We’re doing Italy but at Easter - far too far to drive for a couple of weeks in the summer even from Cambridgeshire, staying at Camping Fabulous outside Rome and flying on Ryan Scareways, no way I’d take the van for a couple of weeks.

For a couple of weeks I’d not bother flying and just drive but without the van!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Babstreefern said:

Never been, but heard that pitches are very tiny

I don’t see a comment based on what you have heard as being very positive to the gist of the thread. More helpful if you give us an example of a tiny pitch in Italy you have been asked to site a caravan on. In over 10 visits to Italy with a caravan over 7m long I’ve never been unable to find a site with a suitable size pitch. Some pitches may be small, but ACSI do list the sizes of pitches available for those who may have some reservations over size. There can be issues of spacing between units, but to counter that I have never been instructed as to the orientation a unit should adopt on a pitch except where the physical nature of a site such as trees etc determine how to pitch. 

John

• Like 1
  • I agree completely 1

Having been to SOME Italian campsites (the lakes and another near Venice) I can confirm that most pitches seem to be designed for 6m max motorhomes/caravans. At the time we had a 7.5m motorhome and on a fair few pitches the ONLY option was for the front or rear to “overhang” the access road! Before anyone asks that was the only orientation possible as the pitches were not wide enough to have the MH cross-wise.

Mrs P always refers to going onto an Italian site as “Combat Camping”  with, I have to say, some justification. 

Another thing, when we went to the lakes (late Sept) we were turned away from five before we found one with ANY empty pitches. The sites were rammed full of (retired) German and Dutch couples (all of who were VERY sun-tanned indeed) So it pays to book if you want to be at a specific location.  Oh, and take some earplugs, most Italians don’t seem to have volume controls fitted! 

Andy

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

23 hours ago, John19 said:

I don’t see a comment based on what you have heard as being very positive to the gist of the thread. More helpful if you give us an example of a tiny pitch in Italy you have been asked to site a caravan on. In over 10 visits to Italy with a caravan over 7m long I’ve never been unable to find a site with a suitable size pitch. Some pitches may be small, but ACSI do list the sizes of pitches available for those who may have some reservations over size. There can be issues of spacing between units, but to counter that I have never been instructed as to the orientation a unit should adopt on a pitch except where the physical nature of a site such as trees etc determine how to pitch. 

John

I can only comment on sites that advertise their pitch sizes.  In France, most are over 100sq.mtrs+.  In Italy, its more like 80sq.mts or less on some, especially round the lakes

Hi Omega, have to agree with a lot of the comments that basically its too short a time, too far a distance and too long a MH.

That's not to say it cant be done but do you want to do something you enjoy or endure?

Routes are going to be expensive for a MH that size-fuel and tolls-and you will probably struggle to find any pitches that will be suitable. As mentioned sizes are not big with 60-70sqm being quite normal and, as you have a MH, accessing many pitches will be a challenge-we travel with friends with a 8m HM.

If you can go a little earlier that may help with costs as a lot of sites stop taking the ACSI card at the end of June and if you avoid France it is possible to get to Garda from Harwich toll free until you reach Italy, this being a route we have traveled.

If you do go and can share the driving that would also help you to travel further each day and I would not even think about overnight sites, ujsing the MH on aires/stelplatz etc, but concentrate on getting to Garda.

On 23/09/2019 at 12:34, Allan Guest said:

Hi Omega, have to agree with a lot of the comments that basically its too short a time, too far a distance and too long a MH.

That's not to say it cant be done but do you want to do something you enjoy or endure?

Routes are going to be expensive for a MH that size-fuel and tolls-and you will probably struggle to find any pitches that will be suitable. As mentioned sizes are not big with 60-70sqm being quite normal and, as you have a MH, accessing many pitches will be a challenge-we travel with friends with a 8m HM.

If you can go a little earlier that may help with costs as a lot of sites stop taking the ACSI card at the end of June and if you avoid France it is possible to get to Garda from Harwich toll free until you reach Italy, this being a route we have traveled.

If you do go and can share the driving that would also help you to travel further each day and I would not even think about overnight sites, ujsing the MH on aires/stelplatz etc, but concentrate on getting to Garda.

Thanks for that, unfortunately we cannot go any earlier as its our daughters 40th birthday in Juky and she has her mind set on spending it in Italy. So last week in June and first in July it what we have. They are excited about the prospect of travelling and are used to the miles (everywhere is a long distance in Australia) however I think they underestimate the volue of traffic in Europe.

We went to Italy for May and most of June this year.  We took the Newcastle - Amsterdam ferry.  We routed Ijmuiden to Arnhem then A3 almost to Munich before going Garmish Partinkirken then over the Brenner Pass. The first day we drove to Wertheim am Main where there is a super night halt just off the A3 with a cheap fuel station as a bonus and no Tolls. 

The second night was at Mittenwald, the site is just beside the road.  Day 3 was straight past Innsbruck and over the Brenner Pass and we were enjoying a cup of tea at the site in Fusina looking across the lagoon to Venice by 3 in the afternoon having deliberately taken the scenic route via Cortina d'Ampezzo as a break from motorway driving.

Having wandered around Italy for a few weeks, we returned from a small lake in the Dolomites over the Brenner then almost the reverse of our outward route but stopping at Augsburg (site just off the autobahn by the airport) and Wertheim am Main.  The roadworks on the A3 seem to have been completed and apart from an hours pause following an accident on our return journey, we cruised at about 55 mph indicated averaging 48 mph overall on both journeys.

I think that this is the quickest and cheapest way to reach the Italian Lakes although you do have to pay to use the Brenner Pass and also the Autostradas on the Italian side.  We picked our night stops as the closest to the route and also they were ACSI.

