Sign in to follow this  
Hillstart

Hitching on main road

Hi all

Have had quite a few trips away since last asked advice all great fun once on road) 

Is it legal/illegal to take caravan out onto main road then hitch onto car? 

Our caravan sits in our driveway and have ample space to hitch car and be ready to tow (it’s very angular accurate). When we pull out we have to cross over centre white line to get end of caravan past wall and out. This can cause a little bit of stress as I slow down traffic coming round corner, kids guide hubby out past wall and we don’t have anyone else to stop traffic coming towards us which is where the issue is as drivers try to be helpful but stop too close and it all gets a bit tight and stressful (lack of punctuation should be indication of stress levels 😬)(a diagram wldve been easier 🙄) we are on a 30mph road (A93) which is now lot busier than 15 years ago. Any helpful or amusing comments appreciated 

13 minutes ago, Hillstart said:

I don't know to be honest.   But I used to do it every time I went away.   On my return, I parked up on the opposite side's pavement, unhitched, then reversed the caravan across the road on the mover, (so it was slow) across the pavement and into the drive.   Most drivers that needed to stop were mainly considerate.   Now that I've turned more lawn over to paving, I can hitch up in my drive, and drive straight in when I return.  

Edited by Jaydug

Interesting!

I very much doubt that hitching up on the highway is, in itself illegal, but a decision needs to be made whether it is safer to manoeuvre an entire outfit across a road, or manoeuvre separately and hitch up on the road.  

I suppose the real question is whether or not a caravan, powered by a mover, on a public road is a motor vehicle in its own right, requiring registration, insurance etc.

1 hour ago, Hillstart said:

Hi all

Have had quite a few trips away since last asked advice all great fun once on road) 

Our caravan sits in our driveway and have ample space to hitch car and be ready to tow (it’s very angular accurate). When we pull out we have to cross over centre white line to get end of caravan past wall and out. This can cause a little bit of stress as I slow down traffic coming round corner, kids guide hubby out past wall and we don’t have anyone else to stop traffic coming towards us which is where the issue is as drivers try to be helpful but stop too close and it all gets a bit tight and stressful (lack of punctuation should be indication of stress levels 😬)(a diagram wldve been easier 🙄) we are on a 30mph road (A93) which is now lot busier than 15 years ago. Any helpful or amusing comments appreciated 

I would imagine hitching up on your drive and then setting off would cause the least amount of inconvenience to you and other road users when compared to parking the caravan on the road and then hitching up.

Is the centre white line a solid one  - if so vehicles are not meant to cross them.

1 hour ago, Paul1957 said:

I would imagine hitching up on your drive and then setting off would cause the least amount of inconvenience to you and other road users when compared to parking the caravan on the road and then hitching up.

Is the centre white line a solid one  - if so vehicles are not meant to cross them.

You can cross a solid white line if it's physically impossible to avoid it, eg a large vehicle.

The question centres around parking a caravan (albeit for a short time) on the highway while not coupled to a tow vehicle.

IIRC it's legal to park a caravan unhitched on the highway in a place where it would be legal to park a vehicle. However, at night, the caravan would need to have lighting (a bit like a skip does when left on the highway)

So if you aren't hitching up a night, I think it's OK

i have to hitch and un hitch on the road since the council decided it was clever to put up little wooden posts on the grass opposite me very stressful especially coming home stopping traffic etc ,,, one of the reasons i am selling the caravan and going for a ,motor home ,,

If I were you I would take the least stressful and safest method.

If I were you I would not worry one jot about the "assumed" legality of your actions - just do it.

How many times have you seen a police vehicle outside your house waiting for you to emerge?

Why look for issues that are so unlikely to raise their head.

And bottom line how many police officers would do more than help you by stopping traffic or, if they felt the need, give you friendly advice.

Quite understand the stress but just do it the way you think best. 

• Like 2
  • +1 1

We live up a cul-de-sac, getting off the drive is no problem as you can either swing right to go down the road, or if there are cars parked opposite go left, reverse down the dead end Close above and then drive out of the estate.

Coming back is different in that I drive past the house and then left reverse at 45deg across the front of the house to the hardstanding, If there are cars parked opposite the drive I cannot swing wide enough.

So I simply stop the car put the hazards on, get out of the car engage the motor mover, and then reverse the caravan across the hard standing to us position down the side of the house.

I have had the odd toot or dirty look , but a shrug of the shoulders in a “what else would you like me to do” stance is all they get back.

• +1 1

3 hours ago, Paul1957 said:

Depending on your definition of "not meant" you may be wrong, see highway code rule 129.

macafee2

We often hitch up on the road as access is quite difficult.

If it's raining, you can ride in the caravan as you bring it out using the motor-mover!

1 hour ago, Grandpa Steve said:

We live up a cul-de-sac, getting off the drive is no problem as you can either swing right to go down the road, or if there are cars parked opposite go left, reverse down the dead end Close above and then drive out of the estate.

