Hi All,

It's been a while!!

After caravaning in France since 1985 and promising ourselves we will one day do the D-Day Beaches for the last 20 years.. we've finally decided to bite the bullet!!

We are planning to be outbound the last week of April or the first week of May 2020.

We've been told that Arromanches is a good base for what we plan to be a week in the area.

We've driven past the church at St Mere Eglise numerous times... but we're looking for recommendations for Campsites in the area near Arromanches.

Thanks in anticipation.

G.

Edited by chapmag
Smelling Pistakes!!

Not all that far from Arromanches and walkable  distance from Pegasus Bridge is Camping Cappuccines at Ranville. No bells and whistles but a nice little site.

We’ve done the landing beaches on numerous occasions and I guess it depends on what you want; Arromanches is a superb base but I’ve used neither of the sites there although they are basic in terms of facilities - we were fortunate enough to find Camping Port’land in Port-En-Bessin last year, it’s a spectacular location, impeccable site and has a good selection of facilities; it can be booked via the Caravan Club too.

We will be back here for our few days on the way back next August.

I would stay in Bayeux which is an interesting and lively place and the municipal site is perfectly good,  whereas in April / May the coast and the coastal sites will be pretty deserted and forlorn.

9 hours ago, chapmag said:

Hi All,

It's been a while!!

Hi Graham, no help with the Normandy beaches, just a social post.

I was looking through a classic car magazine the other day and a picture of a classic white Mini made me wonder if you were still around, so good to see your post and that you are still using a caravan.

John.

We regularly  visit the D Day beaches. Usually stay at camping les Cormorans at Ravenoville Plage near Cherbourg. 

Stayed here.  Absolutely brilliant site and can reach every thing to do with the D-Day beaches.  Its on the outskirts of Bayeaux, so can also include a trip to see the tapestry as well

https://www.camping-castels.co.uk/campsite/martragny

We went a few years ago and stayed here http://www.camping-asnelles.com/.  I would call it cheap and cheerful however the central location is good for visiting the beaches.     We visited all the beaches from this site using it as a base.   There are a couple a restaurants nearby in walking distance and also a supermarket and bakery for morning bread.  

We also ate out in Arromanche a few nights which has a bigger range of restaurants, but on the whole was happy with the site and the location.   One of our best holidays in France. 

On 06/09/2019 at 09:47, John19 said:

Hi Graham, no help with the Normandy beaches, just a social post.

I was looking through a classic car magazine the other day and a picture of a classic white Mini made me wonder if you were still around, so good to see your post and that you are still using a caravan.

John.

Hi John,

I hope you are keeping well and healthy?

The mini (Austin Mini Se7en August 1960) is still a rolling shell.. though I have had the original engine and replacement Synchro gearbox rebuilt!

We moved house from our original 5 bedroom, 2 bathroom family home... 10 to 15 years after the kids moved out... to our forever 2 bed bungalow in May 2018.

Just putting the finishing touches to a 60 sq mtr extension (2/3rds the size of the original bungalow).

So now looking ahead to more time on the mini and for caravaning!!!!

Stay well,

G.

recomend Camping Robinson in Colleville sur Mer. In walking distance of Omaha Beach

One tip if viiting Omaha beach, take the road from Colleville sur Mer signposted the Beach. This will take you to a part of Omaha Beach which is still very much the way it was in 1944.

I know the French can be funny about having dogs on beaches, does anyone know how strict they are in this area please? I’d very much like to visit, but it’ll be vetoed by Kay if we can’t have the mutts with us. 

Iain, if she types Dog Friendly Beaches  Normandy she will get the official answer for whichever part of Normandy you are going to, with times and dates - not that the locals will have bothered to study it !