Our next van is likely to be a Chipping Sodbury Bailey Phoenix 640 or possibly the slightly more upmarket version called Bailey Unicorn Cabrera.

The Cabrera comes with an Alde 3020.

We prefer it to be cooler in the bedroom and that should be easy with the truma, the long trunking from the front bench should keep it cooler in the bedroom at the rear but how does Alde work? Is there a reducer or a thermostat in the bedroom or will the entire caravan have the same temperature?

If we do have to lower the temperature in the whole van does it take a long time for the temperature to rise when there is no fan to help with the heat distribution? I believe there is a timer but is that s standard feature?

We use our van in the winter and heating is important for us.

If designed correctly, a big "if" in this industry, then the Alde installation will be built with less convectors in areas needed to be a bit cooler, more in the lounge area and where the control thermostat is located.

If a right cock up then simply leave an old towel "blinding" the air flow over the convector(s) servicing the bedroom, very easily addressed getting places to be cooler.

Edited by JTQ
  • Like 1
  • +1 1

Most caravanners rave about the Alde, I don't as it's less effective than a well-sorted Truma blown system. My Alde doesn't react quickly to changes in temperature or demand so we run it on 1kw and use a 1kw fan heater to supplement, that shouldn't be necessary but works better.

The heating and hot water interact with each other, often to the detriment of both.

It would be possible to have the Alde system modified to give more than one circuit, with independent thermostatic control

Our alde system has the boiler under the fixed double bed, it also as you can imagine gives of heat, we tend to lower the heating to around 13deg at night, and 15deg during the winter days. The caravan for me has a nice ambient temp throughout.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

Most rave about the Alde, I don't as it's less effective than a well-sorted Truma blown system. Alde doesn't react quickly to changes in temperature or demand so we run it on 1kw and use a 1kw fan heater to supplement, that shouldn't be necessary but works better.

The heating and hot water interact with each other, often to the detriment of both.

It would be possible to have the Alde system modified to give more than one circuit, with independent thermostatic control

Is that not exactly the same with the modern Truma systems with integrated blown air and water heating?

Gone seem the days of separate boilers and space heating.

I was really worried about the heat coming up the side of the bed from the Alde radiator, but it’s been fine. We do reduce the night time temperature to around 14 degs, so it only comes on if it’s a really cold night. Daytime setting goes off about an hour before we usually go to bed and then comes back on about an hour before we get up. We don’t like the van to be too hot, so ours usually runs between 17/19 degs during the evening. Although the Alde Heating is great, I had absolutely no problem with the blown air system (Truma Combi 4E) in our previous van.

21 minutes ago, JTQ said:

Is that not exactly the same with the modern Truma systems with integrated blown air and water heating?

Gone seem the days of separate boilers and space heating.

I don't have practical experience of the present Truma system

The Alde system can have a second room thermostat which is sold as an accessory. The set up permits either of them to be used at night and day. All you do is set it to respond at night to the bedroom thermostat, and living area thermostat (concealed in the control panel) in day time. 

It is very simple to program the Aldi to give you automatic temp changes

you can set the clocks as we do for example

SWMBO likes to sleep in a fridge so the night mode is set to 12deg. With the hot water switched off.  From 11 pm to 6 am ( saves gas / electric)

6am it’s programmed to 19 deg and water on ( warms up van, but not to much)

7.30 am to day time temp. About 21. (Nice toasty showers)

these timings are kept in memory (battery back up pack needed)

so on arrival we hit the on button and choose. Electric or gas or both

Bailey worked very closely with Aldi on the installation design and warm ups are now much more rapid. Our mk 3 Valencia takes about half the time our mk 1 did.  Friends with the mk 4 say it’s even quicker. 

As you you are considering chipping sodbury caravans I have a suggestion. The BAILEY OWNERS CLUB are having their AGM rally on Stratford race course site on 10 to 13 Oct. pop along and ask the members. I guarantee you will get a friendly reception and once experienced ALDI is a revelation

SWMBO puts it forcefully.     No Aldi no SWMBO

41 minutes ago, Alan Stanley said:

It is very simple to program the Aldi to give you automatic changes

set the clocks as we do for example

SWMBO likes to sleep in a fridge so the night mode is set to 12deg. With the hot water switched off.  From 11 pm to 6 am saves gas / electric)

6am it’s programmed to 19 and water on warms up but not much)

7.30 am to temp. About 21. Nice toasty showers)

are kept in memory (battery back up pack needed)

arrival we hit the on button and choose. Electric or gas or both

Alan, in my experience it is not necessary to have the battery back up to retain the  switching timings or the night day set temperatures, only to retain the actual time ie the "clock". All the more fiddly bits are retained, just not the actual time.

