Sign in to follow this  
Cavalier

Bed and upholstery in a 2017 Cartagena

I have a 2013 Cartagena and am thinking of changing it for a 2017 Catagena. Does anyone have any opion on how the quality of the mattress and bench seating compare. On the 2013 Cartagena the mattress and seating are Spring interior. Having tried the seating in the later model it feels as if it is only a thick foam. Does anyone know if this is the case?

regards

Ian

1 hour ago, Cavalier said:

I have a 2013 Cartagena and am thinking of changing it for a 2017 Catagena. Does anyone have any opion on how the quality of the mattress and bench seating compare. On the 2013 Cartagena the mattress and seating are Spring interior. Having tried the seating in the later model it feels as if it is only a thick foam. Does anyone know if this is the case?

regards

Ian

Hi Ian,

I recently changed from a 2016 Madrid to a 2017 Barcelona (our first fixed bed).  I can confirm that the mattress is indeed foam and from what I have read Bailey changed (aka downgraded) the mattress in the later U3 models.  Earlier models including the U2 had a pocket sprung mattress.

After our first one week trip away in the Barcelona I started suffering with a bad back.  That’s not entirely unusual for me and I know someone with a U3 Valencia who is perfectly happy with the foam mattress and finds it very comfortable.

I contacted Bellfield and they could supply a pocket sprung version of the U3 mattress so decided to order one.  It’s a little heavier (5kg) but I find it far more supportive and comfortable.  We used the van for 26 nights in August and my back was fine :-).

Hope that helps.

Mark.

Thanks for the reply Mark, if I decide to change to a later Cartagena I may suggest we swop the mattress.  Are your bench seats foam or are they sprung interior? 

Regards 

Ian

On 13/09/2019 at 09:18, Cavalier said:

Thanks for the reply Mark, if I decide to change to a later Cartagena I may suggest we swop the mattress.  Are your bench seats foam or are they sprung interior? 

Regards 

Ian

They are also foam...  however that wasn’t something we really noticed as we had a 2016 Madrid which also had foam bench seats.  You can definitely see the foam is compressed after someone has been sitting on it for a reasonable period of time.  However it does recover.  I suspect Belfield would also be able to supply pocket sprung versions, might be worth giving them a call.

FYI the replacement mattress was £334.  It is 30mm deeper than the foam one at 180mm.  There are other companies that make them but I decided to stick with Belfield as Bailey’s supplier.

Mark

Edited by Markt1891

We have a U3 Cartagena and we changed the foam mattress to a sprung one. It was obtained from Belfields. We changed because me and the wife were suffering with back pain after a nights sleep on the foam matteress

The dealer has given me the option to change the mattress from my 2013 Cartagena to the 2017 model he is supplying, I'm assuming they will be the same size. If they are I will swop them over.

23 hours ago, Cavalier said:

The dealer has given me the option to change the mattress from my 2013 Cartagena to the 2017 model he is supplying, I'm assuming they will be the same size. If they are I will swop them over.

Remember that when trading it in or selling it, it may be obvious that the mattress is an older version and this may have an affect on the price offered.  If the caravan is sold or traded in as a 2017 with a 2013 mattress this may have other implications?  Consider buying a decent mattress.  We bought from customsizebeds and are happy.

• Like 1