BOAC

The birth of the light caravan is looming

13 hours ago, ancell said:

Ford Fiesta was the most popular car sold last year and this year to date closely followed by the Vauxhall Corsa.

That's not family cars but cars for young people or as the second car.

The second most popular car is the VW golf and this is a quote from the towcar awards.

"First and foremost, it tows brilliantly. Having put the Golf through a lane-change, an acceleration test and an emergency stop, our What Car? road tester rated the VW’s towing ability as second to none in this weight division, a view reinforced by data from the Al-Ko ATC sensors on the caravan."

8 hours ago, Stevan said:

It is very difficult to make direct comparisons because the likes of my Vauxhall Antara, the Kia Sorento, Skoda Kodiaq etc simply did not have equivalents back then. These are now fairly normal family cars!

The trend away from conventional hatchbacks towards heavier SUVs shouldn't hide the fact that 85% of those lighter hatchbacks weights still allowed a reasonable choice of family caravans

30 minutes ago, AndersG said:

"First and foremost, it tows brilliantly. Having put the Golf through a lane-change, an acceleration test and an emergency stop, our What Car? road tester rated the VW’s towing ability as second to none in this weight division, a view reinforced by data from the Al-Ko ATC sensors on the caravan."

A 2.0TDi would be up to towing my van, possibly something a bit heavier but not a 1500kg 7.5m affair.

I can see more family layouts coming in the 6.5m vans in coming years, let’s be honest the Sprite Musketeer and various Bailey Orion layouts would still stand the test of time. Shame the new Bailey Discovery model doesn’t have a family-orientated layouts...yet.

Edited by FrankBullet

16 hours ago, ancell said:

Ford Fiesta was the most popular car sold last year and this year to date closely followed by the Vauxhall Corsa.

I find it difficult to believe that a caravan of 1500K could be within the 80% rule for even 30% of UK vehicles.

We are a niche part of the UK leisure market and it  has been my experience in the last decade that choice of vehicles capable of towing our 1560K and now 1680K caravans is getting increasingly restricted.

It appears to me we are approaching a move towards  lighter pod type “caravans”.

Having said all that I am baffled by the boom in new motorhome sales.

Just back from Dunnet Bay where there were never more than 6 caravans and at one night down to 3 caravans - site full every night of motorhomes including a massive extending side pod Winnebago towing a VW car!

On a CMC site at the moment in the Cotswolds and the motorhomes are far more numbered than caravans .

I think in the future we will see more of these light telescopic type caravans that close up the road then expand once on site and more carbon fibres in the chassis and body .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

5 minutes ago, CommanderDave said:

I think in the future we will see more of these light telescopic type caravans that close up the road then expand once on site and more carbon fibres in the chassis and body .

Dave

However you will still have a weight issue that will required a "heavy" chassis to transport the load.  IMHO the future is chalets and AirBnB as both will probably have wired wifi and no one on this planet seems to be able to live for a day without wifi and social media contact.  :D

• Like 1

I've very recently moved to a small van, a Lunar Ariva, which is fine for me and my Westie. After over 30 years of towing with 4x4s, I now enjoy the economy of towing with a micro camper. One vehicle for spur of the moment and one for longer. My 4x4s seemed, at one time, to be for other people's benefit ie, towing motorhomes out. Why is it that most motorhomes don't carry a towrope?

• Like 1

On 13/09/2019 at 05:55, AndersG said:

I've not seen a trend towards smaller cars and I don't expect to see it.

You don't need a super massive car to tow. Our Yeti is compact and does 55 -58mpg solo on the motorway but will tow normal family caravans with ease.

I was a teenage paperboy when we tried to maintain our Empire  ie The Suez Crisis suddenly there were Isseta bubble cars and Messerschmitts everywhere😀.

Economic/political forces can bring on change in just a few years eg the boom in demand for EVs and motorhomes.

2 hours ago, Durbanite said:

Now seems that maybe electric cars may not be good for the environment as they could cause more damage than any polluting diesel vehicle.  See https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-49567197

I saw the broadcast news article that this is based on.  Firstly it's nothing to do with electric cars, it's to do with power generation and distribution (SF6 is used in switchgear in both).  Secondly there has been alternative switch gear available (as stated in the broadcast item) for over 50 years.  SOmeone just needs to poke a sharp stick in the right place with the power generators, especially as the move to "renewables" is increasing the amount of switching etc because the individual generating units are so small.

20 hours ago, Guzzilazz said:

I saw the broadcast news article that this is based on.  Firstly it's nothing to do with electric cars, it's to do with power generation and distribution (SF6 is used in switchgear in both).  Secondly there has been alternative switch gear available (as stated in the broadcast item) for over 50 years.  SOmeone just needs to poke a sharp stick in the right place with the power generators, especially as the move to "renewables" is increasing the amount of switching etc because the individual generating units are so small.

Not sure how you can say it has nothing to do with electric cars when EVs get their power off the National Grid?

We're at Lyndon Top overlooking Rutland Water and the motorhomes/campervans /RVs completely outnumber the caravans. There's also been a BCC rally on the site and the steward reckons he's had 2/3 motorhomes etc. 

2 hours ago, Durbanite said:

Not sure how you can say it has nothing to do with electric cars when EVs get their power off the National Grid?

The use of electricity and the use of SF6 are not intrinsically linked.

20 hours ago, FrankBullet said:

The use of electricity and the use of SF6 are not intrinsically linked.

That may be true but the switchgear is used to enable the electric to be passed down the line to the consumer as it is part of the distribution process. 

42 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

That may be true but the switchgear is used to enable the electric to be passed down the line to the consumer as it is part of the distribution process. 

Correct, but they are not intrinsically linked.

It is a bit like saying owning a boat and using it on a local lake is killing the Great Barrier Reef because ‘boats do harm’.

It is the same as putting 2 and 2 together and getting a box of legless frogs as the answer.

One thing I just don't get is why on so many (all?) of these tiny vans the front is so heavily sloped.

Yes, it's less like a brick, so more aerodynamic, but it represents a huge loss (in proportion) of the interior of what is an already small space.

And think about it, the "poor" aerodynamics is only an issue when the van is in motion (say 8hrs total for a site 4hrs away) but the loss of space is there all the time you are in occupation, so far in excess of the travel time.

And the smaller the van, the more extreme the slope seems to be !

1 hour ago, daveat92 said:

One thing I just don't get is why on so many (all?) of these tiny vans the front is so heavily sloped.

Yes, it's less like a brick, so more aerodynamic, but it represents a huge loss (in proportion) of the interior of what is an already small space.

And think about it, the "poor" aerodynamics is only an issue when the van is in motion (say 8hrs total for a site 4hrs away) but the loss of space is there all the time you are in occupation, so far in excess of the travel time.

And the smaller the van, the more extreme the slope seems to be !

One thing I note about our Pursuit is that the front is very upright; I suspect this is to the detriment of economy but it does mean we have the sofas directly going to the front of the van (no drawers or shelf to speak of) with maximum usable space.