Putting to bed for Winter

Anne75

Hi all, 

I've just completed my first summer with my caravan and wondered if anyone could give me a check list of things to do before I leave it for the winter. It's at a storage place, not at home. 

Many thanks 

Anne 

Extend your season, use it in spring and autumn as well as summer to get more value from it.

Make sure the hot/cold water is drained down - drain the toilet flush fluid - recharge the battery once a month - leave the handbrake off - make sure all windows/vents are closed down - remove any food kept in the caravan.

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

On 03/09/2019 at 08:30, Anne75 said:

Hi all, 

I've just completed my first summer with my caravan and wondered if anyone could give me a check list of things to do before I leave it for the winter. It's at a storage place, not at home. 

Many thanks 

Anne 

Hi Anne,

Have a look at winterising stuff HERE for information.

John beat me to it :rolleyes:

Edited by BOAC
addition

It's not even Autumn until September 21st! the children haven't even gone back to school yet. 

Ssangyong Korando Sports SX / Adria Altea 472DS Eden

Thought the first day of Autumn was on Sunday?  Anyway, don't forget the dehumidifiers (the ones with what looks like cat litter:D).  Its so very surprising how much moister they do trap.  You will need to change the stuff every couple of months or so.  Also, leave your fridge open and your bed, cupboards and underseating as well.  This will let air circulate

23 minutes ago, Babstreefern said:

Thought the first day of Autumn was on Sunday?  Anyway, don't forget the dehumidifiers (the ones with what looks like cat litter:D).  Its so very surprising how much moister they do trap.  You will need to change the stuff every couple of months or so.  Also, leave your fridge open and your bed, cupboards and underseating as well.  This will let air circulate

with there being vents to the outside world I would have thought a dehumidifier would be fighting a losing battle.

Unless battery is needed in the van i'd remove it and keep it at home for charging.

If possible put on axle stands to let suspension rest but as in storage this may not be possible

Any thing that can freeze and break its container I would remove.

leave taps open

leave toilet cassette part open

wash and polish externally

is storage inside or out?

macafee2

29 minutes ago, Babstreefern said:

Meteorologically, autumn started 1st September but astronomically it doesn't start until the 21st.

IMO dehumidifiers are a waste of time - yes, they'll extract moisuture but the fixed ventilation just keeps admitting outside air.

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

With the many drop holes that caravans have, the dehumidifiers will pull in moisture from the outside atmosphere. You'll be trying to dry the earth's atmosphere!

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

There’s so much advice out there and everybody thinks their opinion is the right way. We use our van a lot and last winter were above the Arctic Circle in snow at -25 midday temperatures (Vito towed perfectly throughout). We winter in Estonia so experience around 3 months of snow and temperatures as low as -30 (excl wind chill) with at least a month where the temperature never rises above freezing. 

We find draining the water system, opening all cupboards and putting a couple of roof vents open slightly works perfectly. We do not use a caravan cover and simply connect the caravan to hook-up once a week to charge the battery. If snow builds to more than a foot deep on the roof, I clear it off. It also helps that despite being on level ground, I use the caravans feet and jockey wheel to park it steeply angled to ensure water can run off quickly. 

This way the temperature inside the van stabilises to reflect the temperature outside the van. Air naturally circulates and because there is no man-made difference to temperature or humidity in the van, there is no condensation or any sign of damp. 

So my method works for us but there is no one size fits all. Our garden (where we park the caravan) gets no sunlight from November to March as the sun never rises high enough in the sky. The humidity levels in Estonia are lower than in UK and air that is constantly sub-zero is dry. We also have no trees nearby. So I would suggest you use common sense based on your local environment and monitor/tweak as you go along. But also reconsider how you use the caravan, ours is a four season vehicle that is used Year round and taken out of hibernation as and when needed so in the past twelve months has been to UK, Bosnia, Russia and the Arctic and all the countries between in every season and been towed through 40C summer and -25C winter in wind, rain, snow and sun; caravans are not fair weather vehicles; all you need for year round use is the right equipment and imagination. 

There’s so much advice out there and everybody thinks their opinion is the right way. We use our van a lot and last winter were above the Arctic Circle in snow at -25 midday temperatures (Vito towed perfectly throughout). We winter in Estonia so experience around 3 months of snow and temperatures as low as -30 (excl wind chill) with at least a month where the temperature never rises above freezing. 

We find draining the water system, opening all cupboards and putting a couple of roof vents open slightly works perfectly. We do not use a caravan cover and simply connect the caravan to hook-up once a week to charge the battery. If snow builds to more than a foot deep on the roof, I clear it off. It also helps that despite being on level ground, I use the caravans feet and jockey wheel to park it steeply angled to ensure water can run off quickly. 

This way the temperature inside the van stabilises to reflect the temperature outside the van. Air naturally circulates and because there is no man-made difference to temperature or humidity in the van, there is no condensation or any sign of damp. 

So my method works for us but there is no one size fits all. Our garden (where we park the caravan) gets no sunlight from November to March as the sun never rises high enough in the sky. The humidity levels in Estonia are lower than in UK and air that is constantly sub-zero is dry. We also have no trees nearby. So I would suggest you use common sense based on your local environment and monitor/tweak as you go along. But also reconsider how you use the caravan, ours is a four season vehicle that is used Year round and taken out of hibernation as and when needed so in the past twelve months has been to UK, Bosnia, Russia and the Arctic and all the countries between in every season and been towed through 40C summer and -25C winter in wind, rain, snow and sun; caravans are not fair weather vehicles; all you need for year round use is the right equipment and imagination. 

open all taps and drain down, including the yellow drain tap.  Open all cupboards , drawers and fridge. Take home bedding,  towels, throws , clothes and carpets, take all  food  home.  Put the seats on their end on the slats.  Clean the van inside and don't block any air vents. If you have a tracker / alarm you will need the battery left in the  'van. If you have a solar panel to charge the battery all well and good, if not you will have to take it home to charge every 6/ 8 weeks. Move the 'van  half a tyre every couple of months so that your tyres don't have a flat spot .  Wind the jockey wheel right down so that the roof slopes downward, to save any pooling on the roof.

Edited by joanie

Thank you all for your advice. I can see I've done some of the things suggested but not all. I need a bit of a maintenance morning! 

I solely use my caravan for going to dog agility competitions, not actually holidaying hence the early end to the season. Oh and I'm a teacher so it's definitely the end of summer 😏 

I may use it once later in the year but otherwise that's me done for now! 

Thank you 

12 hours ago, Anne75 said:

Thank you all for your advice. I can see I've done some of the things suggested but not all. I need a bit of a maintenance morning! 

I solely use my caravan for going to dog agility competitions, not actually holidaying hence the early end to the season. Oh and I'm a teacher so it's definitely the end of summer 😏 

Thank you 

Good to see another proper dog person on here. We don’t do agility but the caravan does allow us to travel to international Sleddog competitions without worrying about finding accommodation all the time. Have fun 🙂

18 hours ago, Anne75 said:

Thank you 

ah, anne you should have entered hare N hounds next weekend, or longfield this weekend. Still plenty of use to be had :D

2010 Lunar Delta Ti pulled by a 2012 Volvo XC60 D3 AWD remapped to 210bhp & 501Nm

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/09/2019 at 11:36, anthdci said:

ah, anne you should have entered hare N hounds next weekend, or longfield this weekend. Still plenty of use to be had :D

Aha! I've still got a few more comps, but all much more local. Going to go further next season 🙂