Jump to content
Durbanite

Using a C&CC campsite

Recommended Posts

Although we have been members since April we have never used any of their sites.  I gather they still direct you to a pitch of their choice even if the site is nearly empty.  What if you don't like the pitch and want another pitch?  Can you ask to go onto another pitch without having to have a major discussion with the warden? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

this is one of the things that has put us off joining them , so I will be interested  to see the replies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I visited the C&CC site at Corfe Castle, the management told me to go find a pitch then come back and tell them the number.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

Although we have been members since April we have never used any of their sites.  I gather they still direct you to a pitch of their choice even if the site is nearly empty.  What if you don't like the pitch and want another pitch?  Can you ask to go onto another pitch without having to have a major discussion with the warden? 

 

Well, we can and all very amicable, but that I suppose the amicable element largely depends on one's approach to these things.

I feel "directed" implies more than it is, they have to offer you their suggestion and guide you there.

I have never sensed in 46 years being "directed", where one can't discuss the merits or otherwise of  their thoughts on what best suits you rig and group makeup.

Then as others, I have been asked if I am happy to go sort ourselves and let them know. I expect that again depends on the aura one gives out and pressures they might have at that moment.

The club's policy seems to be to be helpful in guiding you to what they see as a suitable pitch for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are thinking of using the C&CC at Chipping Norton which is a bit out of the way.  If I remember correctly the site slopes down towards the bottom road and would like to avoid road noise from bikes and boy racers.

 

Just read a review by David Klyne and think we will give it a miss as traveller's site just up the road you have to cart water from near the reception point and apparently you have the same issue when disposing waste water.  A bit of a trek if you are on the far side of the site.

 

Looks like either CMC site in Moreton in Marsh or Nuholme CS which is just outside Chipping Norton.  :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, JTQ said:

 

Well, we can and all very amicable, but that I suppose the amicable element largely depends on one's approach to these things.

I feel "directed" implies more than it is, they have to offer you their suggestion and guide you there.

I have never sensed in 46 years being "directed", where one can't discuss the merits or otherwise of  their thoughts on what best suits you rig and group makeup.

Then as others, I have been asked if I am happy to go sort ourselves and let them know. I expect that again depends on the aura one gives out and pressures they might have at that moment.

The club's policy seems to be to be helpful in guiding you to what they see as a suitable pitch for you.

Unfortunately that was not the case when we joined the C&C in 2005 and only stayed members for a year.  If you requested another pitch sometimes they would get quite shirty about it which is why we never bothered asking. 

We tried again in 2012 but same issue again and again gave up our membership.  Joined recently hoping that they would have moved into the 21st century.  Having said that on a site near Bracknell you could not have come across a nicer more obliging warden.  He must have been a rarity in the C&CC.  :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Taking you to your pitch  and making sure you pitch correctly is still the case on every C&CC site the site manager (they don't like being called a warden) will get on his bike and ask you to follow him then he will give you a little speel of where the facilities are located. trying to get another pitch is still frowned upon. I have been on 3 sites this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it's very polite to be shown to a pitch and much like being shown to a table in a restaurant.  I like it. 

 

CMC should try it instead of continuing with their undignified arrival time scramble to see who can run fastest to race others who are in the check in queue.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did join both CMC and C&CC, but after 1 year ditched them both, I do go to a C&CC Listed site in North Nottinghamshire on a regular basis, I can text the Warden(site manager) and ask for a specific pitch, ( it has a water tap close by, I'am also 'allowed' to remove the water filler pipe and replace with a multi connection and connect my Whale mains kit then I re-attach their filler pipe  for other campers to fill their aqua rolls.

tap.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, moorgate said:

I think it's very polite to be shown to a pitch and much like being shown to a table in a restaurant.  I like it. 

 

CMC should try it instead of continuing with their undignified arrival time scramble to see who can run fastest to race others who are in the check in queue.  

 

I wouldn't mind that either. Some CMC wardens mark off available pitches and invite us to look at a preference, but some tell us to drive around the site until we find a space, but I'm not too keen on that approach as it means doing the circuit a couple of times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Durbanite said:

Unfortunately that was not the case when we joined the C&C in 2005 and only stayed members for a year.  If you requested another pitch sometimes they would get quite shirty about it which is why we never bothered asking. 

We tried again in 2012 but same issue again and again gave up our membership.  Joined recently hoping that they would have moved into the 21st century.  Having said that on a site near Bracknell you could not have come across a nicer more obliging warden.  He must have been a rarity in the C&CC.  :D

I have just spent the week at Devizes and the wardens there were very friendly indeed

  • +1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Dave Capiro owner said:

 

I wouldn't mind that either. Some CMC wardens mark off available pitches and invite us to look at a preference, but some tell us to drive around the site until we find a space, but I'm not too keen on that approach as it means doing the circuit a couple of times.

And when me and my brother arrived at Hillhead in Brixham we were told to WALK around and find two pitches,, its 2.5 miles in total to walk around. Never again.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve never been directed onto a CCC pitch, we’ve always had a quick chat about our preferences and been shown what the site person thinks might suit us best. If we haven’t been happy for any reason, they’ve always been happy to show us options. 

 

Even at their very busy Keswick site in the height of summer, they had options and we didnt feel pressured. 

 

The only issue ive ever had was being turned away from Poolewe because 4 of us dared arrive on motorbikes. That site officer got a flea in his ear from his managers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't understand that Iain, we've never had any trouble with our trike and regularly see motorbikes on site.

