Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
PWoodley

Weight Plate Upgrade

Recommended Posts

Type approval CoC's are always supplied to the customer on the Continent because of the significant volume of vehicles purchased in one country and registered in another.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Towtug said:

It is quite possible that you never see the C of C for a new car also. Manufacturers issue the C of C electronically to their dealers, they then use this info to apply for the first time registration, the info on the C of C being used to populate the V5c. 

The logical conclusion of most trailer manufacturers is that in the UK there is no final use of the C of C information by a statutory body as there is no registration requirement. If you take a larger O3 or O4 trailer there is a requirement to register and therefore manufacturers have to issue a C of C

 

Does the owner of a new caravan, or car, have the right to be given the CoC?

 

When I had Vauxhalls, the CoC was always in the document pack.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

 

Does the owner of a new caravan, or car, have the right to be given the CoC?

 

When I had Vauxhalls, the CoC was always in the document pack.

The directive does not specify that the customer should receive the C of C, it says the manufacturer shall prepare and deliver with the vehicle a C of C to satisfy the requirements of the regulatory act. 

If you think about it the manufacturers customer is the dealer, so if anyone should provide the C of C it should be the dealer. Herein lies a potential problem, where a dealer modifies the vehicle in any way ie add movers etc, they effectively become a second Stage manufacturer and should therefore have type approval themselves and issue their own C of C.

However the UK authority are not concerned by this for light trailers so it is not enforced.

Nothing stops a customer asking for the C of C , and can request a duplicate, the manufacturer cannot refuse but can only supply a duplicate where you can prove ownership etc, and they can charge reasonable costs in doing so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Black Grouse said:

 

Does the owner of a new caravan, or car, have the right to be given the CoC?

 

When I had Vauxhalls, the CoC was always in the document pack.

The directive does not specify that the customer should receive the C of C, it says the manufacturer shall prepare and deliver with the vehicle a C of C to satisfy the requirements of the regulatory act. 

If you think about it the manufacturers customer is the dealer, so if anyone should provide the C of C it should be the dealer. Herein lies a potential problem, where a dealer modifies the vehicle in any way ie add movers etc, they effectively become a second Stage manufacturer and should therefore have type approval themselves and issue their own C of C.

However the UK authority are not concerned by this for light trailers so it is not enforced.

Nothing stops a customer asking for the C of C , and can request a duplicate, the manufacturer cannot refuse but can only supply a duplicate where you can prove ownership etc, and they can charge reasonable costs in doing so.

 

Incidentally just had two new Kias delivered today neither have C of Cs in the documentation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Towtug said:

Herein lies a potential problem, where a dealer modifies the vehicle in any way ie add movers etc, they effectively become a second Stage manufacturer and should therefore have type approval themselves and issue their own C of C.
 

 

The way it works here in Germany if a dealer (or the owner himself) carries out a technical modification to the vehicle, is to submit documentation to a vehicle testing station, such as the TÜV, and if they are satisfied with the modification, they will issue the necessary paperwork with which one goes to the vehicle licensing office where they will amend the details in the equivalent of the V5c. Neither the dealer nor the owner become a second stage manufacturer, but the the modification is nevertheless documented. It's rather like a mini IVA.

However, if the component already has national type approval and the documentation to prove it, the vehicle registration document does not have to be changed, but one does have to carry the paperwork in the vehicle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lutz said:

 

The way it works here in Germany if a dealer (or the owner himself) carries out a technical modification to the vehicle, is to submit documentation to a vehicle testing station, such as the TÜV, and if they are satisfied with the modification, they will issue the necessary paperwork with which one goes to the vehicle licensing office where they will amend the details in the equivalent of the V5c. Neither the dealer nor the owner become a second stage manufacturer, but the the modification is nevertheless documented. It's rather like a mini IVA.

However, if the component already has national type approval and the documentation to prove it, the vehicle registration document does not have to be changed, but one does have to carry the paperwork in the vehicle.

It's the same here but with one difference.  It's not really policed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But manufacturers do provide all sorts of extraneous bumph when buying a new van. So why decide not to print off a formal CofC as well? T'is only a bit of A4 and some printer ink.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Steamdrivenandy said:

But manufacturers do provide all sorts of extraneous bumph when buying a new van. So why decide not to print off a formal CofC as well? T'is only a bit of A4 and some printer ink.

 

At least then one would get a documented actual weight of the vehicle, which is about as close as one can get to an ex-works kerbweight, the only difference being the 75kg for the driver included in the actual weight but not in the kerbweight and 10% less content in the fuel tank. The actual weight is documented under item 13.2. You won't find it anywhere else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actual mass is defined just as MRO plus optional equipment. As a manufacturer can specify a range for the MRO  the actual mass can still be quite a bit out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/09/2019 at 20:51, Towtug said:

Actual mass is defined just as MRO plus optional equipment. As a manufacturer can specify a range for the MRO  the actual mass can still be quite a bit out.

 

The CoC for my car specifies a range for the MRO but only a single figure for the actual mass.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Lutz said:

 

The CoC for my car specifies a range for the MRO but only a single figure for the actual mass.

That would be normal. The MRO may include a range for a number of Versions, the actual mass will be for the specific Type, Variant and Version that represents the car.

That being said it can still be a bit out as often options are dealer fit.

Edited by Towtug

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...