aacaravans

Towing with a Peugeot 3008

We recently upgraded our caravan from a single axle 1500KG MTPLM to a twin axle 1650KG MTPLM. Our Peugeot 3008 2 Litre Diesel Manual has a towing limit of 2000KG so I assumed it would be fine.

Unfortunately, it's not, the car feels unstable at 60mph, struggles to get over 50 mph on steep inclines and generally feels like the caravan is more in control than the car.

I remember when I first bought the car the manual stated a max towing limit of 1650KG but then it was updated shortly after to 2000KG. In my opinion, 1650KG is the real figure and I feel I'm now right on the upper limit of the capabilities of the car.

We've been caravaning for over 7 years and this is our third caravan so we're not new to this and fully understand how to load the car and van. On the first trip out last month I put most of the heavy items in the boot and the awning in the roof box as the initial tow home from the dealer felt uncomfortable.

I really don't want to have to change the car and we love the new caravan so not sure which way to go. We're not in any hurry as we only use the caravan twice a year but I'm avoiding going away anywhere too far from home.

Anyone have any advice or is it going to be a case of having to change the car?

What year and model 3008 is involved?

Are PSA doing the Towing Weight shuffle, where the GVW plus Towing Weight adds up to more than the GTW. In such cases if either of the vehicles is at, or near their max's then the max for the other vehicle has to be reduced.  Check the statutory weight plate as they're the legally applicable weights.   

Assume this is the current 3008 from the figures given - you can’t get the manual anymore but the auto has a mass in service of 1644kg so I would imagine the manual would be about 1620kg, that’s one heavy van to put on the back of a 3008. It’s also the same engine as our old DS4 which was fine towing 1300kg and could have taken more but again I would imagine 1650kg is at the limit of what’s comfortable - our GTW was about 3100kg, yours is nudging 3750kg of the car and van are full

I think the reality is that the caravan and car probably isn’t a great combo.

Edited by FrankBullet

2 minutes ago, FrankBullet said:

Assume this is the current 3008 from the figures given - you can’t get the manual anymore but the auto has a mass in service of 1644kg so I would imagine the manual would be about 1620kg, that’s one heavy van to put on the back of a 3008. It’s also the same engine as outnumber old DS4 which was fine towing 1300kg and could have taken more but again I would imagine 1650kg is at the limit of what’s comfortable.

I think the reality is that the caravan and car probably isn’t a great combo.

My 2013 3008 115bhp 1.6Hdi had a 1090kg max braked towing limit. Even towing a 1050kg MTPLM Gobur Folding caravan made it cough and wheeze, blowing Number 1 injector on the return journey from its maiden voyage to France on my 65th birthday last year. 'Happy birthday, darling, I couldn't think what to get you so I hope you like the new injector...'

Steve

Thanks for the replies. It is a newer 3008 (17 plate). Here is what the specs say:

Kerb Weight: 1500kg

GTW: 4050kg <- This is on the plate on the car

GVW: 2050kg <- This is on the plate on the car

Braked Trailer: 2000kg

Nose Weight: 80kg

Caravan is:

MRO: 1522kg

MTPLM: 1682kg

There is a risk we turn this into a definition of weights discussion (brace, brace) but be aware that Peugeot and Citroen quote a ‘kerb weight’ and ‘mass in service’ in the technical information; the main purpose of the former seems to be bragging rights that they are getting ‘lighter’ which they are not as the mass in service is the accurate figure (worth checking your V5) - there doesn’t appear to be any correlation between the two weights at all, indeed the Citroen C4 Picasso varies by nearly 300kg on some versions!

check your V5, the figure will be in the mid 1600’s.

31 minutes ago, CommanderDave said:

None here are 2000 kg towing limit ?

http://www.towingcapacity.co.uk/car-make-model/peugeot/peugeot-3008/

Dave

The plate on the car supercedes any internet-based information.

