macafee2

only cavanners

Stopped at Warwick services southbound today. Did not fancy the back row of the lorry caravan park so drove around to the front row and found some spaces so backed in.

The only people that had driven in forwards from the front of the front row, were caravanners.  All the lorries had either driven in via the back row or reversed in.

Now blind on both sides the caravanners had to reverse into the path of traffic.  I guess they had lots more space to reverse into then the width between two lorries.

macafee2 

Lack of planning or reversing ability. 

Too lazy to reverse.   :D:D

Was the caravan area full then?

Oh dear!  I would unhitch and use the mover!  :ph34r:;)

8 hours ago, Babstreefern said:

Was the caravan area full then?

I think it is a combined area, is it not?

I realise now I should have said in my op "did not fancy back row or lorry / caravan ...."

macafee2

Probably the same people who would rather reverse their car into traffic out of their driveway at home than reverse in!

• Confused 3

41 minutes ago, Stevan said:

Probably the same people who would rather reverse their car into traffic out of their driveway at home than reverse in!

Every time, doing that enables me to get out of the car in the garage rather than sit trapped there until it goes out again.;)

• Like 2

I have only ever chosen to drive forward into our driveway, and that was when my wife owned a LHD car. All other cars have been reversed off of the road when parking, for the very reason of it being safer to drive forward onto the road.

As far as caravan parking goes at service stations, drive through parking is ideal but unfortunately this is not often available. Also if caravan parking is placed close to the service buildings, it is pretty much guaranteed to be unusable by caravans as it will inevitably be filled by selfish drivers who are not towing.

Warwick Services has a designated caravan area.  Its situated in front of the car park.  The thing with this place, is that its surprising how many cars towing nothing uses these spaces when the car is right in front of them, so closer to the building

Caravan parking at one motorway service area, can't remember which one, is marked for nose-in parking

2 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

Caravan parking at one motorway service area, can't remember which one, is marked for nose-in parking

South bound is a drive through type.  You drive in.  Stop in the white lines, when finished, you just drive out.  No reversing

34 minutes ago, Babstreefern said:

South bound is a drive through type.  You drive in.  Stop in the white lines, when finished, you just drive out.  No reversing

either I'm parking in the wrong place or you are wrong. The lanes I use are long enough for 2 outfits be it a arctic and one caravan or two caravans and so the second person to park does indeed have to reverse out.

North bound can be the same but North bound there is no access to the petrol station for cars and caravans.

macafee2

On 09/09/2019 at 22:03, macafee2 said:

The only people that had driven in forwards from the front of the front row, were caravanners.  All the lorries had either driven in via the back row or reversed in.

Now blind on both sides the caravanners had to reverse into the path of traffic.

At the Oxford Services there's no option but to drive in head first, then reverse out.   I parked there a few weeks ago and having driven in between two lorries, getting out again without a co-driver to watch the traffic, was difficult to say the least.  

1497180546_Oxfordservices.jpg.24b2879745adc7cae209092420cd539e.jpg

45 minutes ago, Jaydug said:

At the Oxford Services there's no option but to drive in head first, then reverse out.   I parked there a few weeks ago and having driven in between two lorries, getting out again without a co-driver to watch the traffic, was difficult to say the least.  

1497180546_Oxfordservices.jpg.24b2879745adc7cae209092420cd539e.jpg

Alternatively you could use the dedicated caravan parking area ;)

image.png

Even so there's still likely to be the odd white van there . . .

image.png

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Gordon said:

Alternatively you could use the dedicated caravan parking area ;)

I usually do.    It's the HGV guys that can't read

1318504364_xfordservices2.png.b3227e9a141b4cb97921bb5fcaf2307a.png

That's interesting John. I visit these services quite often so I'll have to see what the signage for the area I indicated says when I'm next at the Wheatley services. My guess is that they've probably changed the directions as you indicate while some major work has been carried out to the rear of the hotel complex, and following provision of a larger HGV parking area behind the fuel depot. As you say, the area previously designated for HGVs appears to have been allocated now to coaches and Caravans, and as you suggest, now does not allow for drive through parking.

image.png

36 minutes ago, Jaydug said:

I usually do.    It's the HGV guys that can't read

1318504364_xfordservices2.png.b3227e9a141b4cb97921bb5fcaf2307a.png

Probably true given the high numbers of non British drivers on the uk road.

2 hours ago, Gordon said:

I'll have to see what the signage for the area I indicated says when I'm next at the Wheatley services. 

The signage at Oxford Services is a shambles.   The area marked with the caravan sign is useless since the entrance road has "CARS" stencilled across it .  Which is probably why the bays are empty.    Caravans are indicated to go straight on to the yellow marked caravan area, but full of HGVs.   If you do park there, be prepared to reverse out.

1124376633_OxfordServicestation.thumb.jpg.9aed5f5b675a5d62860eddd99456ff80.jpg

• +1 1

7 hours ago, Jaydug said:

At the Oxford Services there's no option but to drive in head first, then reverse out.   ....  getting out again without a co-driver to watch the traffic, was difficult to say the least.

It appears from the sat view that lorries need to reverse out too, so you are no worse off than they are.  All the "traffic" has either just done the same thing, or will need to shortly, so they can hardly complain and will generally be prepared for others doing it. It is not like reversing out onto a normal highway.

Edited by Bolingbroke
  • Like 1

I don't  have any problem  or get stress at all about parking among the lorries on all motorway service,  I  don't find it hard to reverse in or out either.

Edited by oldboy

13 hours ago, Jaydug said:

The signage at Oxford Services is a shambles.  

I won't disagree with you there. 

What I think is happening is that the area I previously referred to for caravans, is slowly being taken over by charging points for electric vehicles (the section nearest to the building is already reserved for Teslas only, with further charge points nearby) and it looks like the signage is "in transition". The HGV parking area you used is being (has been) allocated for caravans and coaches, while truckers who "know" the services will instinctively go where they always have, and ignore any new signage to the larger HGV parking area.

At the moment I'm several hundred miles from Oxford but as I said, I'll have a look next time I'm there and snap a few images of what signage exists at the various access points and junctions.