Can I buy a towing caravan shell brand new?

Isa

Hi everyone, this may be an unusual question but I would like to buy a brand new touring caravan that hasn't been fitted out as I would like to do this myself.   I know there are caravan refitters but the work I have seen is always on used caravans.  Do any manufacturers sell just the caravan shell itself.  Any info greatly appreciated!

Never heard of it - but you'd need to approach the manufacturers directly.

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

Very unlikely in my opinion but the best of luck in your search.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Highly unlikely from mainstream manufacturers, the furniture is attached to the sides before the caravan is assembled.

That furniture forms part of the structural strength and rigidity, without it the walls and roof would wobble on the floor.

• Like 1

I remember seeing on a dealers forecourt several Baileys that had been used for TCOTY testing. The only fittings inside were  a few strategically placed buttresses to hold the sides up. Don’t know if they still do that. I was very tempted until Mrs TD pointed out that my DIY skills are non existent despite my protestations we could probably fit it out with IKEA cabinetry. 

Edited by Tuningdrew
Typo
  • I agree completely 1

3 hours ago, Isa said:

Do any manufacturers sell just the caravan shell itself. 

You're about 40 years too late.   During the '80s there was a company called Vanmaster that came to the market for a few years selling their caravans direct from the factory gates - and to order.   You could order any stage from the bare shell (which was built in one-piece glass fibre). even without windows and doors fitted, right through to the finished van, ready to use.    Furniture and equipment could also be bought as required.  

Edited by Jaydug

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

In earlier times, circa 1950s, it was not unusual to find self build caravans using rear cart sprung vehicle axle and sometimes chassis parts.

Our neighbour in 1950, whose day job was accountant, built a caravan in the front drive. When complete it was towed to and semi permanently pitched on one of the many caravan sites overlooking a river close to Blackpool. The family spent many weekends and summer holidays there.

A short search of the interwebby produces a DIY guide.

13 hours ago, Tuningdrew said:

I was very tempted until Mrs TD pointed out that my DIY skills are non existent despite my protestations we could probably fit it out with IKEA cabinetry. 

If you did that you would VERY quickly be over the chassis MTPLM, IKEA stuff is mostly (heavy) MDF

Just look at how thin and flimsy the internal “woodwork” of a caravan is, and just how much of it has been cut out in the centre of panels to reduce weight, but despite that they are STILL woefully short on payload! 

Andy

• Haha 1

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

If you are so keen on doing it with a brand new one , buy a complete one , rip all the interior out and start again! You may even be able to use a lot of the hardware if you like it.

One issue not mentioned so far is the structure needed to secure fitments to. Current construction methods only put re-enforcement blocks where they are needed, trying to create a different layout without having anything  to screw it onto is asking for trouble.

Likewise windows and rooflights together with their frames are fitted in positions to suit the layout, the frames being bonded into the sides before assembly.