• +1 1

I have a Peugeot 308SW with a 1.6 blue diesel and I have no problem towing so I'm surprised a 2 ltr is struggling, I do have a small single axle caravan but even so supervised.

I do not think I would even think of attempting 50 +mph on steep hills so I pass on that but motorway driving the outfit is stable and I achieve the max. of 60 mph with no problems.

As regards the numbers you quote I just not read mine. :-)

14 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

The plate on the car supercedes any internet-based information.

The OP States it was 1650 kg then updated to 2000 kg sounds very confusing ?

Dave

1 hour ago, aacaravans said:

Thanks for the replies. It is a newer 3008 (17 plate). Here is what the specs say:

Kerb Weight: 1500kg

GTW: 4050kg <- This is on the plate on the car

GVW: 2050kg <- This is on the plate on the car

Braked Trailer: 2000kg

Nose Weight: 80kg

Caravan is:

MRO: 1522kg

MTPLM: 1682kg

As noted by others, you need to look at the car mass in service on the registration V5C document but looking at the numbers you have given, it looks as if the caravan MTPLM is going to be a long way over 100% of the car mass in service and is therefore an unsuitable match. Have a check of your car insurance (or was it caravan insurance or car warranty ?) since some have mentioned before that they are not covered if towing over 100% of kerb weight.  I suspect you will need to replace the car or caravan.

7 minutes ago, Paul1957 said:

As noted by others, you need to look at the car mass in service on the registration V5C document but looking at the numbers you have given, it looks as if the caravan MTPLM is going to be a long way over 100% of the car mass in service and is therefore an unsuitable match. Have a check of your car insurance (or was it caravan insurance or car warranty ?) since some have mentioned before that they are not covered if towing over 100% of kerb weight.  I suspect you will need to replace the car or caravan.

Just checked the V5 and it states:

Mass in service: 1500kg

Max permissible mass: 2050kg

Technical permissible maximum towable mass of the trailer:

Braked: 2000kg

20 minutes ago, CommanderDave said:

The OP States it was 1650 kg then updated to 2000 kg sounds very confusing ?

Dave

The original owners manual stated 1650kg towing capacity and then a later revision stated 2000kg.

28 minutes ago, David 38 said:

I have a Peugeot 308SW with a 1.6 blue diesel and I have no problem towing so I'm surprised a 2 ltr is struggling, I do have a small single axle caravan but even so supervised.

I do not think I would even think of attempting 50 +mph on steep hills so I pass on that but motorway driving the outfit is stable and I achieve the max. of 60 mph with no problems.

As regards the numbers you quote I just not read mine. :-)

It never had any problems with our previous caravan but this was a single axle and had an MTPLM of 1500kg.

For stability, can you increase the noseweight or are you already at the limit?

• +1 1

Your caravan to car towing weight ratio (caravan MTPLM /car mass in service x 100) works out at 112% so is not recommended. Even if you did not put anything in the caravan it is 102% so would still not be recommended. Usually a caravan dealer would ask about the tow car when buying the caravan and would advise on suitability.

9 minutes ago, SteveMilner said:

For stability, can you increase the noseweight or are you already at the limit?

I will give that a try when I next get the caravan out. If I'm honest I didn't really pay much attention to the nose weight as I assumed it wasn't as important on a twin axle. I always got it to around 80kg on the previous single axle caravan and that towed perfectly.

3 minutes ago, Paul1957 said:

Your caravan to car towing weight ratio (caravan MTPLM /car mass in service x 100) works out at 112% so is not recommended. Even if you did not put anything in the caravan it is 102% so would still not be recommended. Usually a caravan dealer would ask about the tow car when buying the caravan and would advise on suitability.

I can see why it's not recommended! On our last outing I ensured all heavy items were put in the car boot and awning in roof box. This didn't really improve things much from when we collected it when empty but we made it there and back without any dramas.

Can I assume that while this combination isn't recommended it isn't illegal?

