mecamero

Argeles-sur-mer

Hi,

Thinking about possible locations for a holiday in France next summer during the school holiday July/August time.

I am wondering about somewhere near Argeles-sur-mer on the Mediterranean coast.

I have been further East near Frejus / Hyeres a long time ago. I liked these areas, but  they were very busy with traffic in the peak season.

Anyone like holidaying near Argeles-sur-mer? We are a family with children 12 and 9, looking for a site with good pools and slides and also nice beaches within easy reach. Anyone recommend the region? Any particular campsite recommendations would be great.

Thanks in advance.

If you are prepared to hop over the border there is a site that will be right up your street in Spain

L'Amfora

But if you want to stay in France Camping Brasilia looks to be the ultimate all action, do everything,  no need to leave the campsite sort of place. I'm too old but your kids might love it. 

Argeles- sur- Mer is a great place to base yourself to tour that wonderful part of France, as well as Andorra and northern Spain. . There are many campsites, in and around Argeles . We really enjoyed the area.  Well worth the visit.

Been there.  Lovely area, especially Collioure.   Visit Le Perthus on the Spanish border - great for duty free shopping.  Its one long street.  Top tip.  Its a steepish climb up the hill.  Visit the shops and take note of the prices (and name of the shop), when you get to the top (end of the "high street"), you can then walk down, and buy your duty free.  The reason for this is that there's a massive car/bus/lorry park at the bottom of the hill.  Dont even think of trying to park on the street or even just off it.  Easier to park in the car park.  Just makes sense not to have to carry stuff on your way up, when you can collect it going down:lol:

Can really recommend Camping Le Dauphin - great pools, and some of the pitches have their own shower room we we used so didn't need to use facilities in the caravan.

https://www.campingledauphin.com/en/

2 hours ago, SteveMilner said:

If you are prepared to hop over the border there is a site that will be right up your street in Spain

L'Amfora

L’Amfora

Laguna

Nautica Almatra

Las Dunas

El Delfin Verde

La Bellena Alegra

Cala GoGo

etc

are all just over the border in Spain, all great for family holidays.

25 years ago our plan was just to ‘turn up’ at Argeles-Sur-Mer in August, bad idea, everything was booked out that’s how we ended up travelling another 45 minutes into Spain and the Costa Brava. We’ve been going almost every year since.

Wherever you choose to go if it’s July or August you really need to book.

If ‘slides’ are on your priority list then I’d recommend Las Dunas

1 hour ago, Borussia 1900 said:

Nautic Almata

This was one of best sites for kids in our days.

geoff

17 minutes ago, shipbroker said:

geoff

It still is but it does have quite a few ‘Youth Groups’ there which puts me off a bit 

The reason we go to Laguna is that it’s not as ‘full on’ as the others. Las Dunas has a great new pool complex and a full evening entertainment programme, a huge site but not for everyone, kids love it though.

My personal favourite is La Ballena Alegre but I just go where I’m told 🤗

If memory serves me well (I could be wrong I haven’t been back in 25 years) but I think the campsites at Argeles-sur-mer aren’t directly at the beach, they’re dotted around the town, whereas the ones just over the border in Spain have direct beach access.

And.......... you don’t need to wear budgie smugglers in the pool 😂😂😂🕺

I like wearing budgie smugglers but then again I've got a big budgie

3 hours ago, phutchison said:

Can really recommend Camping Le Dauphin - great pools, and some of the pitches have their own shower room we we used so didn't need to use facilities in the caravan.

https://www.campingledauphin.com/en/

Good choice not far from the beach and the we/shower on your pitch is well worth while .Chris

16 minutes ago, dustypete said:

I like wearing budgie smugglers but then again I've got a big budgie

I’ve got a parrot 🦜 😂😂😂😲

Hello this is a message for shipbroker (Geoff) sorry to hijack this thread but wasn't sure if you would see it if I replied to a really old thread from 2013 ! And I saw this was the most recent thread you commented on.

Below is your post form 2013....

"Some years ago at The National I was changing my filter and a passing rallier stopped and asked how often I changed it?....Once or twice a year was the reply. .......Unless you can change it monthly don't bother, run with it empty. I asked how come and it appears he was a Medical Officer of Health and he broke open the old one and showed me a collection of green moss on the charcoal, this was May and I had changed it pre-Christmas before . ...... he said there wasn't anything wrong with the potable water provided anywhere in UK at the time and what you were filtering built up in the cartridge. .......

I took his advice and never bothered again but the other rally officer started changing his more regularly. ........yes we filter at home as we have a discolouration but not in the 'van. 

Geoff"

I plan to use the Whale Aquasource Kit EM9433 (which allows you to have mains water going into the caravan by reducing the pressure)

https://www.caravanaccessoryshop.co.uk/product/whale-aquasource-kit-em9433/6063

My question is would it still be ok to not put a crystal filter in the housing ? The Aquasource kit plugs into the Truma crystal (MK2) housing by way of an adaptor

https://www.caravanaccessoryshop.co.uk/product/aquasource-carver-adaptor/51

but im not sure if the water will flow in to the caravan water pipes ok as initially it will flow into this big space (where the filter should be). Not sure if you were using it with a pump rather than mains and if that makes a difference to how it would work without a filter inserted. Hope that makes sense !!

Many thanks in advance if you are able to reply and shed light on this for me.

Best wishes

Philippa

17 hours ago, shipbroker said:

geoff

We went there this year - Kids loved it (17 & 15) as there were loads of their age group - I think l'Amfora is more suited to younger kids (as per the OP) and has slides, whereas Nautic doesn't.

Not been to others in the area.

As the the comment on booking During August - Yes it makes sense - I tried to book on the go, as it were, and couldn't get into l'Amfora so started checking out the nearby ones and Nautic had a spot luckily.

We liked Nautic better to be honest.

Hi All,

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. I had looked at camping le dauphin - it looks great. One review on trip advisor put me off, since it talked about a lot of loud music noise late at night from an adjacent campsite.

I had thought about sating in France, but might consider hopping the border into Spain, so will look at the other recommendations.

Anyone stayed at Camping les Criques de Porteils?