So, all that needs doing once you have sorted all your presets is to set the clock after towing has wiped that single set value out.

Still, having the battery back up kit cures even that chore and is well worth the few minutes invested in installing one.

Sad reflection on the industry these battery backups are not a standard factory fit on all units, but very much par for the course.

Edited by JTQ
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, JTQ said:

Sad reflection on the industry these battery backups are not a standard factory fit on all units, but very much par for the course.

Standard on all latest Unicorn with 2 AA battery supplied.

Edited by oldboy
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, oldboy said:

Standard on all latest Unicorn with 2 AA battery supplied.

Great, our protestations here and elsewhere finally tipped the penny.

Had been a prime example of "do not spoil the ship for a ha'porth of tar"

As an owner of the very caravan you are looking at (Platinum 640) I am able to provide you with first hand practical experience. So......

1. The Truma blown air system fitted is VASTLY superior to the previous generations of blown air.

2. All of the trunking is internal so you are not trying to heat the world.

3. The supply to the bedroom is indeed through narrower trunking so the bedroom does remain cooler than the lounge, which we far prefer because we hate a hot bedroom.

4. The heating can operate on “half power” electric, full power electric, gas, or all combined and that is like a blast furnace and heats the whole van up, from freezing, to toastie in about the time it takes to boil a kettle.

5. The heating has a timer feature! So you can set it to come on in the morning before you wake up (a really nice touch)

6. The boiler is under a front bunk so, when in bed, you cannot hear it operating (unlike some ALDE systems that seem to keep people awake.

7.With the boiler under the bench, even if just used for water heating the space gets reasonably warm, so provides a bit of heating, plus, if you wish, you can lift the seat cushion and use the seat base slats as a drying rack for your small overnight! 

We are very very pleased indeed with our 640, if you would like any more info, or just a chat about it then Pm me for my contact number. 

Andy

Not had a van with modern Truma.  But the Alde is a world of difference from the old blown air.  But expect longer initial warm ups.  This is because you are heating the body of the van, not just the air.  But then this is also why it feels more comfortable when up to temperature.  To heat on very cold day, on initial set up use a fan heater and the Alde on gas, or gas plus 1k.  I don’t recognise the problems that BG does.

The day and night setting are OK to set up but I don’t use them as the heating then ends up controlling you.  Once up to working temp it takes seconds to make adjustments when going to bed, getting up or when going out we just change it to a moderate temperature.  There is a hot water only setting and a boost.  But never use either and we have two hot showers every morning.

Some vans may not be, but the  convector sizing in our van spreads the heat nicely.  

Whats good for me is the evenness of the temperature.   I found that warm air varies around the van.

What would be nice to have, is some method of directing heat to the bathroom only.  So it could be used for drying and airing.

John

Where the Truma beats the ALDE system is in summer.  In summer you can have the Truma system pumping cool fresh year around the caravan to create a slight breeze.

The old Truma blown air systems were usually badly insulated under the floor - once you eliminated that, it worked very well - just as some Alde systems are badly installed with insufficient flow of cool air getting to the convectors.

10 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

The old Truma blown air systems were usually badly insulated under the floor - once you eliminated that, it worked very well - just as some Alde systems are badly installed with insufficient flow of cool air getting to the convectors.

On our Lunar we had to have it modified for the ALDE system to work correctly.  We found that the ALDE was not heating the caravan up properly but the front bunk seats were getting very warm.  No issue after the modification however the caravan should have originally been designed taking into account the ALDE system.  The caravan was a higher spec of a base model that had a Truma system so I guess instead of the Truma they stuck in the ALDE without taking into consideration different heating parameters. 

Modification for heating..jpg

2 hours ago, JCloughie said:

What would be nice to have, is some method of directing heat to the bathroom only.  So it could be used for drying and airing.

John

You mean exactly like you can do with Truma blown air??

Andy

3 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Andy

Yes, but still Alde for me.  But each to their own.

John

3 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Andy

Yes, but still Alde for me.  But each to their own.

John

Installation is very important, not all manufacturers take any notice of Alde       (Source = Alde engineers )

Worth looking here    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pnr3tzEnvIM

And the opposite  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5P2blCvHbas