) . Can we does this legally, or do I require planning permission? And how much would it cost to get plumbing etc installed in the caravan?

Also, could someone give me an idea of costs, like council tax and utility bills?

I think you may need planning permission, the best people to ask are the planning authority and council for council tax.

Not enough information to answer some of the other questions, how far from drains, electricity and water are you?

macafee2

Almost certainly you will need planning consent. There was a case in the papers a while back where someone did exactly what you are contemplating. Council forced them to remove it! 

As Macafee as said, seek advice from your local planning dept BEFORE committing to anything.

Andy 

• Thanks 1

If you put a static caravan on a field (presumably agricultural land), you will need planning consent if its there for more than 28 days. The utility companies will not consider a request for services if you haven't got that consent. There are all sorts of things you can do illegally, but if you go 'by the book'  its going to be difficult to do what you want. People who 'buck the system' usually get found out and it can be prohibitively expensive. 

• Like 1
  • +1 1

Horses do not count as agricultural, so you would not be able to claim that you are using the land as a smallholding. - indeed, if the land is already classed as agricultural you would need to apply to planning for change of use in order to keep horses  on it (and most councils will be reluctant to give permission).

Stables will also need planning permission.

As already suggested, if you have a piece of land in mind, Talk to the planning officers at the local council and they will be able to give you some guidelines about what you can use the land for, and what structures you can put on it.

If the land is already used for equestrian business - maybe a livery yard or riding school - and you are planning to continue the business, then you may be able to get planning permission to put a static home for whoever is running or supervising the business - but it will probably come with restrictions about not being used as a permanent/full-time residence.

As said you need to apply and get permission before you buy the land or buy land with permission for a dwelling .

Dave

You definitely need planning consent and it’s extremely unlikely you will get it. 

1 hour ago, Charliefarlie said:

You definitely need planning consent and it’s extremely unlikely you will get it. 

And with good reason, I'm sure it would be an eyesore for the locals.

I know here they are very strict here as first it is a static caravan then it grows into a six bedroom detached with further applications .

Dave

As others have said the obvious answer is to contact the planning authority where you are proposing to buy and use this land. Some authorities are significantly more stringent than others and some can be very draconian in exercising their powers, so relying on random guesses from this forum may lead you down the wrong path and cost you a lot of money.

Other costs will depend on where you propose to site it and how far from services you'll be so it's impossible to guess or come up with a ball-park figure, so you need to get quotes from the service providers.

We had a couple of people trying it on with statics where we used to live and the council shifted them off. There's also one near where we live at the moment and they've been visited by the council and instructed on the limitations of use - only whilst work is being carried out on their property and there are time limits to avoid it becoming a permanent fixture.

Hi there:

As the other posters have said you WILL need planning consent to use a caravan as a "dwelling" i.e. to live there.  

All planning authorities ( it will be the local Borough council you need to contact not the parish or the county county council) have a contact for private citizens to ask questions about planning and you can have a pre-planning meeting for a minimal cost to go through ths issues to see if it is viable.

The horse/stables bit is slightly more complex as agricultural buildings  (which could include stables possibly) have a different set of rules to dwellings, but again this can differ from authority to authority ( some authorities allow a farmer to build a barn without planning permission  but not a farmworkers cottage)

The utilities issue is another matter completely, again as stated the utility companies might not supply services without planning permission, however the main point is the cost. Providing mains water and power can go from hundreds of pounds to tens of thousands  of pounds depending how far away they are from the plot, sewage is easier to sort as you can have a "cesspit"  which you then pay to have emptied as required though that itself isn't cheap.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

This is even more complicated by the fact that the OP wants to keep horses on the same land.

Stables also need planning permission, and that will be as hard, if not harder, than planning permission for a static.

Horses are unpopular with planning departments for good reasons  - they are seriously detrimental to grazing land,  stables produce large manure heaps which can be both costly and difficult to dispose of,  the storage of hay/straw/woodchips is a big fire hazard (come to that, so are manure heaps), and "horsiculture" has an unfortunate reputation for making the location look scruffy.

ADDED:

Horses and stables for horses are NOT considered as agricultural.

Edited by 2seaside
added line

Almost two weeks and the OP hasn’t returned. This was their very first post.

Andy

They are probably busy tarmacing an elderly persons driveway. 

15 minutes ago, LeadFarmer said:

They are probably busy tarmacing an elderly persons driveway. 

Nah. They would not have bothered to ask about council tax.

2 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

Almost two weeks and the OP hasn’t returned. This was their very first post.

Andy

looks like she got her answer and went.

Ellie , where are your manners?

• Like 1

1.You can use agricultural land for 29 days of the year for other purposes.

2. Agricultural land can be used for equine use provided it is not exclusive. Meaning you must keep some  agricultural crop, animals/birds  as well as and in greater numbers than equine (horses, llama , alpaca all are equine) on the property. After 10yrs it would be possible to keep just equine or you could apply and file for change of use.

3. Planning is definitely required for stables, although some councils are OK with mobile versions on skids which don't need planning.Stay away from land ssi and aonb as these have added rules and check for covenant restricting land use separate from the council.

4. If you intend to run a business that requires someone to oversee livestock, lambing, Alpaca, Chickens etc... It is possible to get permission for a caravan onsite, tho this can have different rules imposed by different councils.

5. It is possible but not a walk in the park.

6. Get a good land solicitor, rather than these kinds of site which are often unhelpful. Best of luck.

Before someone jumps in .Alpaca and lama are camelids , but come under equine in UK land/farming.