Sign in to follow this  
Harfield

Can anyone please help

hi. Can anyone please help.   I have just brought a brand-new Swift Alpine 2 .  When I say brought I haven’t actually got it yet as on the day of delivery it had an electrical fault I paid for this a week before picking it up although it’s now on the third week and I still don’t have the goods  .  Can I demand a new replacement caravan Can I demand a new replacement caravan

Welcome to the forum and out of interest, why did you pay before collection?

Because they said we had to pay for it and it be in their bank before collection

Next time pay by chip and pin when you collect the van.

It would seem to me you could reject the caravan as thirty days have not passed, and request your money back.

No doubt a legal expert will be along soon to advise.

31 minutes ago, Harfield said:

hi. Can anyone please help.   I have just brought a brand-new Swift Alpine 2 .  When I say brought I haven’t actually got it yet as on the day of delivery it had an electrical fault I paid for this a week before picking it up although it’s now on the third week and I still don’t have the goods  .  Can I demand a new replacement caravan Can I demand a new replacement caravan

The CRA gives you a legal right to reject, but that's as far as it goes. You could walk away with your money back in your pocket, but then you would not have your new van.

A new replacement van might be a problem for the dealer unless he happens to have one in stock, you could always ask!

I am not sure what advantage there would be of  a replacement over a proper fix.

12 minutes ago, Harfield said:

Because they said we had to pay for it and it be in their bank before collection

For the future, you can do this with a card on the day, after you have inspected the van and accepted it.

1 hour ago, Harfield said:

You cannot just reject it and claim a refund under consumer law. There are criteria which must be met. A lot more information is needed. Why don't you have the goods? What is the electrical fault? Is the delay because you agreed to have the fault repaired? Why, after 3 weeks are you still waiting? Spare parts? Uncooperative dealer? Waiting for a warranty claim approval?

What exactly are the details?

• Thanks 1

On 07/09/2019 at 16:27, WispMan said:

For the future, you can do this with a card on the day, after you have inspected the van and accepted it.

Wouldn't it depend on the cards limit? Or are you referring to a bank card with funds ready and waiting in the account? 

When we picked up our new caravan they wanted a small deposit upfront and insisted we didn't pay the balance until the day of collection, I think this was for insurance purposes. I then paid the full amount (less deposit) £22k on a debit card without any problems. They gave us 2 nights free stay on site to make sure everything was fine before we left with our new van.

6 minutes ago, LeadFarmer said:

Wouldn't it depend on the cards limit? Or are you referring to a bank card with funds ready and waiting in the account? 

Either will do so you pay after you have seen the van.

41 minutes ago, aacaravans said:

I then paid the full amount (less deposit) £22k on a debit card without any problems. 

Was that a chip & pin transaction?

1 minute ago, LeadFarmer said:

Was that a chip & pin transaction?

Yes.

I brought a new car and the Dealer required the money be paid the day before and in their bank?  As delivery day was a Monday I had to put it in on the Friday. They said that was it ?

In the first 30 days you have the right to reject goods that are not of satisfactory quality.  Given your description, then a caravan that you can not use from day one is evidently not of satisfactory quality.  Give the dealer written notification a.s.a.p that you are rejecting the van and want a refund.

Look here.  http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2015/15/part/1/chapter/2/crossheading/what-statutory-rights-are-there-under-a-goods-contract/enacted

If they are like most dealers they will do every thing in their power to prevent this.  Many seem to think the law does not apply to them.  it does.  If you then choose to take delivery of the repaired van, then make sure you have read and know your rights.  After 30 days it is a lot more difficult, though not impossible to get satisfaction.  Time is of the essence in these matters.

• Confused 1

On 07/09/2019 at 17:30, Legal Eagle said:

You cannot just reject it and claim a refund under consumer law. 

1 hour ago, Alan Stanley said:

In the first 30 days you have the right to reject goods that are not of satisfactory quality.  

The joys of forums!!

If your new caravan was £30k can you chip & pin this amount on a debit card? Do debit cards have limits? I would expect the bank to block that amount suspecting it to be suspicious activity.

On 07/09/2019 at 17:30, Legal Eagle said:

You cannot just reject it and claim a refund under consumer law. 

1 hour ago, Alan Stanley said:

In the first 30 days you have the right to reject goods that are not of satisfactory quality.  

24 minutes ago, WispMan said:

The joys of forums!!

I think if you read the complete answers each gave they concur.

Legal said: "There are criteria which must be met...............................!"

Alan said: "Given your description.................................!"

The danger is taking parts of posts, and presuming those sections stand alone without qualification! 

However I certainly see the "amusing" side as you point out. 

44 minutes ago, LeadFarmer said:

If your new caravan was £30k can you chip & pin this amount on a debit card? Do debit cards have limits? I would expect the bank to block that amount suspecting it to be suspicious activity.

I don't think so, in the past few years I've bought a new car and a new caravan using a debit card. The car was £25k and the caravan £22k, on both occasions it just went through.

I think if you went to Currys and spent £25k on a debit card there might be some questions asked. They must expect large transactions from certain retailers.

Edited by aacaravans
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, James Donald said:

I brought a new car and the Dealer required the money be paid the day before and in their bank?  As delivery day was a Monday I had to put it in on the Friday. They said that was it ?

Quite a few car, and caravan dealers, try that on - just tell them you can't comply so need to cancel!

1 hour ago, LeadFarmer said:

I tried warning my bank that I was buying a £20,000 car, they weren't interest in branch - as long as the transaction is within your limits, they seem to go just fine.

2 hours ago, WispMan said:

The joys of forums!!

Indeed. Without knowing exactly what the problem is no one can say the quality is unsatisfactory. The barrack room lawyer is likely to live forever!

Edited by Legal Eagle

1 hour ago, LeadFarmer said:

Purchased my caravan paying by chip&pin on collection day, I did however tell the bank about the transaction a fee days in advance.

1 hour ago, aacaravans said:

I don't think so, in the past few years I've bought a new car and a new caravan using a debit card. The car was £25k and the caravan £22k, on both occasions it just went through.

I think if you went to Currys and spent £25k on a debit card there might be some questions asked. They must expect large transactions from certain retailers.

Thanks, I'll do the same, picking my new van up at end of the month.