aacaravans

Towing with a Peugeot 3008

The effect of weight of the towing vehicle on stability while towing in normal conditions can be debated.

The effect of weight of the towing vehicle and it's ability to control yaw inertia of a trailer with a sudden change of direction for some unforeseen circumstance is not.  

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

"more weight" isn't contentious - it will improve stability, all other things being equal - quantifying that improvement may be difficult, impossible even, but an improvement it will be.

You say it "isn't contentious", I say it isn't proven, that sounds like contentious to me!

2 hours ago, Black Grouse said:

"more weight" isn't contentious - it will improve stability, all other things being equal - quantifying that improvement may be difficult, impossible even, but an improvement it will be.

I’d disagree that it’s not contentious - centre of gravity directly affects stability so a heavier car with a higher centre of gravity will likely be less stable than a slightly lighter car with a lower centre of gravity.

58 minutes ago, FrankBullet said:

I’d disagree that it’s not contentious - centre of gravity directly affects stability so a heavier car with a higher centre of gravity will likely be less stable than a slightly lighter car with a lower centre of gravity.

I stated "all other things being equal" - so comparing apples with apples and not pears, a heavier car will give better stability.

Having different weights and everything else ‘equal’ doesn’t really mean anything though

5 hours ago, Jaydug said:

You chose the lowest powered engine for your Picasso - the code RHY .   You could have had the RHZ which would have been the 110hp version producing 191lbs/ft against your 157lbs/ft.     Although yours is an early version of the present PSA DW family, many Citroen/Puegeot mechanics think it was better than the later 16-valve.

At the time the Picasso was our second car with the towcar being a Saab 9-5 with 2.3 petrol turbo engine. I was looking to replace the Saab so gave the Picasso a try having read they were good tow cars. Eventually the Saab was replaced by a Citroen C5 2.2 hdi 136 hp hatchback (mass in service 1560 kg) and that could tow that caravan (MTPLM 1300 kg) all day without hardly noticing it. When the caravan was replaced with a heavier one (1500 kg MTPLM) it was not as good so the car was replaced with a Citroen 2.2 hdi 173 bhp estate, mass in service 1680 kg, and again this tows the caravan very well. From my experience I would not get a car for caravan towing which has a mass in service close to a caravan's MTPLM.