Coachman 2020 VIP 520 on order

kiaboy

Message added by CT Advertising,

Wandahome LogoWandahome, Knottingley is a well-established family company and has been one of the main UK dealers for touring Coachman Caravans since 1989.

Click here to view Wandahome, Knottingley’s range of caravans, awnings and accessories available in their brand new state of the art showroom.

Well we went to the final Lawns Caravan Show (after 44 years) on Saturday.  We decided to swap our 10 month old VIP 520, after the way Dometic handled our recent issues and the pathetic Dometic Loo. We had to take the cost hit on the chin, after a lengthy discussion with the sales guy and his boss, we finally got a "deal" where we actually lost 30% 😫 but feel in the long run now we only have to put up with Dometic Fridge. Dealer is going to confirm delivery date next week. But they did say un-officially could be 1st or 2nd week on Oct. 🙏

Its hard with such a quick change.

We did the same in 2013 changing a 9 month old Swift.

We are quite taken with Coachman, either the VIP 545 or 575.

Seen the 545, waiting to see the 575.

Glad to see the sprung seats, but what do you make of the upholstery?

OH thinks it will deteriate quickly, so she wants to look at the options available.

If we do make the change, I will take the weight upgrade to 1700kg - shouldn’t be a problem for the Sorento.

Edited by hp100425ev

12 hours ago, hp100425ev said:

Its hard with such a quick change.

We did the same in 2013 changing a 9 month old Swift.

We are quite taken with Coachman, either the VIP 545 or 575.

Seen the 545, waiting to see the 575.

Glad to see the sprung seats, but what do you make of the upholstery?

OH thinks it will deteriate quickly, so she wants to look at the options available.

If we do make the change, I will take the weight upgrade to 1700kg - shouldn’t be a problem for the Sorento.

I agree the upholstery is not has appealing as our present one, also not a great lover of the fish bowl sink in the washroom but,  or the smaller front roof light, looking at all the vans on show that seems to have been fitted to all manufacturers this year, we decided it was a small price to pay to loose the Dometic loo. I think Coachman have "standardised" the who range to reduce their build costs tbh. This will certainly be our last van (said that about this one🤔) I know of another who has taken the plunge on Friday to swap his VIP to get away from the Dometoc loo, also most of the people I spoke to at the show were not happy with the loo and were thinking of changing. Hope you have luck in your change if you decide to do it.

Had a call from the dealer, I can pick van up on 1st Oct, but as the wife has a medical appointment on that day, so it will be 3rd Oct now. 

• 2 weeks later...

Where to start ? , ours went faulty after about 3 weeks , I opened the lid to find the pink flushing water right up to the top of the bowl , after months of wrangling with the dealer I had a new circuit board fitted , it’s attached to the flusher button on the top of the bowl , it failed again after about six months & I fixed it myself by removing it & covering it with WD40 & a coating of Vaseline . I worked in electronics most of my life & it was obvious to me that in hot conditions the board was covered in condensation from the effects of heat & cold flusher water which short circuited the contacts on the flusher circuit , not rocket science & why didn’t the Dometic ‘experts’ pick it up during testing . A plastic enclosed board would have sorted the problem . 

Other issues , the toilet leaks from the top seal when you put it on its wheels to take to the CDP , the handle which opens the slider to empty any deposits catches on the ground & becomes scratched after the first use rendering the  said handle unsightly. The float is very flimsy & breaks after a short while , basically it is a poor design & not fit for purpose , the same can also be said for Dometic fridges 😡😡😡😡

On 23/09/2019 at 19:34, Kathy657 said:

What is the problem with the loo? Ours has a thetford loo.

Depends on model and year you have.

All Dometic were fitted in VIP 2018 & 2019 models

On 24/09/2019 at 06:20, stevew1 said:

the toilet leaks from the top seal when you put it on its wheels to take to the CDP

Mine started to do this on the last week of our holiday, hands dripping in excrement water while pressing the pressure release button is not on....

30% hit, ouch! 

I think for that sort of money I would put up with the odd “inconvenience” (pun fully intended) 

I certainly couldn’t swallow that sort of financial punishment, if I could I might feel the same as you clearly do. 

Andy

Edited by Mr Plodd

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

1 hour ago, Mr Plodd said:

30% hit, ouch! 

I think for that sort of money I would put up with the odd “inconvenience” (pun fully intended) 

I certainly couldn’t swallow that sort of financial punishment, if I could I might feel the same as you clearly do. 

Andy

😁

9 months was quite enough, the wife is a stickler about money, but even she was in total agreement to get rid,  it has been an expensive holiday this year 😫

Could you not have asked the dealer to fit a Thetford and agreed a reduced price for doing so?

