Sign in to follow this  
boltonbob

truma ultrastore

arrived on site yesterday plugged in and tripped the site out. everything ok last time out 1 month ago. have now isolated fault to water heater and now running on gas

everything else is working fine. is this likely to be a blown element and if so is it an engineer job or can I do it myself?  please give me inspiration thanks bob

I tend to work on the theory

“A man put it together so a man (I.e. me!) should be able to take it apart” 

That doesn’t always work because some things have “single use” fasteners which are designed to break (and cannot, of course, be purchased)

By The sounds of it you are probably correct about the element and they are certainly designed to be replaceable, you just need to figure out how it’s done. Take it slowly and photograph EVERY stage so you know which bit goes back where!

I am sure you will get it sorted.

Andy

There are videos on Utube explains how to replace it!

It's a comparatively easy job to do IF you know what you are doing.    A slight problem may arise where the unit has been fitted too close to the furniture.     Often the use of a mirror is helpful to see the holding nuts.    Finally, if you're not familiar with mains electric, the job could become lethal.    If you have doubts, call in a caravan engineer.

• Like 2

First identify the precise model of Ultrastore.  Then identify what the spare parts needed are likely to be.  (Different models have different element types/ratings).  DO be seated when you search for the element as the prices will be eye-watering (but they do include new sealing gaskets etc.,).

Then, using the appropriate measuring instruments identify the fault is with the heating element and not anything else that may be easier to fix.  (Damaged cable, loose wire?).  As stated already access to the heater unit and element can be the biggest problem.

A mobile technician may be able to do the job at a competitive rate as they will get trade prices on the part, and know the 'tricks' to do so quickly and efficiently.  So worth a call?

I’ve just replaced the element on mine, it did exactly the same as the OP,  i.e. it tripped out the mains on our first night away.

I waited till I got home then removed the entire unit.

Remove all the screws securing the vent on the outside of the van.

Un couple the water pipes.

Disconnect the mains and 12 volt wiring plugs

Disconnect gas pipe.

Remove screws securing unit to floor of caravan (mine had three)

With unit out on the bench remove the plastic outer covering to gain better access to the heating element.

Remove heating element (two small nuts) along with the “electrical component” ( another two screws) 

Pull out element.

Refitting is simply a reverse of procedure.

My element cost just over £100 

Hope this helps.

1 minute ago, The Coachman said:

My element cost just over £100 

That really is an outrageous price when compared to the cost of say a domestic oven element. What’s the betting it’s not a “standard” element that fits loads of other appliances and Truma just buy them in, relabel them, whack the price up, and sell them on?

Nice little earner Rodney, nice little earner!

Andy

many thanks for all your replies I now have a bit more confidence I can carry out the repair. agree the part price

is outrageous thanks again -bob

1 hour ago, Mr Plodd said:

That really is an outrageous price when compared to the cost of say a domestic oven element.

It's for a caravan!   Any item that has 'Caravan' associated with it is ten times the price of a comparable item.   I fitted a thermocouple recently.   £41 from Dometic dealers.   An oven thermocouple off ebay cost me £6.      Or the TUT1 Truma Ultraheat temperature thermostat £25.   The similar device for a Baxi or Potterton £4.50.    As you say - It's outrageous!