Italy anyone?

Hi all, thinking of going to Italy next year from the North East of England. We have been to France numerous times but thinking of venturing further. Looking at stopping in Southern Germany, then across to  Lake Garda and down to La Spezia on the Ligurian sea back via Southern France. I have a couple of questions.

1. Thinking about the crossing we were considering Newcastle to Amsterdam but it seems very expensive so possibly Harwich or more likely our usual route through the tunnel. Has anyone any veiws or experience of the Northern ferry crossings?

2. We are going to travel late June into July how busy is Italy likely to be? We have never been to Italy before except to ski so travelling in the summer will be all new any advice would be greatly appreciated.

3. We will be travelling in convoy with a large Motorhome 8.5 metres so we will need to use decent roads any suggestions?

4. Lastly probably the killer we are likely to only have 14 -16 nights so is this road trip/ holiday sensible. We will have 2 eight year olds in th MoHo.

Many thanks for your comments.

Richard 

I think you need a longer holiday or give up Italy and travel a shorter distance. 

Tis too long a distance to drive for the children.

• Like 2

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Have a read of this blog, hope this helps and good luck.

Bailey Pageant Series 6 Champagne 2007    Tow Car Toyota Rav4

We’ve done Italy, but as a split holiday, staying at lake Lugano for a week before then travelling over to Garda.

we crossed on the ferry to Dunkirk then drove over to Luxembourg for an overnight stay before travelling through Switzerland. Our holiday was July/ August so can’t advise on your schedule, but yours should be much quieter, apparently our schedule coincided with the Dutch national holiday.

We have been to Italy quite a bit over the years, a lot of blogs on my website. If you are only going for a couple of weeks I would suggest going no further than Lake Garda and even that will be a push in two weeks. If you want a bit of variety stay a few days in Austria on the way down. Wouldn't go anywhere near France until you are near your port of departure not because I don't love France but just practicality.

David

• Like 1

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Niro HEV  for home.

Caravan Travels

We've been to Italy a few times from the North East. We have used the Amsterdam ferry but recently it has got to be too expensive so the last couple of years we've gone from Hull. Either Rotterdam or Zeebrugge give an easier journey to Germany than the channel ports.  We've always taken 4 weeks. To do Lake Garda and beyond in 2 weeks is a bit ambitious IMHO. We always travel in June and early July and you need to watch out for the German (Bavarian) school holidays as Lake Garda is really popular with them. There's  websites where you can check the dates.  ACSI sites are often not available during these holidays. Like David, I would recommend Austria, especially the area around the Lakes (St Wolfgang, etc). We love Italy but you won't do it justice with just two weeks .

John M

2017 Skoda Superb Estate 2. 0 Tdi 190; 2014 Swift Challenger 530SE + Powrtouch Evolution

Thanks guys, its what we thought. But our daughter and her family are coming over from Oz and they are spending 4 weeks in Europe. 1 week seeing relatives in this country, then pickingnup the Motorhome and wanting to travel as I mentioned finishing up with a short week with us before going home. TBH they wanted to go further into Italy than I mentioned but we are not keen. I have sent them an itinary which includes 3 nights in the Black Forest and 3 nights in Lake Garda but its still 8 days travelling out of 15 and some of the distances are quite long. They cant seen to understand the difference between driving in Oz and driving in Europe!

Thanks for your advice.

Richard

1 hour ago, Omega54 said:

Thanks guys, its what we thought. But our daughter and her family are coming over from Oz and they are spending 4 weeks in Europe. 1 week seeing relatives in this country, then pickingnup the Motorhome and wanting to travel as I mentioned finishing up with a short week with us before going home. TBH they wanted to go further into Italy than I mentioned but we are not keen. I have sent them an itinary which includes 3 nights in the Black Forest and 3 nights in Lake Garda but its still 8 days travelling out of 15 and some of the distances are quite long. They cant seen to understand the difference between driving in Oz and driving in Europe!

Thanks for your advice.

Richard

I mentioned Lugano, we stayed at TCS Piodella. This is on the lake side, fantastic views and 10 mins drive from the Italian border, Lake Como is half an hour away. This would reduce the travelling and you still get a lot of Italy for your money!

18 hours ago, WispMan said:

I think you need a longer holiday or give up Italy and travel a shorter distance. 

Tis too long a distance to drive for the children.