I have commented on the size of the Thetford on 2020 models in another thread on here.

Ian

2018 Range Rover Sport AB,  2015 Buccaneer Cruiser.

Yes we are the proud owners of a Dometic toilet, just not fit for purpose.

When on site i have Thetford envy! Has anyone looked into whether the aperture size would allow a Thetford to be retro fitted it must be close i intend to ask the dealer. 

30 minutes ago, IanV8 said:

Could you not have asked the dealer to fit a Thetford and agreed a reduced price for doing so?

I have commented on the size of the Thetford on 2020 models in another thread on here.

Ian

I did look into that but was  told Thetford will not fit Dometic wall cut outs, so that is not an option.

I sat on the seat of the 2020 installed toilet and found it to be a good fit for me and the wife anyway. 

Plus my personal dealings with Dometic customer service is lower than poor, they could not provide a simple oven door seal in 5 weeks, even though the dealer was given a 2 week delivery, even 2 weeks is poor, for a bit of rubber, I ended up buying one from a local electrical store for £14.99 to enable me to use the oven, they continued to ignore my emails and the dealers for updates until I got Coachman involved, I then got a call and email from Dometics senior exec who finally got things moving, I asked him why is it I can buy spares for Thetford anywhere but nothing for Dometic, guess what, he ignored that so not IMHO good at getting simple parts to end users. 

Edited by kiaboy

Collected van today. As we had to have the mover swapped over we needed to be at the dealers for 9am, unfortunately due to heavy traffic on the A1M we were late by 15 mins, chap was waiting for us in the car park so it was quick un-hitch and off it went into the workshop. We had to wait until they had checked it over and agreed the part exchange price. We then had to wait a few hours before the new one would be ready so we had a walk in the near RSPB then to a local pub for lunch. Hand over was very in depth even though most of the items were in our 2019 model. As we arrived Richard was just plugging the EHU in so we could see heating working, by the time we had got to the sales area and got a coffee, Barry the salesman came to us to say its ready, when we walked into the van it was already warm so that was a big tick for my wife. After moving the money over to them, the deal was done and off we went, what a pleasure to tow a caravan without squealing brakes, Thetford Toilet and cooker.

Due to the length of time it took to get back home and traffic, we only managed to get the EHU connected and pull the curtains to. 

So a review will be coming up soon.. 

I wish you all the luck with your new caravan. We’ve endured a 2019 VIP since March, and the list of faults is up to 25 if you include squealing brakes! It’s been back to the factory for rectification - some faults were fixed, others weren’t, and others have developed since! Great, solid body shell, but otherwise utter garbage. I used to have “Coachman Envy”, but not any more.  I see others on-site, and where there used to be envy, it’s pity! It really is the worst of the ten new caravans that we’ve had over the years. 

Edited by nigel207
Additional information

Enjoy your new van kiaboy. Look forward to hearing the running report after your first outing - hope it’s all positive. We did the Factory Tour last Saturday - very interesting and very much all “hands on deck”. Not a single Dometic toilet in sight - lots of Thetford ones on the shelves, ready for installation.  Enjoyed it.

Glen.

Edited by Glen and Les

4 hours ago, Glen and Les said:

Enjoy your new van kiaboy. Look forward to hearing the running report after your first outing - hope it’s all positive. We did the Factory Tour last Saturday - very interesting and very much all “hands on deck”. Not a single Dometic toilet in sight - lots of Thetford ones on the shelves, ready for installation.  Enjoyed it.

Glen.

Thanks Glen,

I am pleased you enjoyed the tour, It was a few years ago when we had our "private" tour with Trevor Baxter and we too enjoyed it very much.  Our first outing will now be Christmas to Ferry Meadows at Peterborough.

1st impressions are the upholstery and curtains feels cheap compared to our previous model, Washroom is far better especially with the Thetford toilet, but it does seem slightly smaller than our previous  caravan Thetford loo's.  Pity they have still kept the linen bag in the wardrobe making the 2 drawers small.  Belfield are now supplying the cushions.  Hope to try rest of items out in the next few days as hospital appointments have taken over again :rolleyes:.

Regards

Paul

26 minutes ago, kiaboy said:

Pity they have still kept the linen bag in the wardrobe making the 2 drawers small.  

I remember seeing the linen bag in the base of the wardrobe when we looked inside the redesigned 520 bathroom when we were changing our van. At the time I thought it was a waste, because I store quite a bit in the bottom of the wardrobe, which would make the bag inaccessible. The drawers in our 565 are, I think, just as shallow, because the wheel arch is behind them, but we manage. Stay positive and enjoy!

Glen.

