stevew1

The last ‘ Lawns show ‘

It looks like this years Lawns show is the last one , it is moving venues to Harrogate from next year . 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-49593136

I’ve been to the Lawns a couple of times & it is a doddle to get to  ( for me , Sth York’s ) & a very nice place , don’t know about Harrogate . The East coast manufacturers must be a bit annoyed , it’s a bit further for them to move their products .

The show ground is a good venue though access can choke up. It will make it a bit more accessible for everyone else. 

They had no option but to move as Hull University has sold off The Lawns for development. 

The good news is that the Great Yorkshire Showground is a good venue with easy access off the A1, plus the show is set to be about three times bigger than The Lawns event with more manufacturers being present, including UK motorhomes. It won't be HERCMA as such, but promises to be a good event, and worthy successor.

I’ve been past the Harrogate Showground a few times but never when there has been an event on , it does look like traffic could be a problem there , we do hear horrendous traffic news items locally when the Harrogate show is on , but that is a far bigger event lasting a week..

1 hour ago, stevew1 said:

It looks like this years Lawns show is the last one , it is moving venues to Harrogate from next year

That is really sad, as The Lawns is an ideal location to see caravans in their "natural habitat" (ie outside) and not in an artificially illuminated hall. It is a show that I always look forward to visiting.

58 minutes ago, nigel207 said:

They had no option but to move as Hull University has sold off The Lawns for development. 

That too is sad that the university feels obliged to sell off such a lovely area of green that could  be enjoyed by the students when there was not a caravan show.

58 minutes ago, stevew1 said:

I’ve been past the Harrogate Showground a few times but never when there has been an event on , it does look like traffic could be a problem there, we do hear horrendous traffic news items locally

I fear that congestion may be just one problem as many of the caravans on show will have to be transported further to be displayed. The additional cost of this may well concentrate the manufacturer's minds over which units (and how many) to display. I'm not so sure that I want to visit another show that is likely to be the same or very similar to others run on regional showgrounds.

Gordon.

• +1 2

Hull may have been convenient for manufacturers but not a sensible location to attract potential customers - nothing wrong with Hull, apart from where it is!

Just come back from The Lawns event. 2 hours to get there. Deranged car parking system; first arrivals park the furthest from the entrance. Awash with statics and only a limited choice of tourers. Swift Group, Coachman and Erwin Hymer the main contenders. Lunar Automotive couldn't be found even though I thought I had reliable information that they would be there. Some bargains to be had at the accessory shop e.g. Al-Ko branded 60W solar panel and controller kit £99.

It wasn't much of a struggle to avoid buying anything although a very professional guy from Wandahome did his best.

Interestingly for all you jockey-wheel-down-when-pitched enthusiasts I didn't see more that 2 jockey wheels down and some of those dozens of caravans were full of fairly chunky individuals and nothing seemed to break.

Had a couple of hours at the Lawns exhibition today. As already noted there were many statics, I did not bother with them but at one point got trapped in the large ABI static area and had to ask the way out. I went to see what tourers were available that are lighter than the one we have (MTPLM 1500 kg) since at some point I will replace our car and would like something like a Passat or Mondeo. The Elddis Xplore models would be ok but the one I did like was the Elddis Affinity with fixed twin beds but it weighs the same as our existing caravan. Many of the other caravans on show were heavier than ours. Pity there were only a few manufacturers there. I did notice the front gas lockers seem to be getting smaller with barely enough room for the gas, never mind other bits like water containers and ramps.

Ease of getting to the Lawns obviously depends on where you live and for me was easy to get to, 1 hour from Lincoln. The field I parked in was next to a rear entrance so not far to walk, arriving just after 11 am. As for the halls of residence at the Lawns, our daughter went there and they were badly dated 12 years ago needing knocking down and replacing.

Edited by Paul1957

Something else I noticed on the latest caravans, the wash basins on many are tiny, not much larger than a cornflakes bowl. Maybe you are meant to use the kitchen sink to get washed.

7 hours ago, Paul1957 said:

Something else I noticed on the latest caravans, the wash basins on many are tiny, not much larger than a cornflakes bowl. Maybe you are meant to use the kitchen sink to get washed.

Kitchen sink is only option in some vans with crazy low & tight positioning in corridor style rear ends of some layouts - check them out with a dry run use first at shows or dealers.

Also visited Lawns yesterday, was pleasant, cheap entry @ £5 & quite interesting, ditto on parking but a short level wander.

Suggest to get in training for 2020 @ Harrogate as a long assent up the hill awaits for unlucky ones (busy St John's tent is usually at top). Also await Harrogate 2020 ticket price super inflation news.  

NB Plenty of un-tidy badly finished sealant joints on display yesterday.

Harrogate 2020 all change - wonder if Bailey & some others will appear or will some avoid if 6 weeks prior to NEC  ?

18 hours ago, Black Grouse said:

- nothing wrong with Hull, apart from where it is!

Imagine what it was like before the advent of the M62 !         :D

John.

43 minutes ago, Leedslad said:

Imagine what it was like before the advent of the M62 !         :D

John.

And before the bridge to nowhere!

1 hour ago, Black Grouse said:

Wouldn't call Barton upon Humber , ‘ nowhere ‘  ,it’s a nice little town ,  or did you mean  Sunny Scunny , or GRIMsby  perhaps 😎😎

2 hours ago, Black Grouse said:

You obviously weren't around in Hull and parts of the East Riding before the Humber bridge was built. 

John.

1 hour ago, John19 said:

You obviously weren't around in Hull and parts of the East Riding before the Humber bridge was built. 

John.

The Humber Bridge was built by a Labour government driven by political motives to increase vote share in that area - just like the Humberside county, it was a white elephant for no real strategic purpose.

White elephant or not, without the Humber bridge it is a long way round and every time I have used it it has been well used by many other vehicles.

• Like 2
  • +1 1

We had a pootle round The Lawns on Saturday, living in that place that no-one seems to like at the end of the M62 and north of the bridge to no-where!    I will miss the show as I agree with Gordon about vans in the natural habitat.  Over the last  few years the focus has been more on holiday homes/statics/lodges rather than tourers.  The accessory shop has always been rubbish, dominated by Leisureworld.   

Caravanwise - didn’t see anything which stood out for us in the tourers, although the quality of the Coachman upholstery is much superior than the Swift rubbish we have currently.  

Not sure we will go to Harrogate; the ticket price will increase, they will probably charge parking and the traffic will be terrible as the queues on a normal Saturday there are already bad. 

With regard to the university selling off The Lawns, they have invested in moden self-contained accommodation on campus as this what students want, rather than catered halls 3 miles away.   Added to this, some of the buildings at The Lawns are listed so building new may be problematic, not to mention the University of Hull has serious money problems at the moment  and the upkeep of such extensive grounds and property is crippling to their already stretched finances.  

Edited by Cherokee2015

Yes Harrogate is a joy to drive through at any time, not!

19 hours ago, John19 said:

John.

I was and agree!

Harrogate,been to lots of events there...great site.

Handy for me but doubt I will still be caravanning by this time next year.

geoff