Volvo XC90 (2019) D5 Powerpulse 235/Commodore Combo

yorkyguy

Simple question,

Has anyone got this combination of tow car and 'van and if so what are the pros and cons? Is the Volvo up to the job?

Cheers

Edited by yorkyguy

I would suggest you do a bit of research into the “real world” fuel consumption figures for the XC90. They are known to be thirsty beasts! 

Andy

Son has just bought a V90 (4wd Ocean Sailing model)   far more economical and a really lovely bit of kit.

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

Hi  Mr Plodd,

I have the Volvo XC90 235 Powerpulse and previously three XC60 D5s -  and get 29mpg towing and 36+ solo. What I was needing advice on is the ability of the XC90 to tow effectively. I'm not concerned about fuel consumption really, On paper it all stacks up with about  88% of KW match but what I was hoping to find out has anyone got this outfit and  simply is the 90 'up to the job'?

Cheers all.

Edited by yorkyguy
typo

We have a Buccaneer Clipper, with weight upgrade (2000kg) towed by an XC90 D5 Powerpulse in Inscription spec.

The car does a great job towing the van, never had any worries with stability or towing capability. 

We get about 23mpg with the van on the hook and 34 solo but we mainly do very short journeys.

Hope this is of help, I am sure if you go ahead you will not be disappointed. 

8 hours ago, yorkyguy said:

Hi  Mr Plodd,

I have the Volvo XC90 235 Powerpulse and previously three XC60 D5s -  and get 29mpg towing and 36+ solo. What I was needing advice on is the ability of the XC90 to tow effectively. I'm not concerned about fuel consumption really, On paper it all stacks up with about  88% of KW match but what I was hoping to find out has anyone got this outfit and  simply is the 90 'up to the job'?

Cheers all.

Fair enough, however I had idea of your vehicle history. I had a friend of a pal who had an XC90 a few years ago and he was forever moaning about the lousy MPG he was getting. Hence my post.

29 when towing isn’t to be sniffed at! I get about 27! Mazda 6 diesel estate and 1450 kg caravan. 

Son as just bought a V90, I have severe  “Car envy”

But no similar envy over the VED he has to pay on it, but he can certainly afford it! 

Andy

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

Not been on here for ages, hopefully I’ll be taking delivery of a XC90 B5 (235bhp ) inscription on Friday . I tow a  unicorn 4 Cadiz. Hopefully it should tow the van very easily.

Hi Vanning Man,

Our 90 is a Momentum with a few additions but basically the same vehicle. The Inscription is, without doubt, very desirable, and having 8 Volvos over the years (not all for towing) we have been very happy with reliability being a Land Rover enthusiast in the past. So this sounds good. The twin turbo tows our current Swift Challenger 580 Dealer Special with consummate ease at about 70% of vehicle KW. It is truly effortless!! We really do aspire to a Buccaneer but were a little apprehensive re the weights - especially the nose weight. So, it sounds like a match!!

Excellent

Cheers,

Bri

Edited by yorkyguy
typo

Have a 2000kg 2018 Buccaneer Cruiser towed by a 2018 XC90 D5 R-Design. Had a V6 Touareg previously and was concerned the Volvo may have been underpowered. I can honestly say I cannot tell the difference and the extra wheelbase of the Volvo makes towing vv comfortable. It does have air suspension though which may make a difference. I had a 2009 Mk1 XC90 but the new model is a very different machine. It is well up to doing what you are intending.

we have just ordered a new Volvo XC90 2.0 T8 [390] Hybrid Inscription Pro 5dr AWD Gtron. all the figure stack up but im yet to find the nose max .

Not sure yet if we are going to use it as the towing car yet and we have some other car that wwe use already.

i too thought it may be under powered but the top spec 1 demo was a treat to throw about.

15 hours ago, smino0_1 said:

we have just ordered a new Volvo XC90 2.0 T8 [390] Hybrid Inscription Pro 5dr AWD Gtron. all the figure stack up but im yet to find the nose max .

Not sure yet if we are going to use it as the towing car yet and we have some other car that wwe use already.

i too thought it may be under powered but the top spec 1 demo was a treat to throw about.

I would think that the XC90 is more than capable of towing a Buccaneer however nose weight would be a concern on the hybrid model.  Go onto the towbar fitting sites like Tow Trust who indicate that on the "normal" Volvo the towbar is rated at 140kg.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

This is the nitty gritty!

The XC90 manual (page 600 and something!!) states that the max nose weight for a 5 seater is 140k and the 7 seat variant lists 110k. This is for ALL new XC90s regardless of engine spec. Don't really understand this as I thought ALL new 90s were 7 seaters! I guess that Volvo assume with less passengers in the back, the vehicle can carry a bigger nose weight. (?)

I went to my local dealer with Milenco nose weight gauge in hand and measured the nose weight of a new ex-works Commodore. It measurers 90k. This is a predelivery vehicle as it left the factory. So no more guessing!!

Hope this if of use to you guys out there.

Cheers all! 

1 hour ago, yorkyguy said:

Hi all,

This is the nitty gritty!

The XC90 manual (page 600 and something!!) states that the max nose weight for a 5 seater is 140k and the 7 seat variant lists 110k. This is for ALL new XC90s regardless of engine spec. Don't really understand this as I thought ALL new 90s were 7 seaters! I guess that Volvo assume with less passengers in the back, the vehicle can carry a bigger nose weight. (?)

I went to my local dealer with Milenco nose weight gauge in hand and measured the nose weight of a new ex-works Commodore. It measurers 90k. This is a predelivery vehicle as it left the factory. So no more guessing!!

Hope this if of use to you guys out there.

Cheers all! 

I don't know where you got this information from.  I have just looked up the towing weights in the online manual and for my  Volvo XC90 D5 Powerpulse the figures are:

D5 AWD Automatic  - max braked trailer weight 2700 kg,  max towball load 140kg.

The towball load is the same across the XC90 range but the max braked trailer weight varies depending upon which engine variant is fitted.

The official Volvo stated max towball weight of XC90’s changed for MY 2018.5 vehicles from 140 to 110kg (for 7 seat versions which all are in UK). The dealer assures me that nothing changed in the car but that they suddenly realised you could have 2 x 6’ rugby players in the rearmost seats + kit for 7 in the boot which, with 140kg on the towbar could put excess weight on the rear end. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just towed our Commodore for the first trip with our new 2019 Volkswagen Touareg R Line Tec and could not be happier, our previous Touareg a 2017 R Line Plus was a great tow car but the new Touareg is better the suspension is really smooth and the torque is great. Well impressed so far.

Gordon