Sign in to follow this  
Apple Pie

240v plugin

Hi,

Today taking our caravan home to clean.

Only purchased on Friday.

There is an electric cable to  ? connect 240v from house to charge / use caravan sockets, there are the blue typical 12 v round plugs or do we need a transformer or it built in to the blue plugs?

There is also a 3 pin plug on side or caravan, what is this for?

Thanks in advance for your help?

Chris

Hi Chris

I assume you want to use electric hook up? You should have a hook up lead, with the ( industrial type) blue round plug and socket, the van will use a standard 240V supply.

If you want to power the van when at home you need a converter for 3 pin domestic to the blue connector, as shown below. 

image.png.aefb2462156dceb95bd81cf9d2c0bc6b.png

Transformer not needed. 

If you're thinking of the heavy box type as used on construction sites, these are to drop the voltage to 110 volts  for power tools and can be identified by the yellow round plugs and sockets. The blue ones won't fit these. 

The 3 pin domestic type socket will be for appliances used within the awning for example, and is an outlet,  not an inlet.

And this 3 pin outlet on the outside is 240V mains.

The connector on the outside of the van should also be blue round but containing 3 pins. Your EHU cable will have a connector socket (i.e. holes) which connects to it. The other end of the EHU will have a trailing 3 pin plug which you connect to the adapter pictured above by Dave.

There may also be a standard 13A socket beneath a cover on the outside of the van on the door side to provide power or whatever inside an awning.

What make and model van is it?  Here's the EHU lead ( 240V, 16A)  for on site that should be supplied.

image.png.63b00ba22bb780dd6893b8be758e20d0.png

Edited by Dave Capiro owner

24 minutes ago, Dave Capiro owner said:

What make and model van is it?  Here's the EHU lead ( 240V, 16A)  for on site that should be supplied.

image.png.63b00ba22bb780dd6893b8be758e20d0.png

I thought all caravans new or secondhand had to be supplied with one.

Bought 3 second hand vans from dealers but never been given one!

• Like 1

On my recent p/x dealer insisted I left hook-up cable in.

16 minutes ago, David 38 said:

On my recent p/x dealer insisted I left hook-up cable in.

Of course they do - some dealers then remove it so the used buyer has to buy a new cable - it also avoids them having to retest/certify the cable before selling it on - the removed cables may end up on ebay!

1 hour ago, WispMan said:

Bought 3 second hand vans from dealers but never been given one!

The last caravan I owned was 18 months old when I bought it, the current one I bought new but as an ex demonstrator last year. 

I didn't get a lead with either of them, I'm still using the one that came with my 2007 Bailey. 

6 hours ago, Dave Capiro owner said:

Hi Chris

I assume you want to use electric hook up? You should have a hook up lead, with the ( industrial type) blue round plug and socket, the van will use a standard 240V supply.

If you want to power the van when at home you need a converter for 3 pin domestic to the blue connector, as shown below. 

image.png.aefb2462156dceb95bd81cf9d2c0bc6b.png

Yes this is what we have, pluged it in and all works OK

7 hours ago, Stevan said:

Can I suggest that, as a beginner, you spend an evening or two watching this,

http://www.caravanchannel.co.uk/videos?vid=665

Thank you I will

1 hour ago, Apple Pie said:

Yes this is what we have, pluged it in and all works OK

I had one of these, but then the hook up lead got run over so I had to use the end of this to replace it with, I've since bought one of these and fitted it to the outside of the house, I also bought new male and female ends and am planning on buying 20m of new cable as the 15m one I've got has been just a tiny bit too short on the odd occasion on sites, have had to park the caravan at an odd angle to get it to reach.

16a-3-pin-240v-wall-socket-1100-p.jpg

31 minutes ago, clarkey1984 said:

I had one of these, but then the hook up lead got run over so I had to use the end of this to replace it with, I've since bought one of these and fitted it to the outside of the house, I also bought new male and female ends and am planning on buying 20m of new cable as the 15m one I've got has been just a tiny bit too short on the odd occasion on sites, have had to park the caravan at an odd angle to get it to reach.

Clarke’s, IIRC both major clubs recommend at least 25m cables.

John

21 hours ago, Apple Pie said:

There is an electric cable to  ? connect 240v from house to charge / use caravan sockets, there are the blue typical 12 v round plugs or do we need a transformer or it built in to the blue plugs?

There is also a 3 pin plug on side or caravan, what is this for?

The lead with the blue plug and socket are to connect a mains (240V) supply directly to the caravan. Always connect to the caravan before inserting the other end into a supply point. This lead can then power the caravan's internal 240V sockets, the fridge, water heater and other accessories. The external three pin mains socket is to provide 240V power to the awning area when on site, and should have a weather proof cover over it when not in use.

https://www.caravantalk.co.uk/caravan-advice/electrics/hook-up-your-caravan-to-ehu

Adaptor lead - 13A plg - 16A skt.jpg

I would recommend you get a qualified electrician to add a 16A RCD protected outlet to where you store your caravan as that way you can use your normal EHU lead to power the caravan at home. Alternatively for temporary connection only, purchase an adaptor lead as shown above, and connect this to an RCD protected outlet and connect the caravan to the adaptor.