Sign in to follow this  
jjohnd

13 pin plug.

Am I correct in thinking that the reason that you turn the connector 90 degrees is for locking purposes? If you just push the connections together, you are connected electrically? The quarter turn purely to stop the connection disconnecting.

Yes.

Sorry Ern but the answer is "No", the quarter turn also pulls the pins the last few mm into the socket.

• Like 1

Make sure the pin engage before you turn the 90 degrees as the plug can go out of alignment but green tools are available to correct them .

Dave

1 hour ago, CommanderDave said:

Make sure the pin engage before you turn the 90 degrees as the plug can go out of alignment but green tools are available to correct them .

Dave

Nothing is ever that simple, the "green tools" are sometimes blue!

10 hours ago, Stevan said:

Sorry Ern but the answer is "No", the quarter turn also pulls the pins the last few mm into the socket.

As you twist the 13 pin plug in the socket you will hear the ATC test only after beginning to turn the plug.  The locking by twisting is vital but certainly the electrical connection is not made before the plug is turned.

My ATC engages before the plug is turned - as soon as I push the plug into the socket. Assumed this was normal (first caravan with 13 pin electrics).

13 minutes ago, CliveB said:

My ATC engages before the plug is turned - as soon as I push the plug into the socket. Assumed this was normal (first caravan with 13 pin electrics).

Perhaps it is normal.  I must say mine needs hardly any turning to connect but certainly some!  It doesn't make immediate contact as I push it straight in - the turn makes the connection. 

• +1 3

On 15/09/2019 at 10:42, Squash said:

Perhaps it is normal.  I must say mine needs hardly any turning to connect but certainly some!  It doesn't make immediate contact as I push it straight in - the turn makes the connection. 

I was wrong - it's just as Squash says.

Had to take the caravan to the dealer yesterday and it did require a slight turn to engage the ATC.

You'll probably find that some if not all 13 pins will connect by just pushing the plug in BUT to complete the mechanical connection, and ensure a good electrical connection on all pins, a 90deg clockwise turn is required. Similarly a 90deg anticlockwise turn is necessary to allow disconnection of the plug.

Gordon.

• Like 1

I'm sure that the pins connect as soon as the plug is pushed in - the rotation is merely to lock it securely in position.

• Confused 1

Some varied replies there, so I am none the wiser to my original question! Thanks very much to all that replied.

I think all we can glean from the information here is that it probably depends on make of the plug and socket and that some pins probably connect as you push the plug in, but turning it drives them all fully home.

The main point I can see is the you must turn the plug, not just push it in.

I can't see why you wouldn't as you can't engage the flap of the socket over the plug unless you do.

• Thanks 1
  • +1 3

Sign in to follow this