Sign in to follow this  
tim

Levelling Caravan

Hi,

We are at a caravan site where we had to push the caravan in front ways onto our pitch as opposed to driving it in.

The caravan is not level sideways, but with just the two of us we can't push it onto a ramp.

It is not far out, and as we are here for just another three nights, we can live with it.

My concern is, is it doing any damage to the caravan leaving it as it is?

Many thanks,

Tim

No!

Caravans can be parked on slopes front to back and side to side.

I'd be amazed if everyone who stored at home had dead level ground wouldn't you? 

The only thing that normally has a problem with an unlevel pitch is the fridge ( and people sleeping :) ) If the fridge is working OK then you're level enough. 

Jim 

Stop the van at an angle to the pitch

Chock the "uphill" wheel.

Put ramp next to "downhill" wheel

Release the brake

Swivel the van on to the ramp to level it.

Apply brake but note that you'll need a good tug on the brake to overcome the reverse mechanism if you've put the ramp in front of the wheel.

Swivelling the van is a lot easier than tugging or pushing.

Just out of interest, how much would you guess you would have to raise the low wheel to get it level?

An inflatable Locknlevel may be a worthwhile purchase in these situations.

John

• Like 1

You can double the force by pushing on top of the tyre.

Edited by kelper

Many thanks for answers.

Pleased I've not been doing any damage.

Difficult to say how many inches I would need to level it, but it's enough to look not level when you stand behind or in front of it.

Interested in the way to do it by chocking the wheel but couldn't fully understand it I'm afraid!

The upshot in the end was a pitch became available next to us, so we just put anything inside that might move on the floor, unplugged the water pump, wound up the steadies and moved.

Thanks again though, it's always good to get help and ideas from this forum.

5 minutes ago, tim said:

Many thanks for answers.

Pleased I've not been doing any damage.

Difficult to say how many inches I would need to level it, but it's enough to look not level when you stand behind or in front of it.

Interested in the way to do it by chocking the wheel but couldn't fully understand it I'm afraid!

The upshot in the end was a pitch became available next to us, so we just put anything inside that might move on the floor, unplugged the water pump, wound up the steadies and moved.

Thanks again though, it's always good to get help and ideas from this forum.

by chocking the high side wheel and letting the brake off the caravan will try to roll back/swing on the unchecked side and as it rolls/swings, with may be some help up it goes onto a board or two. On goes the brake and you are more level.

clever idea of AlwynMike

macafee2

The OP must be one of few who do not have a motor mover.  :-)

Regarding leaving the caravan not level if ours is the wrong way for the shower tray it the water as difficulty running out.

Never had problem with out of level with the fridge.

In the pre gas strut days, partially applying the hand brake and then swinging the hitch side to side was a great way to get the van to climb backwards up a levelling ramp. Or up any slope. All courtesy  of the auto reverse brake design and "levers". The partially applied handbrake stopping any forward rolling but allowing backward movement.

These days with the gas strut wanting to fully apply the handbrake, then possibly inhibiting it doing so with a rope looped under the hitch ought to work just as well. Not something I need these days now with a mover, but an invaluable manhandling technique I used for years prior to getting it with my sloping drive.

• Like 1

I put my jack under the low side of the axle and lift up a bit.  But fridge has always worked anyway. If its really bad put you ramp under while wheel jacked  up.

Sign in to follow this