Caravan and Motothome Club outrageous gas prices

AlanNancy

Why does it matter? 

Theres freedom of choice here, just like any other purchase. If you want/need gas conveniently, you pay whatever is being charged for it. If you prefer to shop around for a better price, no ones stopping you. 

If making money out of it is why wardens do it, good luck to them.

If they didn't make money, so didn't do it, what would you do on running out of gas half way through cooking dinner?

'I know' is just 'I Believe' with delusions of grandeur

Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4 PHEV 4H

Unicorn 4 Cadiz

43 minutes ago, Dave Capiro owner said:

I only carry the one bottle, so if I ran out of gas I'd happily pay the extra fiver if it kept my BBQ going for tea.

I usually carry one bottle but it's a Safefill and not only do I pay less than £10 to completely fill it but, of course, I can see what gas I have left and never run out! 

20 hours ago, Crannoghome said:

Just a thought, but if the wardens provide the replacement gas bottle service out of the goodness of their hearts, why is gas mentioned as a ‘facility on site’ on the web and in the club handbook; who provides the secure storage enclosure for the bottles and who funds the many fresh bottles they hold, bearing in mind their high cash value and the regular changeover of wardens?  Then there’s the insurance aspect of the bulk storage of gas cylinders on club sites, the adherence to gas storage regulations and the club’s duty of care to its members to provide a safe environment.  Everything above indicates to me that it is the club who is in control, not the wardens.

In addition, many sites use bulk Calor gas for hot water and heating in the facilities, so the club will have an account, which means that they would buy fresh gas bottles at wholesale prices and so should be selling them at the usual full retail price - without a mark-up.

As I attempted to explain above the Club owns all the hardware such as gas bottle cages and fridges. The Wardens are fully trained in the safe use of all equipment as part of their T&Cs of employment.

Whatever is left, full gas cylinders for resale or ice-cream past its use by date at the end of season, the loss is borne by the Warden unless they are able to mitigate some losses by passing on costs to a new Warden team. My understanding from Wardens is that each site has a separate Calor cash only account with their local Calor supplier which is not related to the Club arrangements with Calor.

What surprises me about this topic, which started life as Red Top headline and largely degenerated into Social Meja overcharging scandal, is that it hasn't been moved to the Social Club section.  :rolleyes::(

Is OP sure he's comparing eggs with eggs?  A 6kg lite refill is always more than a 6kg steel refill, and 

£28 is precisely what I paid in April for a CMC Calor Lite earlier this year

just discussing this with the OH and he agrees with the OP.   His argument is that if they charge 10p for providing a newspaper, which is fine, why then should they charge £4.55 for providing a gas refill ?

I said that everything in the camp shop is overpriced and that you pay for the convenience of not having to go out to buy it, but, he says that  £4.55 is beyond a joke. 

When we go to sites in future we will be taking note for how much wardens are charging for this service.  Are the profits from the shops part of the warden's earnings or does it go into the club funds, does anyone know? 

44 minutes ago, joanie said:

just discussing this with the OH and he agrees with the OP.   His argument is that if they charge 10p for providing a newspaper, which is fine, why then should they charge £4.55 for providing a gas refill ?

I said that everything in the camp shop is overpriced and that you pay for the convenience of not having to go out to buy it, but, he says that  £4.55 is beyond a joke. 

When we go to sites in future we will be taking note for how much wardens are charging for this service.  Are the profits from the shops part of the warden's earnings or does it go into the club funds, does anyone know? 

I hope he finds the same values at 5:00pm on a Sunday afternoon when you’ve run out of gas and the warden’s is the only supply available.

Or you have forgotten to bring something for the bbq you have arrange for friends, and the warden has what you need.

They are providing provisions and a service on site and outside of their job, it is not unreasonable for them to add a premium to cover this.

At the end of the day no one make you buy from the site wardens, those of us that appreciate what they do will continue to utilise the service.

I said all that in my post about the convenience. The point that he was making is that £4.55 is too much , a couple of quid is acceptable.  I will also say that we have purchased quite a bit over the years from the camp shops,  gas included, but when we bought ours it was a similar price to the outside shops.

