Sign in to follow this  
Scooby1

Caravan storage

Hi all, 

we we have just joined this web site in hope of gaining from the experience of others.

we are old new parents with a 3 year old princess and a 9 month old boy, as you would appreciate it expense going on holidays as of  next year when we can only go in the school holidays. My car is a Mercedes 2017 E class 2ltr 5 door car so it should be good for towing a 4 berth van, we are looking at getting a used van with bunk beds (this is next year not now) looking at paying around £4000 I have seen one on eBay with a ton of extras for this price, Unfortunately I can’t store the van at my home location Dartford so I’m trying to find the cost of storage around this area within 30 miles or so, if someone could let me know the average price this would cost per year have searched the internet but you need to fill in forms and give your van length.

We have looked at the price of staying on farms around the uk and I'm seeing prices of around 15 to 20 ponds per night.

any advice would be great, what’s you thoughts on the low level van that you pop up when on site.

thanks 

Beara

Welcome to the site.  Nothing stopping you going away on weekends and Bank holidays.  :D  Not sure on storage around Dartford.

As a probable rule of thumb one would expect to pay £350/£400 a year to store a touring caravan.

Unless you able to store a "pop-up" caravan at your home there would not seem to be any advantage in buying one.

I pay £500/year at the storage site I use, which is expensive. However, its convenient as its a walkable distance from my house and only a 2 minute drive. I can fetch my caravan, put it on my drive and return to storage easily, quickly and whenever I want as its 24hr access. There are cheaper storage areas I could use which are £350/month, but I like the convenience that my storage site offers.

Forget the extras, the van needs to be dry to be worth spending money.

At this price range you can expect some wear and tear, but there are some good vans out there and a lot of wet sheds.

I agree with Stevan - the van you buy must be dry, dry and dry. Beware private buyers as you have no come-back if found to be damp. With most dealers you have 3 months (second hand) warranty.

I pay £510 per year - its supply and demand and in our area demand outstrips supply so storage prices are a bit steep.

Regarding your storage question. Ours is in storage near Sittingbourne and we pay £450 per year. Our old storage site is closing so was forced to look around and wanted to be close to the Medway towns. There are several but are all pretty full and the prices ranged from £1000 to about £450.

Try Google caravan storage near me and you might be surprised what pops and where.

We pay £400 a year for CaSSoa Gold but that's West Yorkshire,much more than that in London I would imagine.

Ian

I have just renewed my storage for a further 12 months at Kingswood Caravans near Leeds Castle in Kent and it cost me £400.

Just renewed ours in West Sussex at a staggering £707.00 for the year.

59 minutes ago, thensum said:

Just renewed ours in West Sussex at a staggering £707.00 for the year.

Do they do valet parking? :D

• Haha 1

Speak to several of the dealers in the area as they usually have storage lists. Try Lee Davey, Songhurst Milestone and Canterbury caravans for lists. Canterbury usually have a broad range of caravans to suit all budgets 

Another storage option is on a site with the Caravan and Motorhome club and also the Camping and Caravanning Club. Have a look on their websites then if you have a favourite area it saves a lot of the towing to /from the site. They also do seasonal pitches but these can be a bit expensive unless you go there a lot.