Sign in to follow this  
wolfgang1983

TV Wall Mount

Hi in the image below where the mirror is I would like to put a TV wall mount for a veon 32" the weight of tv is 4kg 

If I take down the mirror and put a bracket up will the wall it be OK there is no studs to mount the screws to.

Behind it is the slide door for bedroom

Thank you

IMG_20190914_172335.jpg

I wouldn't. 

Most caravan wall panels are only 4mm plywood and there is nothing to screw into or spread the load. At best the screw will pull out and possibbly take a lump of wall out as well

However others may have different view. 

Edited by matelodave
  • +1 2

You'd probably need a backing plate behind the wall, with bolts going through the TV bracket,  the wall, and backing plate, with nuts on the other end. However there probably isn't enough space to accommodate doing that due to the sliding door.

Edited by LeadFarmer

40 minutes ago, LeadFarmer said:

You'd probably need a backing plate behind the wall, with bolts going through the TV bracket,  the wall, and backing plate, with nuts on the other end. However there probably isn't enough space to accommodate doing that due to the sliding door.

Hi,

Where the mirror is now if I put a piece of extra piece of timber in front of the ply as I can't do behind would that work?

My dad said it would hold with out it my TV only 4 kg

Edited by wolfgang1983

1 hour ago, wolfgang1983 said:

Hi,

Where the mirror is now if I put a piece of extra piece of timber in front of the ply as I can't do behind would that work?

My dad said it would hold with out it my TV only 4 kg

But how do you intend to attach the timber to the front? Screwing it to the wall might not be any better than just screwing the TV bracket to the wall. I assume you have no access at all to get behind the wall?

I would take the sliding door out and see if there is enough room to fit a slim strip of aluminium on the back, I used some very thin door dividers that B@Q sell. They were much wider than the TV bracket, spreading the load. Obviously the TV cones off when in motion.

I cut it into strips and then drilled holes through my cupboard so the wood is sandwiched between the strip and the TV bracket. 

Mine was on the bottom of a cupboard.

The only difference is that you would need countersunk nuts so you assemble from inside the sliding door frame putting the bolt in from the front side 

I don't know what the nuts are called but skateboards have them so they sit countersunk on the top of the skateboard and the trucks are the bolted in from underneath.

All is dependent on how much too. You have in the sliding door.

Using the shelf above with an extendable arm night be better as you can go through it.

1 hour ago, LeadFarmer said:

But how do you intend to attach the timber to the front? Screwing it to the wall might not be any better than just screwing the TV bracket to the wall. I assume you have no access at all to get behind the wall?

Another idea is in the wall next to it if you can see the image what would your though on that be?

19 minutes ago, wolfgang1983 said:

Another idea is in the wall next to it if you can see the image what would your though on that be?

I think we need to see pictures of more of the van to be able to comment

16 minutes ago, LeadFarmer said:

I think we need to see pictures of more of the van to be able to comment

OK will take some more pic's in the daylight night time here at the moment I have a baileys senator louisiana s5 06

As said the walls and bulkheads are usually only thing ply and hollow inside and manufacturers mount wood inside walls ready when they mount tv brackets . 4 kg does not sound a lot but when it is hanging off a wall it acts as a lever on the mount . I have a 32 inch that goes about 4.5 kg on a manufacturer mounted mount and it wobbles quite a bit when pulled out and adjusted .

Dave

10 hours ago, CommanderDave said:

As said the walls and bulkheads are usually only thing ply and hollow inside and manufacturers mount wood inside walls ready when they mount tv brackets . 4 kg does not sound a lot but when it is hanging off a wall it acts as a lever on the mount . I have a 32 inch that goes about 4.5 kg on a manufacturer mounted mount and it wobbles quite a bit when pulled out and adjusted .

Dave

In the first image you can see my TV in corner I can't get behind the panel where mirror is your thoughts on where to mount this  TV Bracket

I am living in the caravan and will only be moved one time on October 1st to my new full time site also added a picture of that got to repair the ground a bit.

IMG_20190914_181632.jpg

IMG_20190909_105335.jpg

Unless you can spread the load by fitting a decent reinforcing pad behind the panel I would not do it. TBH I'd be dubious about even fitting a pad behind the panel.

The bracket that you are contemplating has a very small fixing footprint and would therefore concentrate the whole weight of the TV in a small area.

I wouldn't even contemplate using a bracket like that unless it was fixed with very substantial screws/bolts into something like a brick or concrete wall. I certainly wouldn't use it in a caravan or thin walls (like, ply, plasterboard or sheetrock)

In the end it's your decision but he general advice from those who have responded is don't do it, so are you hoping that someone will say it's ok

The shelves in most caravan are a sandwich construction of two thin sheets of 3 or 4mm ply and either a foam or egg-box like interior. Unless they are fitted to a structural member behind the caravan wall panel then it's unlikely that they'll support 4kg of TV hanging off them.

Has the OP actually weighed his TV - it looks like more than 4kg to me

There is very little benefit in hanging a TV on the wall in the same place apart from gaining  a bit more shelf space but, if that is the motive for such a modification it is a lot of work to possible damage a nice caravan. There is no compressive strength in that partition wall so  bolting through will just crush the wall. A slim back plate will not be stiff enough to spread the load properly  because it will be clamped only where the bolts are located. I definitely wouldn't bother.

Hi All,

I got it all sorted out bigger piece of timber sheet and bigger wood type screws all nice and solid now no damage to wall etc.

We put the piece of timber at back of TV and solid wood screws so spread the load.

IMG_20190916_160148.jpg

IMG_20190916_160131.jpg

IMG_20190916_160141.jpg

2 hours ago, wolfgang1983 said:

Hi All,

I got it all sorted out bigger piece of timber sheet and bigger wood type screws all nice and solid now no damage to wall etc.

We put the piece of timber at back of TV and solid wood screws so spread the load.

It looks good from this side (like a brick Karzy:)) but what is holding the board to the wall?

18 minutes ago, Ern said:

It looks good from this side (like a brick Karzy:)) but what is holding the board to the wall?

Very solid heavy duty screws we spread the screws out to carry the load works fine now got idea from here 

But aren’t those screws just going into the 4mm ply wall?

The screws holding the tv mount to the timber should be fine, but the screws going through the timber into the caravan wall might not be  without something behind. 

Hopefully all will will be well.