Sign in to follow this  
mcbrucer

Advice needed: Best way to sell your van privately...

Hello everyone,

After a lot of family debate, we've decided its time to sell our van.  As we won't be buying another one, trading it in to a dealer isn't really an option. We'd like to get as fair an amount  back out of it as is reasonably possible rather than take a big hit as I suspect you would at a dealer (unless you're buying something new!)

Trouble is, I've no idea where to begin. Does anyone have any experience of valuing and selling a van privately that they'd be happy to share?

I've tried looking for the same year / model of van on ebay etc but havent found any matches yet.

Many thanks!

There are plenty of web sites that encourage you to put in your caravan details if you want to sell it. I just googled 'sell my caravan'. We decided we would sell our 19-year-old van to a dealer for cash so there was no comeback, and we have been through the exercise last month. We have had a lot of use out of the thing and we were mentally prepared for being offered scrap value for it. I filled in 6 online forms; 3 didn't reply, one replied that our caravan was of no interest and two said that they would come and value the caravan. We struck a deal with one and told the other the van was sold. The caravan was hitched up to the buyer's pickup within minutes of handing the cash over and on his sales web site that afternoon. Given that we desperately needed the space for builders to operate in, and wanted to be cash buyers for our next caravan, everyone ended up happy.

Good luck!

Edited by hawkaye
  • Like 1

I was in your position 6 months ago and decided to use eBay and FB Sell & Seek. FB was a complete waste of time with chancers offering prices at least a 1/3 off the Classified price. Don't use the auction fir a caravan, use Classified.

I had already researched prices for the same van and decided on a price acceptable to me.

Ebay allows me 12 photos free and plenty of description. I had loads of interest with maybe 60% serious and 40% derisory offers. Finally sold in 4 days, collected by buyer and he paid in cash. But I am an eBay experienced seller with in excess of £100k sales, a 2,200 feedback so I know how to deal with tyre kickers. 

Just sold my car on auction 2 weeks ago.

• Like 1

Freeadds, worked for me. Sell between Easter and Spring Bank. 

Fortyfoot 

We tried with all the free ads you can use and just got a load of time wasters who wanted something for nothing. Eventually we paid £26 [four years ago] to advertise on Caravanfinder which, had we needed it, would have given us an advert for a whole year. We sold at near the asking price within a week.