17 minutes ago, Glen and Les said:

I remember seeing the linen bag in the base of the wardrobe when we looked inside the redesigned 520 bathroom when we were changing our van. At the time I thought it was a waste, because I store quite a bit in the bottom of the wardrobe, which would make the bag inaccessible. The drawers in our 565 are, I think, just as shallow, because the wheel arch is behind them, but we manage. Stay positive and enjoy!

Glen.

Thanks Glen, We certainly will.

We always use the linen bag to keep the spare toilet rolls.....

Paul

Hi Paul

Spare kitchen paper and loo rolls - that is what the linen basket is for with us too.

Hope you will be pleased with your new 520 - we are going to see a new 2020 dealer special VIP at our dealers next week so will let you know our thoughts and possibly 'watch this space' ! I wouldn't say that we exactly hate the Dometic  loo now as I suppose after 18 months we are getting used to it but we would much prefer the Thetford.

I have been looking at some photos of the new model - in the washroom, is the large double fronted mirrored cupboard still there above the sink or is it just a mirror ?  When you say that the rooflight is smaller - do you mean the Heki or the panoramic one and how much smaller is it  as we do think that the 520 lacks a bit of daylight at the kitchen/dinette end ? Our one issue with ours has been the Whale Watermaster inlet and pump, not fit for purpose and whilst on holiday I repaired two other caravanners water systems who both had water gushing out of the pump plug inlet and the water inlet housing letting the water flood into the seat box, both on new Eldis caravans. Also, after having our brakes re-built under warranty they are squealing again but not as loud as before - on our last site in France before we came home last week  the characteristic sound of the high pitched brake squeal was heard again on a new Eldis caravan coming onto the site so Alko haven't cracked it yet !

Enjoy !

Alan 

On 09/09/2019 at 19:57, kiaboy said:

Well we went to the final Lawns Caravan Show (after 44 years) on Saturday.  We decided to swap our 10 month old VIP 520, after the way Dometic handled our recent issues and the pathetic Dometic Loo. We had to take the cost hit on the chin, after a lengthy discussion with the sales guy and his boss, we finally got a "deal" where we actually lost 30% 😫 but feel in the long run now we only have to put up with Dometic Fridge. Dealer is going to confirm delivery date next week. But they did say un-officially could be 1st or 2nd week on Oct. 🙏

Hi Kiaboy, have Coachman lengthened the front sofas on the 2020 model, we nearly bought a 2019 , 520 but had to cancel due the sofas being two inches shorter than on our 2014  VIP 520. I wrote to Elliot and queried the situation but typically did not get a response, always had a reply from young Trev. Just returned today from seven  week trip to France and Catalonia, so it is a little soon t go t the NEC, too much to catch u on !!

1 hour ago, Les Medes said:

Hi Kiaboy, have Coachman lengthened the front sofas on the 2020 model, we nearly bought a 2019 , 520 but had to cancel due the sofas being two inches shorter than on our 2014  VIP 520. I wrote to Elliot and queried the situation but typically did not get a response, always had a reply from young Trev. Just returned today from seven  week trip to France and Catalonia, so it is a little soon t go t the NEC, too much to catch u on !!

Hi Les

Front seating is 6ft long x 2ft 4" wide

Regards

Paul

That means they have got slightly smaller than the 2018/2019 versions then.

Paul, 

Any more information on the washroom mirrored glass cupboard above the sink or is it a mirror only ?

Alan

2 hours ago, kiaboy said:

Hi Les

Front seating is 6ft long x 2ft 4" wide

Regards

Paul

Thanks Paul, so no notice taken by Elliot, too short for me I'm afraid, may have to look at the twin bed layout, loathe to leave Coachman as the next van will be our sixth

1 hour ago, AlanS said:

That means they have got slightly smaller than the 2018/2019 versions then.

Paul, 

Any more information on the washroom mirrored glass cupboard above the sink or is it a mirror only ?

Alan

Hi Alan

Our opinion better washroom, Mirror only now, cupboard above toilet. I was referring to the Helki, but after looking and playing with it, it is growing on me. 

Paul

21 minutes ago, Les Medes said:

Thanks Paul, so no notice taken by Elliot, too short for me I'm afraid, may have to look at the twin bed layout, loathe to leave Coachman as the next van will be our sixth

Hi Les, if they had reduced the middle cupboard, then they could have increased one of the beds

Paul

20191005_170109.thumb.jpg.f545eb4aec1acc101357e780cf9760b1.jpg

Our washroom

Edited by kiaboy

Hi Paul

Many thanks for this. A friend of ours who we were with last week in France phoned us today to say that they have ordered a new 2020 VIP 520 last weekend at a pre-show event and it should be with them before the end of the month  - getting a bit common, eh !

Alan

Edited by AlanS