2 hours ago, Rodders53 said:

Is OP sure he's comparing eggs with eggs?  A 6kg lite refill is always more than a 6kg steel refill, and 

£28 is precisely what I paid in April for a CMC Calor Lite earlier this year

Where in my original post do I mention 'Lite'? Yes I was comparing eggs with eggs - at the CMH site 6kg steel refill at the hardware store 6kg steel refill!

Alan

23 minutes ago, joanie said:

I said all that in my post about the convenience. The point that he was making is that £4.55 is too much , a couple of quid is acceptable.  I will also say that we have purchased quite a bit over the years from the camp shops,  gas included, but when we bought ours it was a similar price to the outside shops.

I very much doubt he makes only £4.55.

He most likely makes that over and above what he would make if he adopted Calor's suggested minimum retail price, based on what Calor would charge him as a reseller.

Having myself an LPG account that includes free delivery, that built in mark up is I know a pretty healthy one, where here the normal reseller's storage and insurance cost are we suspect covered by the Club.

Their wages IMO should be adequate for the job they do without the need to run a private retail business on the side.

Edited by JTQ

26 minutes ago, joanie said:

The point that he was making is that £4.55 is too much , a couple of quid is acceptable. 

What price do you put on the convenience of having gas on site, I guess when you have run out and there is none available locally you will pay what you need to.

Is someone pays £10m for a painting that you think is only worth £50, is that a rip off?

Or is that someone paying what they think is a fair price for what they have bought!

11 minutes ago, JTQ said:

Their wages IMO should be adequate for the job they do without the need to run a private retail business on the side.

So you don’t think it’s the wardens trying to add a bit of value to the site, like providing provisions and a range of accessories.

20 minutes ago, AlanNancy said:

Where in my original post do I mention 'Lite'?

Keep your hair on ;) 

Just sounded suspiciously similar pricing to my Lite purchase in April, so just wondered if they only had Lites and quoted you that price.  (It would then only be £1.55 over normal retail).

https://chorleybottlegas.co.uk/gas-cylinders-north-west/calor-gas-lpg-cylinders/propane-gas-cylinders/ is the place to buy Calor from if you're in that area! 

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/s:calor+gas/?search=calor+gas is also good if you have a discount card and buy enough in store to warrant the £5 pa price of one.

On ‎02‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 12:11, Grandpa Steve said:

You could have walked away and gone elsewhere, but it was your choice to pay that price.

Perhaps you should have shopped around first.

where does the OP say he purchased the gas at £28 ?

macafee2

43 minutes ago, macafee2 said:

Nowhere.  His original post states that CMC Bognor wardens quoted him that price for a refill.

Paid . £29 for a 6kg bottle one Bank Holiday Monday in East Yorkshire,if needs must.

Geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

2 hours ago, macafee2 said:

macafee2

He didn't say he didn’t, all he said was he went to buy from the CMC site, the implication being he bought and afterwards rang the other place to discover it cheaper, hence the rip off.

If you haven’t bought it it’s not a rip off.

23 minutes ago, Grandpa Steve said:

If you haven’t bought it, it’s not a rip off.

Not in my book, there it is a rip off you have side stepped.

When I hear people bemoaning the price of something I often wonder how they deal with matters that affect their own income, wages, salary or other means of income. I'm guessing that most probably want to maximise their income to their own benefit yet they're content to comment adversely on others doing the same thing. 

The phrase 'rip off' gets bandied around frequently.  However, when buying something that is providing an income stream to someone else. I find it amazing how incredibly well informed many people think they are about the financial position of other people they are dealing with. In relation to this thread does anyone 'really' know the exact financial details of the supply arrangements of gas supply arrangement to a CMC site? Is stock provided on account, is it all paid for up front, are there discount structures in place?  In my opinion the truth is it doesn't matter it is the wardens' business nobody else's.

If I want to buy something about which I'm price sensitive then I'll ask the price and make a value judgment as to whether I'm willing to pay that price, or perhaps I'll  exercise my freedom of choice and shop around. Some purchases I make are price sensitive others are not, I'm sure we'll all have different views and values, which is to be expected. Ultimately one person's rip off may be another person's acceptable price of convenience.  

