Abbey vogue 470 2008 12v problem

Welsh Wayne

When towing my fridge is not working. It works ok on 240v. I have checked fuses, and all pin connections in the tow plug and socket.

Could it be a faulty habitation relay?

What is the location of this relay?

Firstly, was it working before? Then are both 12 volt supplies working up  to the fridge ( the control circuit AND the 12 volt that feeds the element)  there should be 2 x 12 volt feeds up to the fridge itself. Worth checking them first at that point ( with the car hooked up and the engine running ) as from reading many posts on this and other fora ( plural of forum?)  most faults seem NOT to be the element.

If you've got 2 12 volt feeds and if it's a Dometic then a common fault is the circuit board (on the 12 volt side), I've had this and so have others, there's a thread I think on this forum which tells you how to "fix" it by shorting out part of the 12 volt circuit with a car type fuse (a new board is over £100)  and I've attached a file to explain as well.

Cheers

Jim caravan fridge fault repair .doc

"keep your motor running"

caravan: Avondale Avocet ( 2006) - tow car: Renault Laguna (2007) - play car: Mercedes 300SL (1988)

Habitation relay will not stop fridge from working as has no connection to it. You need to remove lower outside grill and locate connector. With engine running check voltage to fridge. If volts are 13 v or higher the fault will either be the circuit board or the 12 v element.

2023 Swift Archway Woodford,   MK3Kuga  ST  Line X  2.0  Ecoblue. 190 ps  AWD Auto.

51 years caravanning. 

First thing to do is check that there is a supply reaching the caravan when the tow cars engine is running. 

Connect up to the car with the engine off,  Turn ON the caravan master switch, switch the awning light on. Then start the car up, the awning light should go out after a few seconds. 

That will show there is a (higher than 12v) supply to the caravan when the engine is running and the correct relay is functioning. If the light goes out then the problem is within the caravan (probably fridge) if it doesn’t go out then either the connection isn’t wired correctly/damaged  or the relay is duff.

What might be worth trying first of all is to disconnect the 12v feed to the fridge (not the fuse, take the cable connection apart) leave it for a minute and reconnect. That MIGHT do the trick. It’s a way of “rebooting” the PCB,, a bit like ‘Ctrl, alt, Del” on a computer! It’s worked for me before now and a quick and easy thing to try. Remove the lower external vent to find the wiring. 

Andy

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

11 hours ago, Stevan said:

Having checked the supply, the most likely fault is a blown element in the fridge itself.

As said check the supply and has it worked before as it is possible the towbar is not fully wired for the fridge ?

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

2 minutes ago, CommanderDave said:

As said check the supply and has it worked before as it is possible the towbar is not fully wired for the fridge ?

If the supply is there, to the correct pin at the correct time then the towbar must be fully wired.

• Guest pinned this topic
  • 10 months later...

Sometimes modern cars only supply enough volts to the fridge when revved up and driving along - sometimes at idle it cuts power to the fridge in my experience- this can mess up the 12 v supply to the ALKO ATC - giving error codes - red light also. Had this on many cars and caravans - got used to it now - eg my new Volvo genuine towbar from dealer - will only engage ATC when I open door to get in car (then it stays on)  ? ?

Edited by djadria

• 1 year later...

I have fitted both a solar panel and a Car charging relay and hoped that when we had surplus power from either place,  we could run the fridge.

But as soon as i connect the fridge wiring .....Wham !  All the 12 volt in our 2007 Bailey caravan goes down.

How to solve this?

Dave

Do you have a solar controller for the solar panel?

In my non caravan experience of solar power, a panel cam produce up to 22V and the controller can deal with this. But without a controller maybe your 'system ' doesn't like to see such a high voltage. 

Locked as this a duplicate post. 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

2 hours ago, Dave from NZ said:

I have fitted both a solar panel and a Car charging relay and hoped that when we had surplus power from either place,  we could run the fridge.

But as soon as i connect the fridge wiring .....Wham !  All the 12 volt in our 2007 Bailey caravan goes down.

How to solve this?

Dave

It’s probably a back feed causing the habitation relay to energise 

For the record, not all fridges need a 12V supply for the control system - generally those that do are the ones with an LCD.  Our last two vans (Pajeant Majestic S5 and Pegasus 462) had under surface fridges neither of which had a LCD or 12V feed to make them work and for that matter didn't have a light inside either. Our current Unicorn S4 Seville has a Dometec tall fridge which needs 12V for the interior light, nothing else AFAICT. If mains is on that will power the light also.

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville

26 minutes ago, Woodentop said:

For the record, not all fridges need a 12V supply for the control system - generally those that do are the ones with an LCD.  Our last two vans (Pajeant Majestic S5 and Pegasus 462) had under surface fridges neither of which had a LCD or 12V feed to make them work and for that matter didn't have a light inside either. Our current Unicorn S4 Seville has a Dometec tall fridge which needs 12V for the interior light, nothing else AFAICT. If mains is on that will power the light also.

Sorry but you are wrong. Just what do you think powers the control system if it’s not a 12v supply?

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

Older fridges didn't need a 12V control/display supply because they didn't operate the same way and mostly didn't have an interior light. When you turned on the gas option there was no electrical display at all and the electric indicators were usually a red and a green lit switch, one for 12V and one for 240V. With the advent of digital displays and interior lights fridges had to have a power source to run those items, even when running on gas and with no mains power source. Hence the controls and lights became 12V powered via the battery. 

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

Oddly enough our fridge in The Bailey Senator must have a seperate 12 volt feed which lights the controls and sparks the ignition switch.

This is seperate to the main fuse 15amp for the Alternator feed.

Seems i have to install a Voltage Sensing Relay to the Battery charger/Alternator feed in the van, then disconnect the backfeed from the fridge to the 12 volt habitation relay.

• Martin unpinned this topic