Sign in to follow this  
Woody2332

Fitting a shower from scratch

So bought a caravan, long story to reasons why, but now planning to go travelling for a bit, fishing in various places, so wanted to toe the caravan along for a bit of luxury, so what I want to know is whats the easiest way to fit a shower, obviously electric isn't going to be the answer, so I'm guessing it's gas? What's the easiest solution to a shower, keeping it light as possible, what are ppl using for the walls of the shower and what units 

I don't know of any member who has fitted a shower when one is not fitted. The hot and cold water feeds should just be teed off from the existing supplies to the taps. So mains 240V or gas.

What will you be taking out to replace with a shower?

Back in the '80s, it was normal for the posh models in a range to get a shower but not the entry-level - generally they all used the same washroom so it's just a matter of fitting the shower tray and either lining the walls to make them waterproof or using a shower curtain - hot water can be supplied by a Truma or Whale heater.

O'Leary Motorhomes https://www.olearymotorhomes.co.uk/ is a good source of components for conversions.

2 hours ago, Woody2332 said:

What's the easiest solution to a shower, keeping it light as possible,

Do you have hot water already in the van?

Well I will be ripping all the inside out, it's been badly done, a wardrobe and a bed gas stove and a gas fridge, so where the wardrobe is the shower is going, as I guess it's best to keep all the Wight in the middle 

33 minutes ago, Woody2332 said:

Well I will be ripping all the inside out, it's been badly done, a wardrobe and a bed gas stove and a gas fridge, so where the wardrobe is the shower is going, as I guess it's best to keep all the Wight in the middle 

I would go careful if I were you.   Ripping out all the furniture may not be the best of ideas.   The furniture gives bracing to the structure.   Also, unless the gas system is being completely removed, the stove and fridge supply pipes require proper capping.

Do you already have a hot supply of water?

Edited by Jaydug

On 06/09/2019 at 18:47, Black Grouse said:

O'Leary Motorhomes https://www.olearymotorhomes.co.uk/ is a good source of components for conversions.

Because it's an older van I couldn't justify £300 on a pattern original Bailey replacement shower tray and I couldn't even justify the cost of an in-situ Speedcoat type repair. All these little renovation costs have been adding up to near the value of the van. O'learys to the rescue!

I purchased a cut n trim universal tray from them for £50 and was very surprised by the quality and thickness of the moulded plastic. Seems very tough and looks good.

I made a supporting frame for the tray and had to move the outlet hole using a trolley jack and piece of wood (with 50mm aluminium tape to seal) to provide a surface to work against on the underside. I cut a circle of ply using a hole saw and cut some loft insulation to go on top of that. The layers were glued in place using Gorilla glue and a heavy weight was placed on top to prevent uplift until it had all gone off.

The tray was held in place on the frame using CT1 adhesive sealant. For perfect silicon beads I used a cheap tool from Screwfix. Wish I'd known about and purchased one of these years ago!

I'm thinking about waterproofing the walls to eliminate the shower curtain and create a wetroom using 2mm sheet material from these guys:

https://plasticsheetsshop.co.uk

Next job is to fit a frosted window where nothing exists at present though.

P.S. Also check out the cheap universal trays from:

https://www.grasshopperleisure.co.uk/shower-trays--bath-91-c.asp

BaileyHunterShowerTray.jpg

OlearyCutnTrimTray.jpg

TraySupportFrame.jpg

ScrewfixPerfectBeadTool.jpg

UndersideRepair.jpg

OutletTo32mmPoly.jpg

Edited by limecc