Sign in to follow this  
Siobhan Corr

Hyandai i40 tourer automatic

Hello I am going to trade in my car shortly year 2014. Just wondering if the Hyandai i40 tourer automatic diesel is too low to tow a caravan? Is the saloon model higher off the ground. I will be towing an Elddis Xplore 304. 

I was also thinking of buying a Kia Sportage automatic diesel

Many thanks for your advice

Hyundai has dropped the i40, or will be shortly.

How can a car be "too low to tow"?

Unless you are planning to go off road, a low centre of gravity is good, as long as the suspension is firm enough.

Just now, Stevan said:

Unless you are planning to go off road, a low centre of gravity is good, as long as the suspension is firm enough.

hitting sleeping policeman, tram lines at the site so the centre of the road is higher thus hitting the underside or jockey wheel?

macafee2

2 minutes ago, macafee2 said:

hitting sleeping policeman, tram lines at the site so the centre of the road is higher thus hitting the underside or jockey wheel?

macafee2

Hitting sleeping policemen means that the car is too low to be on those roads anyway.

Grounding the jockey wheel means either that the towbar is too low or the rear suspension is too soft.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

Hyundai has dropped the i40, or will be shortly.

Many thanks for your reply

34 minutes ago, Stevan said:

36 minutes ago, Stevan said:

43 minutes ago, macafee2 said:

macafee2

Type approval ensures the towball is at a standard height

Tow ball should be at the same height whether you have a BMW M-Sport saloon or a Range Rover.

Rear suspension stiffness and rear overhang make all the difference.

12 minutes ago, logiclee said:

Tow ball should be at the same height whether you have a BMW M-Sport saloon or a Range Rover.

Rear suspension stiffness and rear overhang make all the difference.

1 hour ago, Stevan said:

41 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

1 hour ago, Stevan said:

Hitting sleeping policemen means that the car is too low to be on those roads anyway.

Grounding the jockey wheel means either that the towbar is too low or the rear suspension is too soft.

well, unfortunately those roads may be the ones that need to be driven.

re read my post, particularly the bit that says "tram lines at the site so the centre of the road is higher thus hitting the underside or jockey wheel?"  Neither tow ball too low or suspension too soft apply in this case.

Was at a CL last week and this was a major concern, my road wheels touching the ground a couple of inches below the centre of the road

macafee2

1 hour ago, Black Grouse said:

is that before or after a caravan is attached?

macafee2

8 minutes ago, macafee2 said:

well, unfortunately those roads may be the ones that need to be driven.

re read my post, particularly the bit that says "tram lines at the site so the centre of the road is higher thus hitting the underside or jockey wheel?"  Neither tow ball too low or suspension too soft apply in this case.

Was at a CL last week and this was a major concern, my road wheels touching the ground a couple of inches below the centre of the road

Towball should be at the same height whatever the vehicle  solo. If it is low when hitched it is because the suspension is soft, or noseweight high.

Low ground clearance can be a problem with some cars, as can soft suspension, but the problem is not that the car itself  is low.

Lots of replies but no help / advice at all.

I have towed with the Kia Sportage Diesel and it was a lovely towing vehicle, stable, smooth and very capable.  

I have never towed with the Hyundai but  I believe the i40 is 1700cc and would wonder if it would be slightly underpowered.

Edited by Robbido

Many thanks for your reply. I will more than likely go for the Kia Sportage automatic. 

With the size of the Xplore 304 I think the Hyundai would tow the van very well. Saw a couple of these vans towed by a Vauxhall Astra and a Golf when away a few weeks ago

Edited by Benny65
spelling

13 hours ago, Stevan said:

11 hours ago, Stevan said:

Towball should be at the same height whatever the vehicle  solo. If it is low when hitched it is because the suspension is soft, or noseweight high.

Low ground clearance can be a problem with some cars, as can soft suspension, but the problem is not that the car itself  is low.

My towhitch rides at  the absolute minimum recommended height from the road (even have rear spring assisters to stop suspension droop when hitched) AND there is a long rear overhang! That’s the issue i have as the “leverage” when leaving the long table platforms the French use tends to make the jockey wheel come into (heavy) contact with the ramp on the platform. I have wrecked a few jockey wheels, even at a VERY slow (just moving) pace.

I now remove the jockey wheel and axle when towing. The split pin has been replaced by a “R” clip/pin. Removal /replacement takes seconds and saves the cost of a new jockey wheel. 

So in essence there are certain vehicles where, even if everything is correctly loaded the jockey wheel is still vulnerable. 

Andy