On 04/09/2019 at 00:34, jetA1 said:

When I hear people bemoaning the price of something I often wonder how they deal with matters that affect their own income, wages, salary or other means of income. I'm guessing that most probably want to maximise their income to their own benefit yet they're content to comment adversely on others doing the same thing. 

The phrase 'rip off' gets bandied around frequently.  However, when buying something that is providing an income stream to someone else. I find it amazing how incredibly well informed many people think they are about the financial position of other people they are dealing with. In relation to this thread does anyone 'really' know the exact financial details of the supply arrangements of gas supply arrangement to a CMC site? Is stock provided on account, is it all paid for up front, are there discount structures in place?  In my opinion the truth is it doesn't matter it is the wardens' business nobody else's.

If I want to buy something about which I'm price sensitive then I'll ask the price and make a value judgment as to whether I'm willing to pay that price, or perhaps I'll  exercise my freedom of choice and shop around. Some purchases I make are price sensitive others are not, I'm sure we'll all have different views and values, which is to be expected. Ultimately one person's rip off may be another person's acceptable price of convenience.  

So if I understand you correctly you are saying -don't check the price of anything just cough up! Or have I got that wrong?

Alan

If you have ever been in sales and had any level of training you will have come across the Cost vs Value comparison and diagram.

Where the Cost is higher than the perceived Value the buyer will not go ahead. 

When the perceived Value is greater than the Cost then the sale takes place.

There are many factors that affect how the buyer sees the value, it could be that even though the cost is high the chance of someone else getting what you want is great and you don’t want to miss out, you will buy the item, high spec used cars are good example, where the dealer is asking top dollar because they know there are some but not many of that spec available.

Do you shop around for a cheaper one risking someone else snapping it up, or do you buy it even though you perceive it to be overpriced.

With regards to bottled gas, the OP had the opportunity to see the price and thought in comparison to its value was high and tried elsewhere.

The dilemma would have been the other seller saying I have one bottle left, I close at 5:00pm can you get here in time, or if someone else comes in for one I can’t save it for you!

One value shifting scenario, the other being had the OP tried elsewhere and the gas was not available, then there would have been a re-valuation and a decision made as to whether the value in having what they want in front of them exceeded the cost, making the value of the gas greater.

We buy 13kg bottles for boats at work. Calor deliver free if order is over 195kg of gas. That equates to 15 bottles but if we order anything less, say 14 bottles, our supplier charges a flat £4 delivery fee. Reasonable we think 😉.

At our place of storage, 6kg Calor propane is on offer at £23.50.

At a builders merchant I pass on the way 3 miles from it, £17.32 for the same size.

No good if I run out on site though.

Stay safe - Griff.  :ph34r:

Wheels at the front Green Oval Towing Machine

Wheels at the back Bessacarr 845

2 hours ago, Griff said:

At our place of storage, 6kg Calor propane is on offer at £23.50.

At a builders merchant I pass on the way 3 miles from it, £17.32 for the same size.

No good if I run out on site though.

That's a good price. They sell calor where I work you would be be surprised at the price we buy cylinders in at. At £24 it is more than 100% mark-up.

Whatever, you will pay the price.  I think (sorry confusion of which gas), you may even get it cheaper at supermarkets.  Anyway, don't want to be one of those people who are political correctness or whatever, but do the wardens actually have a proper storage site for camping gas bottles.  They are usually in metal cages which are permanently locked up.  But if you are in between a rock and a hard place, and you desperately need the gas, then the wardens are a god send, especially if your gas runs out before your roast is properly cooked through:D

2 hours ago, Babstreefern said:

Whatever, you will pay the price.  I think (sorry confusion of which gas), you may even get it cheaper at supermarkets.  Anyway, don't want to be one of those people who are political correctness or whatever, but do the wardens actually have a proper storage site for camping gas bottles.  They are usually in metal cages which are permanently locked up.  But if you are in between a rock and a hard place, and you desperately need the gas, then the wardens are a god send, especially if your gas runs out before your roast is properly cooked through:D

If you care to read my previous posts you will find the answers you need, politically correct or not.:rolleyes: