Sign in to follow this  
AlanNancy

Camping St Louis, Autingues Pas de Calais

We will be travelling via the Chunnel to Calais arriving at Calais about 18.30 French time. I was thinking of staying the first night at Camping St Louis because it is only about half an hour from the terminal.

Has anyone used this campsite? Or is there another that you could recommend?

Alan

We've stopped at Chateau du Gandspette and La Bien Assise , Gandspette was the better of the two.

• I agree completely 1

Alan, Camping St Louis is very good - if you need confirmation please read the recent reviews on the ACSI Camping Card website.

I think you should phone the ladies at the campsite to say you are coming and give them your best estimate of arrival time. 

Edited by moorgate

Camping St. Louis is a great stopover site or even for a longer stay and very helpful site owners, as Moorgate said give them a call or send them a email for any instructions they are very helpful ifyou are a late arrival or early departure . 

Edited by weekender

We stayed there going down and coming home last year. It's a nice clean and quiet site, although there was a party for all the static owners when we there that shut the restaurant early and was noisy until about 12. They did warn us when we arrived but its a bit late then. They take the usual 2 hour lunch and reception is closed . There is nowhere to wait if you arrive early, we had to go into the car park and then reverse back out into the roadway by reception. After trying it and le bein assise  we prefer Chateau  du gandspette out of the three .

• Like 1

14 hours ago, frazerg said:

We stayed there going down and coming home last year. It's a nice clean and quiet site, although there was a party for all the static owners when we there that shut the restaurant early and was noisy until about 12. They did warn us when we arrived but its a bit late then. They take the usual 2 hour lunch and reception is closed . There is nowhere to wait if you arrive early, we had to go into the car park and then reverse back out into the roadway by reception. After trying it and le bein assise  we prefer Chateau  du gandspette out of the three .

I think you may contradicted yourself as you can wait in the car park or on the grass to the left of the entrance .
  Check in is unmanned at lunch time as a lot of small sites in France although one of the owners has come out and booked me in when I arrived at lunch time.
  Not saying this site is better or worse than any others just adding a bit more information .

You would have to be a magician to go to left or right at the entrance and not have to reverse back into the entrance.

Screenshot (1).png

Depending on your onward route, a good overnight stop is to be found  at Camping  Escale, off the A16 at junction at junction 34, traveling toward Boulogne.

We use this regularly, as you can get a meal and drinks at the bar, with good clean facilities. It is less than a mile from the motorway.

On 05/09/2019 at 15:40, Dave Capiro owner said:

We've stopped at Chateau du Gandspette

We always stay here for a couple of days  before returning home, there is a great vet,  for the dogs worming, in the town and the old town of  Boulogne is nearby and always  worth a visit, and after a long run up through France it's great to have a couple of days without a lot of traveling. 

Not used St Louis for a few years but nice site

20 hours ago, frazerg said:

You would have to be a magician to go to left or right at the entrance and not have to reverse back into the entrance.

Screenshot (1).png

I'm not part of the magic circle but room to reverse into either parking  area if you pull up to the barrier. Having said that my van is only 7.4mtr long maybe magic would help with a very large outfit.
 Also the grass area is offered if you have very late/early departure as you can leave connected  for a easy getaway.

It's a good site and really convenient for the tunnel