I agree. Half the holiday will be travel. The roads will be very busy

Olympus II 620-6 & Mitsubishi Shogun

Follow us on FacebookInstagram and Twitter

1 hour ago, Dave Capiro owner said:

I mentioned Lugano, we stayed at TCS Piodella. This is on the lake side, fantastic views and 10 mins drive from the Italian border, Lake Como is half an hour away. This would reduce the travelling and you still get a lot of Italy for your money!

Thanks Dave sounds good to me - just need to convince my daughter.......

19 hours ago, Doosan said:

Have a read of this blog, hope this helps and good luck.

Thanks Doosan, very interesting and helpful. You suggest that 4 weeks would be necessary to enjoy the trip more and I tend to agree however I think our family have different ideas. Quick question if I may. Did you head directly to Italy by that I mean merely have overnight stops or did you stop for longer en route?

Cheers Richard 

2 hours ago, Omega54 said:

Thanks Doosan, very interesting and helpful. You suggest that 4 weeks would be necessary to enjoy the trip more and I tend to agree however I think our family have different ideas. Quick question if I may. Did you head directly to Italy by that I mean merely have overnight stops or did you stop for longer en route?

Cheers Richard 

Richard, the blog that I posted is not mine but one that I found on the web. Just a quick search and this blog came up.

Google is your friend.;)

Bailey Pageant Series 6 Champagne 2007    Tow Car Toyota Rav4

Hi my husband and I have arrived at Lake Garda from Chester le street travelling with our caravan. We crossed Dover to Calais through Germany with 2 stops then a stop in Innsbruck Austria and here to Lake Garda.  On average a minimum of 200/250 mls per day taking between 6-8 hrs with traffic and maybe 1 stop for lunch.  We did stay 3 nights then 1 night and 3 nights it was quite taxing for us without children but I suppose in a motorhome they can play board games to relieve boredom.  Coming straight through 1 day/night to Dover (340 mls) and 3nights/4days to Italy. It’s still cutting it fine to have 1 week here. 

Hope this helps

18 hours ago, millerhouse12 said:

We always travel in June and early July and you need to watch out for the German (Bavarian) school holidays as Lake Garda is really popular with them. There's  websites where you can check the dates.  

https://www.schulferien.org/deutschland/ferien/2020/

2015 3. 2 Auto Mitsubishi Pajero tugging a 2016 Tabbert Pucinni 2. 5e

Having been to Northern Italy from the south coast of GB I would also say that for just 14-16 days holiday it’s simply too far. You will, realistically, need  4-5 days to travel each way, especially in convoy, and that doesn’t leave much time “on site” 

According to AA route planner Calais to La Spezia is 806 miles and 12.5 hours driving but that’s with just a car which doesn’t have the same speed restrictions as a car + caravan or a large MH does.

THEN think of the fuel costs,  800 miles at about 25mpg  is 64 gallons for the return trip, at roughly £6 a gallon that works out at £384! Now add in the ferry/tunnel costs AND your U.K. mileage to get to the ferry/tunnel AND your campsite fees :o

My advice would be to VERY seriously rethink your plans and advise your relatives of the various opinions that have been expressed by people on this forum who HAVE actually driven to AND from Italy so speak from a position of experience.

Its simply too darned far in the time you have available! Sorry. 

Andy

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

11 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Having been to Northern Italy from the south coast of GB I would also say that for just 14-16 days holiday it’s simply too far. You will, realistically, need  4-5 days to travel each way, especially in convoy, and that doesn’t leave much time “on site” 

According to AA route planner Calais to La Spezia is 806 miles and 12.5 hours driving but that’s with just a car which doesn’t have the same speed restrictions as a car + caravan or a large MH does.

THEN think of the fuel costs,  800 miles at about 25mpg  is 64 gallons for the return trip, at roughly £6 a gallon that works out at £384! Now add in the ferry/tunnel costs AND your U.K. mileage to get to the ferry/tunnel AND your campsite fees :o

My advice would be to VERY seriously rethink your plans and advise your relatives of the various opinions that have been expressed by people on this forum who HAVE actually driven to AND from Italy so speak from a position of experience.

Its simply too darned far in the time you have available! Sorry. 

Andy

Thanks Andy, my oh and I feel its a bit optimistic but if I said what they wanted to do you would be shocked. My gut feeling at the mo is that if the want to go to Italy then we head for there directly i.e. via the South of France tben across to the East. At least that serms doable in 14 nights. 

