Sign in to follow this  
KathyJM

Watching downloaded movies

If I download a movie before I leave home - from, say, Now or Netflix - onto my Android device, can I then play it on the caravan TV via a cable connection if there is no WiFi?

28 minutes ago, KathyJM said:

If I download a movie before I leave home - from, say, Now or Netflix - onto my Android device, can I then play it on the caravan TV via a cable connection if there is no WiFi?

I don't know the answer but are you able to download now, turn off your wi fi and then play the film?

macafee2

Do you have such a cable for your Android device?  It would need to have a video output port.  Or does your telly have a USB socket?

Unless your Android device specifically allows output of a video signal via cable then it is not possible.

If it is downloaded onto a android tablet maybe it could work then?

1 hour ago, KathyJM said:

Try it! Best way to be certain.

https://www.howtogeek.com/201822/how-to-connect-your-android-phone-to-your-tv/

gives some info that may - but may well not - apply to the "android device" and TV set concerned.  Experts would need make and model of the device and TV to read the specs etc.,.

Can a Chromecast TV work on a 'wifi hotspot' from a device casting to it?  {Too lazy to mess around and try mine out to see if it can.}  If it can that may be a potential solution?

But 'try it at home' is the best advice to be sure it works, before holidaying!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, macafee2 said:

I don't know the answer but are you able to download now, turn off your wi fi and then play the film?

macafee2

Yes

24 minutes ago, satandpcguy said:

A quick google search using "netflix download to watch later" brings up the NEtflix help page for this question :

Downloading TV shows and movies on Netflix : 

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/54816

This assumes I want to watch a movie on an 8" tablet screen, which I don't. 

You don't say what your android device is or what make TV you have.

We are also Android users, both phone and tablet. The phones, TV & tablets are all Samsung. I can tether the phones or tablet to the TV and watch whatever is downloaded from Netflix, via Bluetooth.

The real question is whether your tablet has an output compatible with any of the inputs on the TV?

Ok, I do a version of this, but it's very specific... I'm an Amazon Prime customer, and with an Amazon Fire Tablet and a Fire TV stick it all works...

You can download the movies to the Fire Tablet (at home).  With the FIre TV stick in the TV and connected to a mobile hotspot WITH MOBILE DATA TURNED OFF!!! I can play all the Prime Video I want.  I would guess that a Chromecast could function in the same way...

Edited by Guzzilazz

A Smart TV running Android would allow you to cast the movie from your phone directly.

If the TV isn't smart buy a Chromecast. You might need a Wireless AP to connect the phone to the TV or the Chromecast device.

I downloaded movies and complete series to an sd card in my phone then using a  lead from ebay I play the downloaded content on my TV using an HDMI port. My phone  is a Samsung S5

4 hours ago, Guzzilazz said:

Ok, I do a version of this, but it's very specific... I'm an Amazon Prime customer, and with an Amazon Fire Tablet and a Fire TV stick it all works...

You can download the movies to the Fire Tablet (at home).  With the FIre TV stick in the TV and connected to a mobile hotspot WITH MOBILE DATA TURNED OFF!!! I can play all the Prime Video I want.  I would guess that a Chromecast could function in the same way...

I  tried this with a Chromecast  and could not get it to work.  It needs full a router not just wifi

Edited by Ex-Gasman
Typo

I do this with an old Samsung Note 4.

You need to use a phone that supports MHL video output and you buy an adaptor that goes into the phone and has an hdmi output on it. Most also have a micro usb on them so you can charge/power the phone at the same time.

Some of the Samsung S range also support it but it seems to be an old technology now and not included in newer phones.

here is an example but there are cheaper ones out there.

https://www.samsung.com/uk/mobile-accessories/hdt-adaptor-mhl-2-h10/

Incidentally, I also use the same old Note 4 as a satnav running the Magic Earth app, which will allow you to import the Archies Camping locations.

Magic Earth is free and you can downkload the maps for the countries you will visit before you set off and then turn data off completely..

What is the function of  "Mirroring" as on a mobile phone.  We do not have any under 10 grand children clsoe by to show us.  :D  We have Netflix at home.

25 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

What is the function of  "Mirroring" as on a mobile phone.  We do not have any under 10 grand children clsoe by to show us.  :D  We have Netflix at home.

Mirroring is replicating on one device what you are viewing on another.

We have Apple TV plugged into our home TV, using the Apple TV I can display (Mirror) on the TV what I am looking at in my iPhone.

Similar functionality is available for Android devices.

20 minutes ago, Grandpa Steve said:

Mirroring is replicating on one device what you are viewing on another.

We have Apple TV plugged into our home TV, using the Apple TV I can display (Mirror) on the TV what I am looking at in my iPhone.

Similar functionality is available for Android devices.

Okay thanks.  Our TV is over 10 years old so doubt if it will work however the Avtex is only 3 years old, but no idea if phone can be mirrored to TV.

2 hours ago, Durbanite said:

Okay thanks.  Our TV is over 10 years old so doubt if it will work however the Avtex is only 3 years old, but no idea if phone can be mirrored to TV.

The TV connects to the Apple TV via HDMI, so as long as the TV has one you can connect.