arty 25

13inch to 14inch wheels

Hi I've got a caravan with 13inch wheels and am looking to put 14inch alloys on it there both 4 stud will this be ok from 13 to 14 ? Thanks Arthur

Edited by arty 25

May I ask why you want to do this?

Yes,should be OK as long as the pitch circle is the same which it should be. Will give you more ground clearance to.

The change in rim size is not an issue.

Much more important is whether or not they fit the wheel well, offset, width and diameter. Not to mention PCD.

And, whether they can carry the load, normal car rims each carry only a quarter of the weight of a car, but most caravan wheels have to carry quite a bit more, half the weight of a caravan!

It'll give more ground clearance but increase the roll rate and reduce stability - that may be marginal but every little helps.

2 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

It'll give more ground clearance but increase the roll rate and reduce stability - that may be marginal but every little helps.

Surely that depends on tyre profile! A lower profile tyre on a slightly larger rim could have the same rolling diameter.

Hi thanks to all you and to wispman the wheels on it look tiny and by putting newer bigger looking alloys on it to give it a better look and trying to upgrade the look of it as it's a old van but am trying to modernize it s bit cheers

Edited by arty 25

Make sure the new alloys are rated for the weight - most car wheels at that size are only rated for about 500 kg.

Hi thanks to all you and to wispman the wheels on it look tiny and by putting newer bigger looking alloys on it to give it a better look and trying to upgrade the look of it as it's a old van but am trying to modernize it s bit Cheers

There off a  swift caravan 2015 so they are caravan wheels thanks and I'll check out the pcd fitment I forgot about that

21 minutes ago, WispMan said:

May I ask why you want to do this?

Just want to give it a better look it's a old van and am going to upgrade it if I can

Edited by arty 25

5 minutes ago, arty 25 said:

There off a  swift caravan 2015 so they are caravan wheels thanks and I'll check out the pcd fitment I forgot about that

You will also need to ensure that you have the correct bolts for the wheels.

Generally, caravans changed from 4-stud to 5-stud at the same time as they changed from 13" to 14" but there may have been exceptions - that will make sourcing 4-stud 14" caravan wheels hard to find.

Edited by Black Grouse

Unless you compensate the larger diameter of the wheels with lower aspect ratio tyres you will lose wheelarch clearance and run into the risk of tyre/wheelarch contact under full bump, rather like the infamous Bailey/AlKo axle failure problem.

• +1 1

5 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

Generally, caravans changed from 4-stud to 5-stud at the same time as they changed from 13" to 14" but there may have been exceptions - that will make sourcing 4-stud 14" caravan wheels hard to find.

Aye the guy said that who is selling them there hard to get there uncommon 

Starting to think he is selling my car alloy's and saying they are Caravan wheels think I'll just put new tyres on it and new trims ? 

1 hour ago, arty 25 said:

Starting to think he is selling me car alloy's and saying they are Caravan wheels think I'll just put new tyres on it and new trims ? 

8 minutes ago, arty 25 said:

Starting to think he is selling me car alloy's and saying they are Caravan wheels think I'll just put new tyres on it and new trims ? 

That is a very sensible decision arty 25, enjoy your van.

Edited by Sea&Sand

13 hours ago, arty 25 said:

Starting to think he is selling my car alloy's and saying they are Caravan wheels think I'll just put new tyres on it and new trims ? 

The rims can probably be used for a car or caravan however the tyres probably need to be commercial tyres.

10 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

The rims can probably be used for a car or caravan however the tyres probably need to be commercial tyres.

It depends whether the rims were type approved for the respective wheel load.

37 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

As I posted earlier, car wheels of that size are probably not rated for the weight necessary for a single axle caravan - this can also be a problem for SUVs where after-market wheels are fitted.

Just watch the offset too if you suspect they might be car wheels (as well as the load bearing capabilities) as a lot of caravans are a low offset, probably et20 or so, whereas a lot of car wheels will be more like et40, meaning they will sit in closer to the chassis and almost certainly foul it, the lower the et number the more the wheels stick out from the hub centre, I've put 14 inch car wheels which are et43 on my old trailer (built from an ex caravan chassis so it's a standard 90s alko at heart) and had to use 20mm spacers to get the offset close to correct again (et20) this would be highly inadvisable on a caravan though, I only did it with the trailer as it's on car tyres and barely 500kg, although if I ever need to put anything weighty in it I'll switch the wheels over with the caravan as they're luckily the same hubs.

Edited by clarkey1984

On 03/09/2019 at 21:55, arty 25 said:

I'd stick with existing wheels, splash out on good quality new tyres and (assuming you have steel wheels) some new wheel trims. When you're changing tyres you could take opportunity to give wheels good scrub or even get one of the many wheel refurbishing companies to strip and powder coat.

Might be worth having a word with your  insurance company as it is a modification to original caravan.

On 06/09/2019 at 09:00, TenStar said:

I'd stick with existing wheels, splash out on good quality new tyres and (assuming you have steel wheels) some new wheel trims. When you're changing tyres you could take opportunity to give wheels good scrub or even get one of the many wheel refurbishing companies to strip and powder coat.

sounds like a good idea cheers