Access to steadies

The rear steadies on my new caravan seem much more recessed and further under the van than my previous caravan, meaning I have to bend down much further to see the 'nut thing'  to put my drill bit onto. If I don't want to bend down I have to fish around until I can feel the drill bit locate. On days when my back is bad, it could be a struggle, but Im sure I will cope.

It would be nice to get a length of steel bar welded to the nut to extend it slightly further out so its more visible and easier to reach. Anyone ever made any adaptions like this to their steadies?

Edited by Guest

I have seen people who have attached a length of plastic pipe to the underside of the van so there is nowhere else for the drill adapter to but onto the steady.

I keep meaning to paint the hexagon white to help find it but always forget.....

Ian.
2013 Freelander 2 SD4 Auto / 2005 Bailey Pageant Vendée; 1952 Norton ES2

26 minutes ago, Stevan said:

I have seen people who have attached a length of plastic pipe to the underside of the van so there is nowhere else for the drill adapter to but onto the steady.

That's exactly what I did 2 days after buying my van!

Very simple job - just 2 lengths of plastic household waste water pipe, drilled as per diagram, and screwed into the underside of the wooden floor - no need for pipe-clamps. (Make sure your winder fits inside the tube - I use an extended one in a drill).

1609856932_Caravanwindertube.jpg.596ba47ccd155e8e1b904c2f7d1cbb30.jpg

John

Edited by Johnaldo

to save welding onto the steady how about a hexagon tube that fits over the steady nut. wield a nut onto the tube with a hole drilled into the tube. screw a bolt with another nut on it, into the nut on the tube, through the tube and tighten against steady. once tight, then tighten second nut. you can then attach to the extended hexagon tube but it will be a larger diameter so you would need another socket or stick a smaller hexagon inside to bring it back to original size

macafee2

12 minutes ago, Johnaldo said:

Very simple job - just 2 lengths of plastic household waste water pipe, drilled as per diagram, and screwed into the underside of the wooden floor - no need for pipe-clamps. (Make sure your winder fits inside the tube - I use an extended one in a drill).

John

Worked for us on 2different caravans, simple design and works.

14 minutes ago, Johnaldo said:

John

Good idea :Thankyou:

Jonaldo has it exactly right.!

I did that 3 years ago after reading about it on the forum.

Bit of a fiddle to attach the plastic tubes in the right place but once done they have never needed any alteration.

Maybe not the cheapest option but what's another £46 on top of the price of a new van!

https://www.al-ko.com/shop/uk_vt/products/caravan-accessories-1/corner-steadies-accessories/comfort-kit.html

1210506.jpg

53 minutes ago, PWoodley said:

Maybe not the cheapest option but what's another £46 on top of the price of a new van!

https://www.al-ko.com/shop/uk_vt/products/caravan-accessories-1/corner-steadies-accessories/comfort-kit.html

1210506.jpg

I didn't realise they sold them, but as you say its a lot of money for what effectively are plastic tubes. I think the DIY option is the way to go :)

1 hour ago, LeadFarmer said:

its a lot of money for what effectively are plastic tubes. I think the DIY option is the way to go :)

If you go to Wickes you can buy tube and clips and it'll cost you £4.   And you'll still  have 2.5 metres of tube left over   :D

Here's mine which I knocked up more than 10 years ago.

1832724354_winderguide.JPG.d9519a1ae6e97d5c920e94fbe32cde06.JPG

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

I have no trouble at all finding the steady nut, there is a cutout on the skirt to show you where it is.

If you have problems bring yor caravan around to my house and I will do it for you :D

'I know' is just 'I Believe' with delusions of grandeur

Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4 PHEV 4H

Unicorn 4 Cadiz

28 minutes ago, Artleknock said:

I have no trouble at all finding the steady nut, there is a cutout on the skirt to show you where it is.

If you have problems bring yor caravan around to my house and I will do it for you :D

So you make holes, in skirts!!!:D

18 minutes ago, LeadFarmer said:

So you make holes, in skirts!!!:D

They are put there by the caravan manufacturer,  in our case, a Bailey Pageant

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

3 hours ago, Jaydug said:

If you go to Wickes you can buy tube and clips and it'll cost you £4.   And you'll still  have 2.5 metres of tube left over   :D

Now that's what I call good thinking!  Well done jayjug.

Vin Blanc

It is sometimes better to say nothing and be thought a fool, than to speak out and have it proven!

Frontera 3. 2L V6 4x4 tugging Compass Magnum Classic 540 (quite easily!)

Tripod mounted 57cm "Arcon Multi" prime focus dish - Humax Foxsat HD Recorder.

14 hours ago, Jaydug said:

Nice and simple, I like that :Thankyou:

• 6 months later...

After six months of cursing every time I have to locate the steady sockets, I have  finally got around to sorting this out, copying previous ideas posted here. I used 40mm pipe to give plenty of room for the drill attachment to fit onto the socket..

IMG_0381.jpeg

Edited by Guest

On our Fleetwood there are galvanised steel guide tubes which are welded to the steady framework, and a couple of holes drilled across the end of the tube to fit a padlock to prevent entry of a socket.

Land Rover is now back towing.