Only you can decide whether you want to spend 2 and 1/2 days of solid motorway driving in each direction to get to the Italian Lakes.  They were crowded in June and Italian pitches are small so it feels much more cramped when crowded than in France for example

We did Lake Garda in 2010 from Portsmouth as a starting point.

We took the ferry to Ouisterham  and drove 250 miles a day for three days to reach Lake Garda.

We stayed 3 weeks which made the travelling worthwhile but I wouldn't entertain it for less than three weeks.

As has been said the pitches in Italy can be small/tight. Will do a lot of site research if we decide to go again!!

We booked a premier pitch but we still had a situation where we were A frame to A frame and unable to open our side windows if our neighbours had opened there's before us!!!

Love Italy.. but it takes time and research to enjoy it to the full!!!

HTH. G.

So many people who go to Italy only go to  Lake Garda and overcrowding there in summer is inevitable.  It's the ultimate tourist honeypot. We looked but didn't stay.

We found places in Tuscany and Umbria that we liked far more, and places high in the Dolomites and around  the south side of Mont Blanc which were a relief from the heat in August. 

Edited by moorgate
  • I agree completely 1
  • 1 month later...

Hello Richard.

I am Italian and I am happy to know that your next trip will be in my country. I think I can help you organize your trip. I think this trip can be done in about 15 days, when you head directly to Italy with overnight stops only. I'm thinking of a quick, inexpensive, and with as few problems as possible.

For this reason I would abandon the idea of ferry from Newcastle to Amsterdam. It takes too long and costs too much. 

It takes about 17 hours, the same amount of time you drive from Newcastle to Milan. 

I would avoid the very expensive French motorways and avoid Austria where motorways are even more expensive (for motorhomes over 35 ql) and payment is made with "Go-box".

Therefore my Itinerary is Calais-Basel avoiding paid roads. As you know in France there are many highways where you don't pay.

Then through Switzerland I would go to Milan and then to Lake Garda. In Switzerland you do not pay the motorway with the "vignette" but with the transit for one day for vehicles over 35 Ql. (3.5 F / Ch). You pay at customs by filling out a form.

In particular from Calis A16 and then A25 towards Lille. Then A27 and E42 towards Namour. Then E411-A25-A31 towards Metz. A 31 for Nancy. N333-N59 and N83 for Colmar. A 35-A 36 for Basel. San Gottardo Tunnel and Milan. Then Milan-Venice motorway and exit for Lake Garda.

Tomorrow we will continue. Thanks. Good evening.

• Like 3

Italy is wonderful and there are many places to see. Three months would not be enough to visit it all.

The period you chose is fine. You should avoid  last week of July and the first three  weeks of August because of  traffic and above all crowded.

Near Lake Garda you must visit Desenzano and Sirmione but all the towns on the lake are beautiful. Furthermore, if you have two children, you must go to  "Gardland", the largest  italian amusement park. You should have a lot of fun.

"Gasparina" campsite is the right place for you. It's lovely and cheap, and you can walk to Gardland. It's really near. 

The cities to visit are Verona, Padova, Trieste and Venice.

Liguria is a wonderful land on a wonderful sea but very, very crowded   all year long and especially in summer time. Unsuitable at the weekends.

There are many mountains and with narrow roads and difficult passages for a motorhome like yours.

Furthermore, the municipal administrations are not very welcoming for motorhomes.

It should be better to avoid.

If you decide to go to Liguria, tell me  and  I  will give you some  usefull  advices.

For me  it should be better to stay in that area and to visit the Adriatic sea (a different sea from the Ligurian one) where tourists are always  welcoming. For exemple Jesolo, Lignano Sabbiadoro , Ferrara and Ravenna. Rimini, San Marino, Fortezza di San Leo. Grotte di Frasassi.

And if Gardland isn't  enough for your children nearby there is  "Mirabilandia", another amusement park.

After that I think you will be tired and you will be able to go back, maybe crossing Germany.

Much as I like using my caravan I would never use to travel abroad.

We visited Lake Garda area four years ago and stayed in a lovely apartment in Desensano. We flew from Malta to Gerona  ( I think) as we were already on holiday in Malta. Hired a car a saw a good part of the Lake Garda area.

Only comment was we were in the middle of a bank holiday so roads were “rather busy” especially with suicide bikers.

Why give yourself the extra stress tugging a van all that way.

2017 Mercedes Benz 220 CLS  AMG design Shooting Brake. 

11 hours ago, The Coachman said:

Much as I like using my caravan I would never use to travel abroad.

We visited Lake Garda area four years ago and stayed in a lovely apartment in Desensano. We flew from Malta to Gerona  ( I think) as we were already on holiday in Malta. Hired a car a saw a good part of the Lake Garda area.

Only comment was we were in the middle of a bank holiday so roads were “rather busy” especially with suicide bikers.

Why give yourself the extra stress tugging a van all that way.

5 weeks in Italy is worth a little bit of stresss.

2015 SorentoKX2 pulling a 2011 Sterling Eccles Moonstone

2 hours ago, Steve W77 said:

5 weeks in Italy is worth a little bit of stress.

Definitely and I don't like the hassle of airport lounges, hire cars and restrictions resulting from booking accommodation. 

John.

If the daughter insists on such a tight schedule, I would look at doing your own thing at your own pace and meeting up with them in Italy for a week or so.

• 1 month later...

We are on a 15 day holiday at present and 15 days is OK, more so with a motorhome.

Late June/Early July is not too busy, but from around the 15th July - run for the north!

Any further info, please ask, we have a motorhome too. We use a lot of free camperstops rather than sites.

Russ

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.