Edited by aacaravans

11 minutes ago, aacaravans said:

I will give that a try when I next get the caravan out. If I'm honest I didn't really pay much attention to the nose weight as I assumed it wasn't as important on a twin axle. I always got it to around 80kg on the previous single axle caravan and that towed perfectly.

I can see why it's not recommended! On our last outing I ensured all heavy items were put in the car boot and awning in roof box. This didn't really improve things much from when we collected it when empty but we made it there and back without any dramas.

Can I assume that while this combination isn't recommended it isn't illegal?

On those plated figures, I can't see anything illegal

• Like 1
  • +1 1

19 minutes ago, aacaravans said:

You might be in for quite a surprise when you check it. Different vans often need packing in different ways to obtain a specific noseweight.

Personally I always aim for the highest noseweight allowed - For me that's 100kg dictated by the hitch. It definitely has a positive impact on stability.

• Like 1
  • +1 1

That combination is an accident waiting to happen.

I would change one or the other before much longer.

Have a look at this website https://towcar.info/GB/index.php,  see what you think.

16 minutes ago, Dave Capiro owner said:

Have a look at this website https://towcar.info/GB/index.php,  see what you think.

That sites only lists a "3008 1.6 BlueHDi (88 kW/118 hp)". Mine is a  3008 2.0 BlueHDi (150 hp) so not much point carrying on.

Edit. I followed it through and made the adjustments to match my car and it came back:

Verdict

The Peugeot 3008 1.6 BlueHDi and the Bailey Unicorn Cartagena of a laden weight of 1682 kg is a combination just suitable for most journeys but also with some limitations.

Weight

There is a small chance of snaking at higher speeds, strong side winds and thoughtless driving. Even if the combination normally feels stable, the forces by deflection side to side are great at high speed. For drivers with knowledge of, and experience in driving a caravan it is safe to drive, but proper and careful loading is still important! An electronic stability system in the car and / or on the caravan is worth considering.

Flat roads

The performances of the engine of this outfit are in general good. Under all conditions on motorways it is possible to drive with 60 mph in the 5th gear. In that case the engine runs approximately 1900 rpm. Maybe the engine is not running smoothly at low revs so it is better to shiftdown to the 4th gear, the engine runs in that case 2400 rpm (witch is maybe more noisily than usually accustomed). In a headwind or for example on a crossover there is no need to downshift immediately.

Mountains

On most motorways inclines (1:20) it is barely possible to drive in the 4th gear with 50 mph up hill but maybe the engine is running better by somewhat more revs in the 3th gear). In the 3th gear the top speed is 62 mph (3504 rpm). Hill starts are possible even on steep slopes up to 18%, if the front wheels have sufficient traction. While driving the engine has enough power to drive on every normal road.

That is pretty accurate and describes what I experienced.

Edited by aacaravans

Verdict and weight comments are exactly the same as my match ( Mazda CX5 to single axis Capiro).

1500kg Kerbweight and 1685kg MTPLM.

I wouldn't let any of my family travel in that car.

You need to change the car for something heavier and I'd personally want a bit more power with a 1685kg twin axle.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, logiclee said:

1500kg Kerbweight and 1685kg MTPLM.

I wouldn't let any of my family travel in that car.

You need to change the car for something heavier and I'd personally want a bit more power with a 1685kg twin axle.

You're assuming the car would be empty with no passengers and the caravan filled to capacity? Obviously I would never put myself in that situation. 

17 minutes ago, aacaravans said:

You're assuming the car would be empty with no passengers and the caravan filled to capacity? Obviously I would never put myself in that situation. 

Experience shows that caravans are virtually always filled to capacity, or even overloaded.

41 minutes ago, aacaravans said:

Kerbweight is used for calculating the towing ratio because it's a published and accessible figure. If you started using actual car weight, it would be a guess. It's obvious that the car will have some load and this will reduce the ratio by around 10 to 20%. Those who recommend the ratios are going to be aware that a car will be loaded when towing but their recommended ratio is still based on an empty car and a full caravan.