 

Went to Leek C&CC site last month with the caravan. I was given the choice of 4 pitches from the site office. As it was raining persistently I told the folks to stay in the dry and I would let them know which pitch we were using. They couldn't do enough for us for the rest of the weekend.

 

Only had a problem on one C&CC site when an Assistant Warden wanted us to move from the pitch we were given 2 days earlier. His brother wanted it.

Reported the guy and he was on his way very soon after.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jaydug said:

When I visited the C&CC site at Corfe Castle, the management told me to go find a pitch then come back and tell them the number.

 

Same for me on the site I have used before.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have never been directed to a pitch... it has always been select a pitch and let us know.  

 

DerwentWater did advise that on one nicely located pitch they used the triangular wedge of grass next to the pitch to accommodate walkers with small tents turning up on the day.

 

These days I rather prefer C&CC to cc although I will retain membership of both.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually, now I recall, I have been asked not to use a certain group of pitches, owing to soft ground.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When we stayed on the Windemere C&CCsite a couple of years ago we wanted to pitch caravan near Two daughters tents. As we arrived first, we were directed to a pitch location on the mixed field and TOLD in no uncertain terms how to position our van adjacent to electric bollard. This was roughly in middle of field

Having then gone out for the afternoon we returned to find the field full of tents that were pitched in such a way, with guy ropes crossing all over the place, that we couldn't get car back to side of van. On complaining to wardens I got a short reply saying "units were pitched regulation distance" and "you'll go where we tell you". However, this did not take into account the tangle of guy ropes, or that all the tents seemed to have set up tables and chairs in every available gap. No protestations would move them from 'rules is rules' mentality.

The wardens kept coming, squeezing tents into all available spaces and would do nothing for me.

 

I forced some people to move their extended furniture 'rooms' to allow me access, and told them I would do same to get out if needs be.

 

Call it "The friendly club". Not in my experience.

 

CL's for us all the way now. Cant be doing with officious site warden types.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Never been “forced” onto a pitch we didn’t want to go on.

Many Holiday Site Assistants have said “have you been before is there anywhere in particular you would like to go”.

Always if we have been taken to a pitch and asked if we could have a different one, never been refused.

  • Like 1
  • +1 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After booking in at Brighton CMC we were informed that pitches with a certain color peg were not available for use. When we drove round the site we realised that all the nice hard standing pitches were not available. When I asked the warden why they were not available I was informed that "you have been told where to pitch". Soon afterwards we found out these pitches had been reserved for motor caravans. Apparently the wardens  have it in the power to do this at their discretion. We have never stayed on a CMC or CCC site since, but we still are members of both clubs and use CL's/CS's frequently. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As with many others never had a problem with being escorted to my pitch infact it reduces my stress level rather than being presented with a multitude of pitches and forced to make a decision 🤣🤣.  Joking aside  the C&CC makes use of more grass pitches so the warden may slightly adjust the siteing of a unit to alleviate the wear on the pitch. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ern said:

After booking in at Brighton CMC we were informed that pitches with a certain color peg were not available for use. When we drove round the site we realised that all the nice hard standing pitches were not available. When I asked the warden why they were not available I was informed that "you have been told where to pitch". Soon afterwards we found out these pitches had been reserved for motor caravans. Apparently the wardens  have it in the power to do this at their discretion. We have never stayed on a CMC or CCC site since, but we still are members of both clubs and use CL's/CS's frequently. 

 

We experienced a similar thing on the Gower about 10 years ago.

Heavy rain overnight and we were on grass and could only leave the van with wellies on.

As people left hardstandings, Warden was going round putting bollards on them. When I asked if we could move out of the paddling pool to a hardstanding, the answer was no, they were being kept for motorhomes.

When we left, I did a pretty good job of messing up the grass as much as possible!,

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, hp100425ev said:

 

When we left, I did a pretty good job of messing up the grass as much as possible!,

Oh well done. I bet that showed him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So far I have I have had only good dealings with C&CC  managers, a polite approach is what is expected (as I would expect), even had the site managers ask me what view I would like (Glencoe) and invited me to pitch nose in if I preferred, play the game chums, the site managers are deserving people just like us, not servants ;).

 

If you find a 'baddy' report them, but only if they have been 'out of line'.

 

Our lives are too short, same goes for the site managers :)

 

 

  • Like 1
  • +1 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We used the Clent Hills C&CC site for 1 night on the way to France in late April; and for 2 nights on the return up to Scotland in late July. No problems [other than a dog walker and cat walker exercising their animals across the back of the pitch, but the Wardens arrived about 5 minutes later, unbidden, and cleaned up. Site facilities are spotless, it is in a lovely location and it's a very pleasant place to stay. A wee bit pricey, at around £25 per night net of Age Concession discount, but still decent value for money. Site Wardens are very friendly and helpful, and did allow us to change our pitch.

Fellow campers. caravaners are very friendly, and there is a lot of Black Country geniality and support [did I mention I was born 5 miles away? :D] and tolerance. The only slight difficulty is the narrow and twisty approach roads, and the need to take the car when shopping for supplies. We met 3 large HGVs from a local highways scheme on the final approach to the site; eyes shut and buttocks clenched time, not an experience I would care to repeat, but no damage done.

It's a bit of a hike to the fresh water tap and grey water disposal point, about 100 metres each way on sloping and soft 'ish ground, but it all contributes to the 10,000 steps regime.

Hoping to stay there again on the way to the Winter Sun break, but the site closes on 4th November so we may be traveling too late.

Steve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...