Sign in to follow this  
Griff

HDMI lead question

Hi.

I have just completed an HDMI installation in my caravan from the back of my Sky box to a home spun wall outlet i.e. a lead that is male to the Sky box to female at other end to create a socket to plug into on the wall by the TV, so far so good.

I have tried a couple of new cheapo leads (0.5m and 1m)  as per the one in the picture, result no signal.

Thought it was the male to female lead which was duff but playing around I have tried the fancy looking lead with the cylindrical noggins on and I get a perfect picture.

Don't know what the noggins are for but is this the reason why that lead works (5m coiled at present for tryout) and the cheapos don't?

20190912_164913-1149x726.thumb.png.6dc0272ffa5de4f1173b659380cedb0d.png

20190912_164312-1022x650.thumb.png.9032b2787e9f71ad02161bd269afc0fc.png

20190912_171432-768x524-576x393.png.09e638ad6671a88a4270fa45ecdf04bf.png

The cylindrical "noggins" as you so quaintly put it are ferrite beads which are on the cables to help reduce interference and crosstalk in the cable caused by voltages induced into the screening.

They are probably just better quality cables than the cheap & cheerful ones that don't work.

• +1 2

If it is the bottom photo that doesn't work will be because its thin wire and poor screening.

Cheapo leads are not necessarily the problem.  I believe that some are wired  differently.  I found this with my sound bar at home,  Without the correct lead the TV will not control the sound bar.

Seems there are 4 types.

https://www.techhive.com/article/2029825/the-secret-to-buying-a-good-hdmi-cable-theyre-all-good.html

John

Edited by JCloughie

Thats the speed specification connection of pins will be the same.

40 minutes ago, David 38 said:

If it is the bottom photo that doesn't work will be because its thin wire and poor screening.

Thanks chaps, yes it's the bottom type , I have 2 of different lengths costing £2 a piece off eBay.

The one with the noggins on, sorry ferrite beads matelo', was from Screwfix £12 but is 5m long coiled at the back of the TV, they do a 1m version so will get one for neatness.

42 minutes ago, David 38 said:

Thats the speed specification connection of pins will be the same.

Its not just the speed.  The latest version 2.1 does 7 extra things than its predecessor.  I mentioned before I needed a cable that was capable of controlling my soundbar.  That needs to have  'Audio Return Channel (ARC),'  capability, only version 2.1 has this.

The simple answer I think, is if buying a new cable, make sure it meets the  2.1 standard.

The charts on this link show the history and capabilities.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI

John