Cheers and thanks for the advice.

3 minutes ago, Omega54 said:

Thanks Andy, my oh and I feel its a bit optimistic but if I said what they wanted to do you would be shocked. My gut feeling at the mo is that if the want to go to Italy then we head for there directly i.e. via the South of France tben across to the East. At least that serms doable in 14 nights. 

Cheers and thanks for the advice.

That option is even further believe it or not (I thought of doing it a few years ago! That is until I discovered that Santander to La Spezia is 865 miles!! 

Andy

In the late 1990’s events conspired to give us just over 2 weeks summer holiday in August. So left the folding camper at home and we headed to a mobile home at the southern shore of Lake Garda. Friday night ferry from Hull to Rotterdam. Saturday through Germany to overnight hotel in Strasbourg. Sunday through Switzerland to Italy and mobile home. Lots of Italy to explore from Garda including Venice (train is the best way to arrive), Verona and the lake itself. Similar route for the return. With some planning the motorhomers could still be with you. 

John

2 hours ago, John19 said:

In the late 1990’s events conspired to give us just over 2 weeks summer holiday in August. So left the folding camper at home and we headed to a mobile home at the southern shore of Lake Garda. Friday night ferry from Hull to Rotterdam. Saturday through Germany to overnight hotel in Strasbourg. Sunday through Switzerland to Italy and mobile home. Lots of Italy to explore from Garda including Venice (train is the best way to arrive), Verona and the lake itself. Similar route for the return. With some planning the motorhomers could still be with you. 

John

Thats all very well, but you were in a car so we’re able to travel at a much higher average speed than permitted with a caravan, or MH over 3500kg. 

Andy

For what it's worth ...

Given you seem very committed to going out to Italy regardless then ......

As said, and i'll repeat, long long way for 7 days plus of constant big days of travel for 7 days max on a site.

Stuck on 14 /16 days max then I'd let the 8.5m rig meander its way down to Italy in advance and then I'd be looking at flying out from Newcastle / Teeside, car hire maybe to join up with them & an Air BNB or a campsite chalet static big tent etc even on two sites. Think it wont be that much different in costings if you research and you'll all get a  Holiday rather than a 50% chaotic roadtrip.

You could maybe even meet up & travel with them part of the trip if enough seats or part separately if a two centre trip. Switzerland or Austria is very nice touring country en route.

As said, and i'll repeat, long way for 7 days plus of constant big days of travel for 7 days max on a site.

M

On 17/09/2019 at 15:08, montesa said:

For what it's worth ...

Given you seem very committed to going out to Italy regardless then ......

As said, and i'll repeat, long long way for 7 days plus of constant big days of travel for 7 days max on a site.

Stuck on 14 /16 days max then I'd let the 8.5m rig meander its way down to Italy in advance and then I'd be looking at flying out from Newcastle / Teeside, car hire maybe to join up with them & an Air BNB or a campsite chalet static big tent etc even on two sites. Think it wont be that much different in costings if you research and you'll all get a  Holiday rather than a 50% chaotic roadtrip.

You could maybe even meet up & travel with them part of the trip if enough seats or part separately if a two centre trip. Switzerland or Austria is very nice touring country en route.

As said, and i'll repeat, long way for 7 days plus of constant big days of travel for 7 days max on a site.

M

Seems like sensible advice mate, thanks for that.

19 minutes ago, Omega54 said:

Seems like sensible advice mate, thanks for that.

We stayed here:  https://www.pianidiclodia.it/en/

Large site, they have chalets also should you need accommodation. Your kids will love it.

On 19/09/2019 at 16:46, Dave Capiro owner said:

We stayed here:  https://www.pianidiclodia.it/en/

Large site, they have chalets also should you need accommodation. Your kids will love it.

Looks fabulous mate. Will give it serious consideration. Loving the closeness to the lake and also the pools.

30 minutes ago, Omega54 said:

Looks fabulous mate. Will give it serious consideration. Loving the closeness to the lake and also the pools.

It’s bigger than we normally prefer, but great for the kids. It’s also a good base for touring, the towns around the lakes are fabulous, especially Sirmione. It’s not far from Verona, and you could do Venice in a day. It’s one overnight stop away from Calais. Good luck, hope it goes well, we’ll get back to that area some day as it’s our favourite area.

Edited by Dave Capiro owner