Sign in to follow this  
Heathy007

Leisure battery charge

Hi,

we have a Bailey Valencia and have a Leisure battery. I’ve noticed the level has dropped, which is fine. Does the charge go up and charge the battery when I connect to the hook up or electric at home automatically ?

thank you, new caravaner !

Stuart

Yes and try not to let the battery voltage get too low.

Charge it via EHU on site, the car whilst driving or by EHU at home. Once charged it should stay charged for months unless you have a tracker or alarm fitted, in which case it will need charging once or twice a month.

Also. When storing the van, make sure to turn off the master switch and check the fridge, radio and tv aerial are off, else battery will go flat in a couple of weeks 

With the battery master switch or button off then assuming there is a solar panel on the caravan, the battery should stay charged and keep an alarm going indefinitely provided there is enough day light for the panel to work.

However I always connect the hook up for a few days when we park up at home to replenish the battery after using the motor mover at each end of a journey. That way I know the battery is starting fully charged.

4 hours ago, WispMan said:

Yes and try not to let the battery voltage get too low.

Charge it via EHU on site, the car whilst driving or by EHU at home. Once charged it should stay charged for months unless you have a tracker or alarm fitted, in which case it will need charging once or twice a month.

Thank you, we have an alarm so that’s part of it. Many thanks 😀

4 hours ago, Heathy007 said:

Does the charge go up and charge the battery when I connect to the hook up or electric at home automatically ?

No it's not completely automatic.

You need to swich up (to ON) the mains RCD on the consumer unit and also the MCB which is labelled 'charger'.  (Read the manual if the markings on the consumer unit aren't clear).  Both RCD and all MCBs should be switched off before unhooking from mains, and turned on last when hooking up.

Use the 12V master switch and meter to check that the charger is outputting around 13.6-13.8V.   Some will say that this voltage will never fully charge a leisure battery, as Bailey don't fit intelligent multi-stage chargers.  So you may want to consider occasional use of another charger to keep the battery in top condition?

36 minutes ago, Rodders53 said:

Both RCD and all MCBs should be switched off before unhooking from mains, and turned on last when hooking up.

I wonder what proportion of us actually follow this procedure!

What's the risk in not doing?

1 minute ago, rovinmad said:

1.  Not many (I know I don't) He says having just towed home with master switch on and all mains RCDs on  :blush: .

2. Biggest risk is having left stuff on and unhooked mains... you power stuff up that _ought_ not to be / you didn't intend to be powered up.  {The empty electric water heater, for example.}

Never ever followed this procedure. Naughty me.

Well I've certainly plugged in and when filling the water system, found the water heater on.  I do try to make sure everything is off though when packing up.

Edited by rovinmad
addition

6 hours ago, rovinmad said:

I would say with the consumer unit in the bathroom the risk not doing it is less than the risk doing it. How they get away with a consumer unit in bathroom I don't know?

The problem is it varies caravan to caravan, with mine, if plugged into mains with RCD and MCB on then battery is charging, it does not matter if master switch off or on, other caravan master switch must be on.

One would think the battery isolator did just that, and isolated the battery, but no, all it does is isolate the motor mover. And having the radio receiver active on the motor mover will discharge the battery.

Charging the battery with a Lidi 3.8 amp battery charger and you can safely leave it on charge for months, problem is any power cut and it does not auto restart, but with built in battery charger if can charge at around 30 amp, so if a cell fails on the battery you could get the hydrogen gas it produces ignite. In the drive OK you can smell it, in storage your not there.

So you have a tracker etc, then you have to remove battery and take it home for charging, so much for the tracker.

When I monitored charging a battery I was surprised how long it takes to fully charge, up to 98% quite quick, but that last little bit can take a week, so removing a battery to charge it and it is off the caravan for a week, I have an old car battery so batteries are swapped rather than simply removing it, but until I had an energy monitor I did not realise how long it took to fully charge.

Radio is a problem, there is no twin supply, so if you remove power, radio on getting power back auto switches on in demo mode, so it has to be powered all the time to stop it auto switching on. However forget when swapping battery to turn radio off again, and radio is discharging the battery.