Sign in to follow this  
jjohnd

Connecting car to caravan.

Connecting and disconnecting the car to the caravan (in my case) can be awkward due to the connection socket being almost under the car. Faffing about with it can be frustrating at the best of times, (even more so when it is raining). Is any body aware of a solution to this problem please? Some form of an extension possibly?

Often the socket is deliberately put in as difficult a location as possible in the name of improving its appearance when not in use. This is particularly the case for detachable or folding hitches.

Flange type fixed towballs are often the most accessible.

A short extension could be made up and secured nearer the ball in some cases, particularly fixed swan necks, but it would not look pretty. It may also interfere with the car's electrics, mine expects caravan/trailer lighting to be present if anything is put in the 13 pin socket.

Edited by Stevan

We have to pull ours down however I use a hard foam knee pad which really helps making the task easier.

• Like 1
  • I agree completely 1

23 minutes ago, jjohnd said:

Connecting and disconnecting the car to the caravan (in my case) can be awkward due to the connection socket being almost under the car. Faffing about with it can be frustrating at the best of times, (even more so when it is raining). Is any body aware of a solution to this problem please? Some form of an extension possibly?

I use a garden kneeler to help with awkward access like that and lining up the alko wheel lock. 

• I agree completely 2

1 hour ago, rovinmad said:

I use a garden kneeler to help with awkward access like that and lining up the alko wheel lock. 

+1  - Stowed in the boot, taking little space and easily accessible.

As said some sockets are on a bigger bracket that swings down making easier to see and reach .

Dave

We had to when we had the Peugeot 508.  It was a real pain in the neck.  Used a normal garden kneeling mat, but as someone said above, its a real pain when its raining.  So we had a brilliant solution, we changed the car:lol:

• I agree completely 1

8 hours ago, rovinmad said:

We have very little storage space in both car and folding caravan so use a foam kneeling mat; and if it's Noah's Ark weather, and old rubber car mat to minimise the water absorption and mini flood possibility. The car mat also doubles up as a door mat at the foot of the caravan step, and as a protector to stop the caravan step scratching any of the furniture when the caravan is folded down for towing.

Steve

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, marchie1053 said:

We have very little storage space in both car and folding caravan so use a foam kneeling mat; and if it's Noah's Ark weather, and old rubber car mat to minimise the water absorption and mini flood possibility. The car mat also doubles up as a door mat at the foot of the caravan step, and as a protector to stop the caravan step scratching any of the furniture when the caravan is folded down for towing.

Steve

I do use a foam pad, but without the kneeler I can't get up again!

I'd never considered this until now but it appears that poor towcar/towbar design is the root cause. I therefore would go along with Babstreefern's suggestion above, and seek a towcar/towbar combination  that provides a practical location for the electrical towing connection.

Gordon.

14 minutes ago, Gordon said:

I'd never considered this until now but it appears that poor towcar/towbar design is the root cause. 

Not so much "poor design" as deliberately favouring appearance over practicality.

First time that's ever happened!

Thanks for the reply guys. The general consensus (big word for this time of the morning) is a kneeling pad which I will obtain.

12 hours ago, rovinmad said:

I do use a foam pad, but without the kneeler I can't get up again!

That's where the caravan step comes in! Lean forward in the kneeling position, hands on both sides of the plastic steps and push up [and hope!]. The pressure on space and weight means that quite a few bits of kit have to double/treble up in function, and I've become quite adept at managing with just the one 'footprint' space instead of the recommended two when exiting the Gobur on packdown. Just involves 'reversing' out of the van, stepping over the prone wardrobe and landing in the footprint zone, guided by Mrs Marchie's 'left leg down a bit' ... Good job I've had 2 hip replacements :D. Provides entertainment for caravanners with a more sane/spacious layout ...

Steve

5 hours ago, Stevan said:

Not so much "poor design" as deliberately favouring appearance over practicality.

First time that's ever happened!

I couldn't possibly comment . . . ;)

The only reason we had to have a detachable towbar on the Peugeot was because of the place the number plate is.  A normal towbar would partially obscure it, making it illegal.  So when looking at tow cars in general, first look to see where the rear number plate is located

Sign in to follow this