Coming back is different in that I drive past the house and then left reverse at 45deg across the front of the house to the hardstanding, If there are cars parked opposite the drive I cannot swing wide enough.

So I simply stop the car put the hazards on, get out of the car engage the motor mover, and then reverse the caravan across the hard standing to us position down the side of the house.

I have had the odd toot or dirty look , but a shrug of the shoulders in a “what else would you like me to do” stance is all they get back.

I have exactly the same problem and resort to the same solution.

Fortunately we have been lucky this season and no one has parked opposite but it’s always a possibility resulting in the road being blocked for a few minutes.

A bit like 

1 rubbish lorry-domestic

2 garden waste truck

3 organic waste truck

4 street cleaning

5 drain clearing

6 Tesco etc deliveries

7 Builders truck drop offs

etc

• Like 1

As I live on a very steep hill, with a single track road, bounded by stone walls and no footway,  blocking the road is the only way for me. I have to drive uphill and reverse in to the drive - downhill is not an option due to sharp bends and buildings. I can just about reverse in, although usually it takes a few goes, so I tend to stop and run the van into the drive on the mover (drive is uphill from the road ), leaving the car on the road. Most people are OK and not having seen a caravan motor move are often quietly amused. Those that get shirty tend to have to wait a little longer.....

Going out of the drive, it's physically impossible for me to drive my current outfit onto the road because of the aforementioned stone walls. I push the van out onto the road,  downhill, then run the van down the road, downhill, on the brake, as it is quite steep, to my car which is further down where the road is wider.

My road is a bit of a rat run through town, so is well used. The more timid drivers don't use it because it's narrow and there are few passing spots. But it's amazing how many people can't reverse solo. Rarely a month goes by without me having to help push a car off the bank just up the road. 

4 minutes ago, AlwynMike said:

...... Those that get shirty tend to have to wait a little longer.....

My road is a bit of a rat run through town, so is well used. .....

We have a single track unmade lane that runs down the side of our property and I access my garage, parking area and back garden through a large gate half way down this lane. It’s also used as a rat run especially at school leaving time as the multitudes scream down our road and into the lane in an attempt to beat the traffic queue they would other wise encounter on the main road route.

I actually take great delight in coming home at 3pm whether with  car solo or with caravan because it takes AGES to get the car and especially a caravan into my property off our (communally owned but regrettably never kept private) lane. It’s especially amusing when 2 or 3 people have joined a queue, mistakenly assuming it would be but a moment. Watching them manage the necessary reversing convoy can be a final highlight of our holiday.

• Like 1

We live on a very long no through road (over a mile long) which has no speed restrictions so it's 60mph. The van has to be hitched and unhitched on the road as we take it in forwards. Visibility is good so we aren't causing a hazard

We do our best to avoid causing an obstruction although those who live opposite don't help when they have 2 or 3 cars/vans parked opposite our gateway. Although I let them know them we want to get in or out they usually don't take any notice so we have the difficulty of shuffling the van back and forth rather than getting it in and out in one go

If people have to wait then so be it.

16 hours ago, Grandpa Steve said:

I have exactly the same. With our old van we had to push the thing up the drive, no doubt to the amusement of our neighbours from behind their curtains. With our new van we use the mover, they come out now to watch in awe and amazement!

Reading some of your problems you don't realise sometimes how lucky you are. We only take ours home from storage 3 or 4 times a year mainly to give it a good clean and load up. We live in a cul de sac and our drive is more or less opposite the road in so its a 100m reverse down the road and straight up the drive, Our neighbours are brilliant even to the point that a couple of the locals like coming out to watch and help specially when i give the the motor mover control to help. Last time home I put the awning up to give it a dry out when I looked outside next Mrs J and a couple of the neighbours had got the chairs and wine out!!!

Re the OP's point, do what you feel safest / happiest doing and if people have to wait so be it....

19 hours ago, robf1234 said:

i have to hitch and un hitch on the road since the council decided it was clever to put up little wooden posts on the grass opposite me very stressful especially coming home stopping traffic etc ,,, one of the reasons i am selling the caravan and going for a ,motor home ,,

I have the same problem, except it was the BT who decided to put a telegraph pole dead opposite my drive, making it impossible to use the car to put the caravan up my drive.

20 hours ago, Squash said:

If I were you I would take the least stressful and safest method.

If I were you I would not worry one jot about the "assumed" legality of your actions - just do it.

How many times have you seen a police vehicle outside your house waiting for you to emerge?

Why look for issues that are so unlikely to raise their head.

And bottom line how many police officers would do more than help you by stopping traffic or, if they felt the need, give you friendly advice.

Quite understand the stress but just do it the way you think best. 

But maybe with the advent of the new parking app it would be wise to hitch up under the hours of darkness. 😁😁

• Haha 1

Sign in to follow this