Sign in to follow this  
Charliefarlie

Caravan values information?.

Hi all. 

Is there a page or website where we can get the market values of our caravans ? 

Insuring our van threw up the question of value. Our van is 9 years old so insuring new for old is not possible. So we had to suggest a value but it seems that “ Market” value is what would be paid out if a full value claim were made.

In other words we have no idea what value we are insuring for.

Thanks 

No, but try eBay, Gumtree or Autotrader. For eBay use Completed Listings to show actual values achieved.

• Thanks 1

We are insured through the Camping and Caravanning Club and their insurer will tell you its market value so they must have a Glasses type guide. Their insurance also does new for old up to 10 years.

As a very rough guide though, market values seem to drop by about £1000 a year so for a 9 year old caravan it might be about £9000 less than you paid for it. A better way is to look at caravan dealers websites to see what they are selling them for since this is what you would have to pay for a replacement.

When guestimating the value it is best to value it higher because the value doesn't influence the premium by much.

I would always go up at least £1K pus the value of any excess, so that you know you will be covered. 

Edited by Ern

35 minutes ago, Paul1957 said:

A better way is to look at caravan dealers websites to see what they are selling them for since this is what you would have to pay for a replacement.

When a caravan is written off, if comprehensive insured the insurance should put the insured back to the same position as they were had the incident not happened.

Insurers will always try to minimise their liability (exposure to Cost), so will offer a lesser amount in the hope that the insured will accept it, in reality to put the insured back where they were they should be offering a settlement amount that enables them to buy a caravan of a similar age in a similar condition.

The best place to find a caravan that meets that brief is the dealer forecourts. 

9 minutes ago, Ern said:

When guestimating the value it is best to value it higher because the value doesn't influence the premium by much.

I would always go up at least £1K pus the value of any excess, so that you know you will be covered. 

It matters not what value you place on the caravan, the insurers don’t pay out for the insured amount, they pay out market value based on industry published guides such as Glasses & CAP.

38 minutes ago, Grandpa Steve said:

It matters not what value you place on the caravan, the insurers don’t pay out for the insured amount, they pay out market value based on industry published guides such as Glasses & CAP.

If the market value is above the insured value, they'll only pay out the insured value.

My Insurance company gave me an insured value ( higher than I thought !) and guaranteed to honor it  if theft or complete write off.  (Cover4Caravans) They also were the best quoted price so no argument :)

Jim 

5 hours ago, Grandpa Steve said:

It matters all right! They wont even pay out the market value if you have under valued it. That is why I advised to err' on the upper side plus a bit, because it doesn't actually add much to the premium. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the answers.... It seems then the value we suggest is partly what the companies go on .... I did add a little as most likely would in the expectation if something went wrong the insurance would deduct anyway. 

If you try the Caravan and Motorhome club for a quote on the phone, they told me the current value or replacement value, as my model had been discontinued and they looked up the nearest equivalent model 

Sign in to follow this